Author Topic: Messages From The Heartland  (Read 2147909 times)

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
Re: Messages From The Heartland
« Reply #830 on: November 16, 2006, 06:53:49 pm »
I was just thinking David that Thanksgiving's are alot like Sundays. I don't like Sundays either. Something always been a downer about sundays to me. And its not because the next day is monday either. i actually welcome Mondays cause everything has come to life again. I really cant pin point what makes sundays feel like that.
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #831 on: November 16, 2006, 08:03:56 pm »
I was just thinking David that Thanksgiving's are alot like Sundays. I don't like Sundays either. Something always been a downer about sundays to me. And its not because the next day is monday either. i actually welcome Mondays cause everything has come to life again. I really cant pin point what makes sundays feel like that.

Oh Sundays are a total bore! I agree with you. I love Saturdays though!  :)

The only thing I like about Sundays is watching the Colts game on TV. And I never watch the whole game. I just flip over to the channel its on every once in awhile to check the scores and watch for a few minutes. I think Indy might lose this Sunday though. We are going to be playing a very tough team. We may end our winning streak this coming Sunday. We are playing Dallas, and Indianapolis is only favored to win by one point.... which means it will be a VERY close game.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Andrew

« Reply #832 on: November 16, 2006, 10:06:56 pm »
That Puritan clampdown on Sundays really spoiled half the weekend, didn't it?  And did for a few hundred years.  From the time I was little Sundays were always depressing.  If I had to go to church, for example.  Although my family became Quakers when I was about ten, there were no silent meetings in Indianapolis, so I had only the conventional Protestant-format meeting to look forward to.  A sermon that was way too long, with bad Protestant jokes.  Hymns that everybody was struggling to sightread the words and music to, especially for those later verses.  The futility of a collection plate being passed around, like a remark nobody could understand - not me at least!

Then in the afternoon I couldn't play with the girl next door because her mother didn't want her to play on Sundays, she was just supposed to stay indoors and stay clean.

Then in the evening, the homework I always waited for the end of the weekend to do.  And my mother getting depressed in the other room that she had to start planning the school week for her pupils.

Strange to say, Sundays don't make me feel low any more.  I parted ways with all those rituals and restrictions long ago.  Now my Saturdays and Sundays are inseparable best buds!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #833 on: November 16, 2006, 11:08:27 pm »
Hey Andrew!  I didn't know you were Quaker. When I was a member of the Carmel Junior Symphony Orchestra, we use to hold our rehearsals in a Quaker church in Carmel, Indiana. They were so nice to us. They opened the church up to us every week (I think we practiced on Tuesday evenings) and they would even have refreshments for us. This was before I joined the Carmel Symphony Orchestra. Ever since, I have always admired the Quakers. I know they disapprove of homosexuals, and nearly everything else I stand for. But I will never forget the kindness they extended to me and my orchestra when I was 11 or 12 years old.

Your post made me remember something else too. I remember being forced to attend Mass as a child. This was back when Mass lasted longer than an hour; more like two hours. Our church didn't have air conditioning when I was young (although they did get a/c later on). As you know, Indianapolis gets very hot in the summer, and we would sit for hours in that hot church frantically fanning ourselves to stay cool. Just before Mass began, men would walk up and down the church, poking open alll the church windows with long poles. It didn't help much.

Dad and I would have to wear our suits to Mass; mom and my sister would wear a dress, a veil on their heads and gloves. We would sit and listen to the priest ramble on in Latin (St. Matthew's was one of the last churches in the city to switch over to the vernacular Mass) and once we arrived back home, my sister and I were told to stay in the house so we wouldn't get dirty (just like your friend you told us about). I would go down to the basement and spend the rest of my Sunday afternoon playing with my lego or Lincoln logs.

I don't attend Mass anymore (nor do I attend any other church or religion) but Sunday's just always seem so depressing and boring to me; even now. I guess you can take the boy out of the church, but you can't take the church out of the boy, can you? Or at least I can't seem to shake the bad memories of it. Catholicism was rough on boys like me... especially back then. Unfortunately it hasn't changed much over the years.

