Author Topic: Messages From The Heartland  (Read 2119673 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Messages From The Heartland
« Reply #270 on: October 12, 2006, 05:52:45 pm »
I goofed!  I meant to say I-90 in the first place. That probaly turns into I 80/90.  i just know it gets us from NY to Chicago! And we cross Indiana to do so. I was thinking of route 95 thats a route in NY. Like I said I really dont drive many of the out of state trips. If I did , they would still be looking for us! :)

Geri, if you were driving from New York to Chicago, I'm almost positive you were driving on 80/90. Sometimes they call it the "Indiana Toll Road".

The funny thing is people are always trying to figure out a way to drive around 80/90 and avoid paying the tolls. But in the process, they end up adding a lot of extra miles to their trip. I don't think it would be worth it. Why spend more time in the car and use more gas than is neccessary? Tolls aren't that big of a deal. I would much rather pay the tolls, conserve the gas and get to my destination as quickly as possible.

Those "toll ditchers" are probably the same people who climb under the toilet stalls rather than pay the 25 cents and keep their clothes clean from sliding around on that nasty NASTY bathroom floor.  :P
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
« Reply #271 on: October 12, 2006, 06:04:18 pm »
LOL!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "

Offline Andrew

« Reply #272 on: October 12, 2006, 09:06:02 pm »
Yeah, I would really love to find out more about this gay man and what happened to him. I will keep checking the Internet.

David, I saw it on Andy Towle's gay interest blog Towleroad

http://towleroad.typepad.com/towleroad/

He does cover hate crimes and political news pretty consistently.  You can click certain categories like Crime, New York, and so on under a story and get related stories.

Now don't go spending too much time over there -- you're needed here!  Andy reports (especially) on New York - you report (especially) on Indianapolis!!

Andrew

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #273 on: October 12, 2006, 10:15:25 pm »
Thanks Andrew for finding some information about this and posting the link to it here!  :)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #274 on: October 12, 2006, 11:52:44 pm »
David, I just took the Indiana Toll Road, all the way from post #1 through post #273 of your Messages from the Heartland.  You're right, it is a beautiful place.  Except for that dog, of course.  I literally thought it was mummified, at first look. 

I remember "God Didn't Make Little Green Apples" very well from my childhood.  And today I went to the mall (which I do about twice a year), and the Nutcracker Suite was playing.  Hunh?  Merry Octmas.

I'd like to hear more about the artist's colony, please, if anyone has more.

Clarissa

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #275 on: October 13, 2006, 12:13:02 am »

I'd like to hear more about the artist's colony, please, if anyone has more.

Clarissa

Clarissa-

I will try to find some information about it for you. If I come across some, I will post the info here, and I will pm it to you as well.  :)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #276 on: October 13, 2006, 12:50:59 am »
Earlier today, I was watching the news and I noticed something scroll across the bottom of the screen (this was before that awful plane accident in NewYork City). It said a gay man was lured outside his apartment and into a park by four teens who sent him IMs on his computer promising him sex. As he approached the teens, they started to attack him. As he tried to escape, he ran into traffic and was struck by an automobile. Apparently he is in critical condition at a local hospital. The police are calling this a "Bias Incident".

The plane crash was very scary and sad too.  Interestingly, I was past that building on Saturday during my NYC urban hike and knew exactly where it was when they gave the location.  I bought 2 buttons from a street vendor right near there - 'Coexist' and 'Homophobia is a social disease.'

I found this news item tonight; at least this source named it appropriately.  Probably 'bias inicident' is the latest PC-term the talking heads want us to buy into...sounds awfully neutral and harmless doesn't it?  Hope the guy makes it.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime_file/story/460844p-387712c.html
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
« Reply #277 on: October 13, 2006, 01:51:30 am »
Lynne. David,
If that's an accurate report...then I have to say that is so sad. Why do people still carry on like this? What could they possibly get out of doing things like this to another human being?  Hate crime?  How do people that age "Hate" so much? They don't have a clue yet what the big picture is all about!
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "

Offline Andrew

« Reply #278 on: October 13, 2006, 02:04:45 am »
David, I saw it on Andy Towle's gay interest blog Towleroad

Now is this uncanny?  It didn't occur to me when I posted this that your discussion had just passed to tollroads?  Andy Towle pronounces his last name 'toll', and the blogname Towleroad is a pun on that.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #279 on: October 13, 2006, 02:05:35 am »
Thanks Lynne! I will definately check out the article. Thanks for posting the link.   :D