Author Topic: Messages From The Heartland  (Read 2119952 times)

mvansand76

Re: Messages From The Heartland
« Reply #330 on: October 20, 2006, 07:08:19 am »
Current Weather In Indianapolis: Cloudy.     Temp: 42 F (5 C)
My Current Mood: Tired

I just received a call from a close friend of mine, (at 1:45 am on the morning, no less) and I have been informed that we, the local chamber orchestra I belong to, have been asked to perform Handel's Messiah at a venue here in Indianapolis during the Christmas season.

Wow, that's great, David! Congrats!

injest

« Reply #331 on: October 20, 2006, 08:04:38 am »
re: George Frederic Handel

I suspect he would be very happy that he has achieved what so many people want...immortality. How many people have lived and died in total obscurity? Whose names are lost? Whose lives really have faded away to nothing...

He will always be known and his music played. If it is true that we only ever really live in the thoughts of others then he will live forever.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #332 on: October 21, 2006, 12:17:51 am »
Current Weather in Indianapolis: Mostly Cloudy    Temp: 40F (4 C)
My Current Mood: Optimistic

I paid my father a visit earlier this afternoon. While I was there, I decided to drive down one of the side streets in his neighborhood in search of some autumn colors.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

As you can see, we really don't have much color here in central Indiana yet. The leaves are just starting to change.The colors normally peak here around Halloween. I will check back and I will try taking these pictures again in a week or two.   :D

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

mvansand76

« Reply #333 on: October 21, 2006, 03:41:38 am »
Oh God, that is really beautiful, can you send some high-res to my e-mail? JW wants to use them for a painting... :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #334 on: October 21, 2006, 09:47:11 am »
Oh God, that is really beautiful, can you send some high-res to my e-mail? JW wants to use them for a painting... :)

Absolutely!   :D

I'll send them to you later on today.

Offline Andrew

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #335 on: October 21, 2006, 07:47:54 pm »
I posted some pictures of the local (New England) trees in my Nature Journal in Anything Goes last week.   Two of them are of red maples which are very close to the crimson color of yours, David.  I'm really glad I took those pictures when I did; there was a ferocious wind storm last night and most of the maple leaves are gone.  I may venture tomorrow to see if there is anything left on the majestic little grove of tupelos which always go a spectacular scarlet - it was only starting to turn last week so I am cautiously optimistic.   The whole Song of Fall is... Don't delay!  Take your picture today, don't wait for even brighter colors.  Watch the squirrels, see how busy they are with their preparations.  The afternoons are short, the warmth lasts only a few minutes, the red and orange flare up and then all turns to cold and ash.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 08:08:29 pm by Andrew »

Offline Andrew

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #336 on: October 21, 2006, 08:28:39 pm »
I just received a call from a close friend of mine, (at 1:45 am on the morning, no less) and I have been informed that we, the local chamber orchestra I belong to, have been asked to perform Handel's Messiah at a venue here in Indianapolis during the Christmas season.

Messiah is one of the very, very select art works that have been taken to the people's hearts and are builders of community, like our film.  So many people have sung or played in a local performance.  I have wonderful memories of playing clarinet in a community performance when I was in school.  The conductor told us that the clarinet parts, like the flute and horn parts, were added for a revival by Mozart; they are still kept in most modern performances for the instrumental color.  So it was Mozart's fan music which enabled me to join the Handel's Messiah community!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 08:54:00 pm by Andrew »

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #337 on: October 22, 2006, 01:08:12 am »
Messiah is one of the very, very select art works that have been taken to the people's hearts and are builders of community, like our film.  So many people have sung or played in a local performance.  I have wonderful memories of playing clarinet in a community performance when I was in school.  The conductor told us that the clarinet parts, like the flute and horn parts, were added for a revival by Mozart; they are still kept in most modern performances for the instrumental color.  So it was Mozart's fan music which enabled me to join the Handel's Messiah community!

Yes, actually The Messiah was originally written for a very small orchestra and choir. I am glad you had a chance to play your clarinet and take part in it.

I was instructed to begin working on the following...

Overture
Comfort Ye, My People
Every Valley Shall Be Exalted
And The Glory of the Lord
Behold A Virgin Shall Conceive
O Thou That Tellest Good Tidings To Zion
For Unto Us a Child Is Born
Rejoice Greatly, O Daughter of Zion
The Lord Gave The Word
Their Sound is Gone Out
Why Do The Nations? (a good song for this day and age, don't you think?)
Let Us Break Their Bonds Asunder
He That Dwelleth In Heaven
Thou Shalt Break Them
Hallelujah
I Know That My Redeemer Liveth
Since By Man Came Death
Then Shall Be Brought To Pass
O Death, Where Is Thy Sting?
But Thanks Be To God
Worthy Is The Lamb
The Great Amen

My cello isn't cooperating though.

I think it is mad at me.

I think it feels neglected. I haven't really practiced much for a month or two.

Just before I became sick, I was working on was "Unaccompanied Cello Suite No. 1 in G Major" By J.S. Bach (BWV 1007)

Also, Violin Concerto No. 3 (K216) By Mozart.

Do you know these Andrew?

Now I must switch and begin working on The Messiah.

... if my cello cooperates, that is! (I mean, it couldn't possibly be me... could it?)   ;)

Edit: I HATE spelling errors!  :P
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 01:16:28 am by David925 »

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #338 on: October 22, 2006, 01:22:49 am »
The afternoons are short, the warmth lasts only a few minutes, the red and orange flare up and then all turns to cold and ash.

Oh, isn't that the truth?

I often think the brilliant autumn color is nature's last attempt at gaining a little more attention from us just before going to sleep for the winter.

Edit: More spelling errors. I misspelled "autumn" this time.  >:( >:(
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 01:25:36 am by David925 »

Offline Bucky

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #339 on: October 22, 2006, 01:46:34 am »
David,

Those trees are breath taking.  I have a maple tree similar to the one in the top picture in my back yard. It might be turned just a little more than the one in the top picture.  I live in east central Kentucky about eighty five miles from Huntington, WVA and about one hundred twenty five miles from Lexington, KY.  Although I live closer to Huntington I have a sister who lives in Lexington and I so spend more time there.  I live about two hundred miles from Cincinnati and about two hundred miles from Louisville.  I think Bowling Green, KY is as far west as I have been in the state by car.  I think I have told you that I have been in southern Indiana but not as far north as Indianapolis but I have relatives and friends all over Indiana.

Congratulations being in Handel's Messiah.  It is one of the great musical compositions of all time.