Author Topic: Messages From The Heartland  (Read 2138287 times)

Offline wulfar360

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • myspace
Re: Messages From The Heartland
« Reply #280 on: October 13, 2006, 02:41:55 am »
this is just disturbing  :o :'(

i do the online  thing at times with no gay  areas in my  town its really the only way i can meet people not sure il go into any details on here  :o
Sometimes it all still feels like a mass of dots               
but
more and more these days
I feel like we're all connected
and it's beautiful   
and funny
and good.

Aaron Davis Latter Days

"Its better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are  not"

Offline Bucky

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #281 on: October 13, 2006, 07:09:20 am »
David,

I loved your original post.  Your description of Indiana was really great.  I have been to southern Indiana in New Albany and Jeffersonville just across the river from Louisville.  I also have many relatives and friends all across Indiana. From the far north near the Michigan state line to Zionsville which is a suburb of Indianapolis on to southern Indiana.

I am from Kentucky and like you I spent one year in Florida but it was in Miami, Florida and other than that I have lived in Kentucky all of my life.  Kentucky is a lot like Indiana in outlook and is definitely a "red" state like Indiana.  Kentucky is alright but I would have preferred to live in Florida but due to my job and family it looks like I will be stuck in Kentucky for a long time.  So I guess I will just have to make the most of it.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #282 on: October 13, 2006, 10:16:10 pm »

I am from Kentucky and like you I spent one year in Florida but it was in Miami, Florida and other than that I have lived in Kentucky all of my life.  Kentucky is a lot like Indiana in outlook and is definitely a "red" state like Indiana.  Kentucky is alright but I would have preferred to live in Florida but due to my job and family it looks like I will be stuck in Kentucky for a long time.  So I guess I will just have to make the most of it.

Bucky - I lived in Evansville, Indiana from October 1994 - February 2002 and my house was situated about 2 miles from the Ohio river. I use to go to Henderson, Kentucky all the time. I even shopped at the Wal-Mart in Kentucky because it was closer to my house than the Wal-Marts in Evansville. I also worked for a company in Madisonville, Kentucky for a short time. I am very familiar with Kentucky; especially Western Kentucky. Kentucky is a beautiful state.  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #283 on: October 13, 2006, 10:23:25 pm »
this is just disturbing  :o :'(

i do the online  thing at times with no gay  areas in my  town its really the only way i can meet people not sure il go into any details on here  :o

Yes it is very disturbing. I have never participated in those kinds of things on the Internet, although I certainly don't frown on those who do. But this report serves as a stark reminder that people really do need to be very careful if they are engaging in such activities on the Internet; especially in this day and age.  :(

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #284 on: October 13, 2006, 10:29:20 pm »
Lynne. David,
If that's an accurate report...then I have to say that is so sad. Why do people still carry on like this? What could they possibly get out of doing things like this to another human being?  Hate crime?  How do people that age "Hate" so much? They don't have a clue yet what the big picture is all about!

Geri - Yes it is very sad, and like you I also have a difficult time understanding the big picture... if there even is one. I never could understand how my orientation could make others so angry and violent. But it does. We must remember though that there is many other acts of hate too; hatred of race, religion, nationality, ect. and all of these forms of hate are equally as sad and pathetic as hatred towards gay people.

Now is this uncanny?  It didn't occur to me when I posted this that your discussion had just passed to tollroads?  Andy Towle pronounces his last name 'toll', and the blogname Towleroad is a pun on that.

Andrew. That is weird. I didn't even notice this when I took a look at the blog yesterday. I wonder if it means anything? It is very uncanny, just like you said.  :o

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #285 on: October 13, 2006, 11:24:55 pm »
Current Weather in Indianapolis: Clear, Windy and Cold    Temp: 40 F (5 C)
My Current Mood: Happy and COLD.

Other than getting my hand stuck in the kitchen sink (long story), nothing much really happened yesterday.

I did drive to my Dad's house tonight and had dinner with him. This trip today is the most driving I have done since my injury up at Lake Wawasee (Dad lives on the opposite side of town; about 30 miles away). I spent about 2 hours with him and I brought my dog along too! Cody spent most of his time running around the golf course while I visited with Dad. He cooked some hamburgers on the grill, and I dowsed my hamburger with a bunch of catsup, mustard, a big pile of lettuce and a bunch of salt! (I'm a saltaholic).

After my visit with Dad, I drove back to my house. Just as I walked through the front door, some friends pulled up in the driveway. They are still here, but I ducked into my bedroom for a few minutes to see what was going on at Bettermost.

We had a beautiful sunset here in Indiana tonight, and I took these pictures while I was at Dad's house. I wish I would have taken them a few minutes earlier because the colors were more brilliant. By the time I made it out to my car to get the camera, the colors had already started to fade....

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I also took this picture the night of the infamous "Full Moon Chat" on Bettermost a couple weeks ago. We call it the "Harvest Moon" here in Indiana. I'm sorry the picture isn't clearer. I couldn't find my tripod and I ran outside to take the picture while we were waiting for someone to arrive in the chatroom. I had to set a wide aperture and a relatively fast shutter speed to keep the picture from blurring too much.

Edit: Everybody wants to watch a scary movie so I guess I will head back downstairs. Normally I don't watch horror movies, but it's almost Halloween! I'll just carry the laptop downstairs so I can continue to post while we watch the movie.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 11:29:35 pm by David925 »

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
« Reply #286 on: October 14, 2006, 01:14:05 pm »
David~

Beautiful pictures! So that's what you were doing in chat on the harvest moon night? You said you were letting Cody out.
 The moon is a perfect Halloween moon! I can just imagine a witch on her broom flying in front of it. Hey look! Theres one now!    Yes that's your moon!

Geri         
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 02:38:44 pm by Arad-3 »
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "

Offline Andrew

« Reply #287 on: October 14, 2006, 01:55:15 pm »
I wish I would have taken them a few minutes earlier because the colors were more brilliant. By the time I made it out to my car to get the camera, the colors had already started to fade....

Actually, David, those more delicate purples and blues (not usually seen in sunset pictures) accord very well with the finely cut foliage in the silhouettes of the trees.  Those are nice pictures!  I can still remember my wonderful grade school art teacher in Indianapolis, Mr Peters, telling us that a work of art never comes out exactly as you intend.  And that you can come to be grateful that it did not.

I also like the sequence of two pictures, so you can see how the upper level and lower level clouds were blowing in different directions in the time in between - suggesting motion like the individual frames of a kinetoscope.

And what about the fact that the second picture is aimed a little lower, which enhances the effect of gathering darkness?  Probably unintended, but once you recognize something like that in your creation you are ususally happy that it came out that way.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 02:34:22 pm by Andrew »

Offline Andrew

« Reply #288 on: October 14, 2006, 02:18:54 pm »
Other than getting my hand stuck in the kitchen sink (long story), nothing much really happened yesterday.

You are going to have to train Cody to sense when you are about to do something like that so he can start barking frantically!

mvansand76

« Reply #289 on: October 14, 2006, 04:24:58 pm »
You are going to have to train Cody to sense when you are about to do something like that so he can start barking frantically!

That is a great idea Andrew, because these kinds of things happen to David ALL the time, not only on Friday the 13th....

Will you tell them about the time you got stuck on your roof because of a cat?

:)