Sundays suck!!  :P....... ;)

« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 11:10:06 pm by David925 »

Offline wulfar360

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon
    • myspace
« Reply #834 on: November 16, 2006, 11:12:57 pm »
Not to intrude on all the fun, but what is the rating on this thread? NC17?    :P ;D

david and scott have no fault in this its totally mine i seem to drag perfectly good threads from G to XXX in a matter of a single post =/ imsorry ! :'(
Sometimes it all still feels like a mass of dots               
but
more and more these days
I feel like we're all connected
and it's beautiful   
and funny
and good.

Aaron Davis Latter Days

"Its better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are  not"

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #835 on: November 16, 2006, 11:14:04 pm »
Well I usually like Sundays.  I like Sunday morning when the cats are sitting on my lap and I have coffee and the crossword puzzle. Well I used to do the crossword puzzle but now I'm on the computer all the time.

I don't mind Thanksgiving. It's a 4-day weekend (well it would be if I was employed, but oh well). I think of all the maniacs out there shopping their fool heads off & I'm so glad I'm not out there with them. My mom doesn't like to cook either. We always went over to grandma's and she had a huge spread. I didn't like any of that food and didn't like to eat that much. (Boy has that changed!) My family has gotten smaller & smaller. There will only be 6 of us at my parents' house next Thursday. My dad cooks the turkey. We have never gone out to eat for any holiday.

I really don't like any holidays. The ads for Christmas on tv drive me bonkers and I pretty much have to stop watching tv until the New Year. It bothers me that even shows where characters are Jewish - like "Will & Grace," "Seinfeld," or "Friends" still has to be about a christian holiday.

The weather here in Minnesota has been cold. It can get cold and snowy here but we have lots of clear blue sky in the winter, not rain and clouds.

That's my rant from the heartland tonight.

g'night

cc33 / Leslie K

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #836 on: November 16, 2006, 11:22:41 pm »
Hey! I do have one good memory of church. I just remembered this!

I remember listening to our choir singing the Kyrie, Gloria, Sanctus,etc. as the huge pipe organ accompanied them with thundering music so loud it literally shook the church. I was too small to actually see the choir up in the loft, but I could clearly hear them singing. I could never figure out where the singing was coming from. I thought it was the angels singing!

I'll never forget that.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #837 on: November 16, 2006, 11:28:21 pm »

I really don't like any holidays. The ads for Christmas on tv drive me bonkers and I pretty much have to stop watching tv until the New Year. It bothers me that even shows where characters are Jewish - like "Will & Grace," "Seinfeld," or "Friends" still has to be about a christian holiday.

cc33 / Leslie K

Leslie... I know EXACTLY what you mean. They start these commercials before Halloween! By the time Christmas arrives, we are all sick of it. It's terrible. Cory and I watched "Hans Brinker and the Silver Skates" the other night, and that movie ALWAYS puts me in the Christmas spirit. But all these commercials and ads will kill my spirit long before Christmas actually gets here.

Oh, I despise "Will & Grace"!  :P :P :P

That show is AWFUL! The only character I actually liked in that show was Karen.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #838 on: November 16, 2006, 11:30:51 pm »

david and scott have no fault in this its totally mine i seem to drag perfectly good threads from G to XXX in a matter of a single post =/ imsorry ! :'(

Richard, I already told you!! You didn't do it.

I did it. I was the one who threw the parties and posted the nearly nude men in this thread.

It was fun, but it just got carried away. It's nobody's fault. If it is anyone's fault, the fault would be mine.  :)

Offline GG

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #839 on: November 16, 2006, 11:41:08 pm »
  Why does it have to be anybodys fault? Can't you have some fun in your own place anymore? There's alot of threads here that you can post on if you want serious!!  I just read a few more pages of this blog David. It looks like good clean fun to me!  Im' just sorryI missed it!

Greg
meow!