Author Topic: I've seen Candy  (Read 5973 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Re: I've seen Candy
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006, 05:32:21 pm »

BTW, back to Candy, do you know Australia will release the DVD in November?

No, I didnt know that, but I assumed it would be released sometime before the end of the year....the movie never got to our regional town, and I have always thought i would see the dvd before it came here.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Katie77

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 09:25:07 pm »
I got the DVD last night, and watched this movie......

I would not have usually watched a drug themed movie, but only wathced it because Heath was in it....

Firstly, being a bit naeve about the drug scene, it did open my eyes to how it infiltrates into peoples lives....as a parent, I felt very much for the Candy's mum and dad.

The fact that the story is true, makes it all the better, and I am definately going to find the book and read  it, and hopefully, it will give me more detail....Unfortunately, I havent read much about the author, so am not aware of where his life went after "Candy", but I am interested to find out....There is probably another story there too.

I know first hand, of the reality of this movie.....some friends of mine have a daughter who could have been "Candy"......she got caught up in the heroin scene, which led to prostitution, stealing, and any other way of getting funds to feed her habit....she eventually sought rehab, and during that rehab, she found religion, as well as her future husband....She has since gone on to marry, have three kids, and wrote a book on her experiences....this has led to her doing extensive travel to promote her book, and do public speaking on her life and recovery.

Even though I had read her book, and had many discussions with her parents about her, I still couldnt imagine the type of life she led, but watching the characters in this movie, has painted the picture very clearly.

Heath's performance is brilliant.....I know I am biased, and would love him in anything, but I did think that he showed in his own way, a special kind of love for Candy.

Couldnt help look for similarities and mannerisms that I am so accustomed to from Brokeback......I seemed to zone in on his hands quite a bit, compared the love scenes, had a chuckle about him talking about selling himself to gay men, and loved the glimpse of his butt in one of the love scenes.

Tonight in Australia are the AFI (Australian Film Industry) Awards....Heath is out here because he is nominated for an award as best actor in Candy, as is Amy Cornish, it will be interesting to see if he wins.  He is also a presenter, so I am looking forward to watching it on tv tonight. Dont know if Geoffrey Rush is nominated, but he should be, he is just one of the best actors around.

As an Aussie, I am so proud to see Heath come back and make such a good movie here....

Oh yeah, something else I noticed, in the credits........Heath's assistant.....Noel Bell, or Nigel Bell (not sure on the first name)......I remember someone writing way way back about this bloke.....he was Heath's assistant on Brokeback too.....does anyone remember the story about him?

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 10:16:02 pm »
I saw Candy down in Boston last Saturday. It will have a limited release in the US.

My capsule review:

Heath is good. Abby Cornish is good. The subject is depressing. Has anyone ever made a heroin movie that is not depressing?

If you are looking for a scenic view of Australia, for perhaps future travels, this is not it.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Katie77

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 10:20:46 pm »

If you are looking for a scenic view of Australia, for perhaps future travels, this is not it.

L

Yes, Leslie, that was disappointing.......gee, i lived in Sydney 30 odd years and I didnt recognise any place in the movie.......I guess its the part we dont want to see.....

Except for the number plates and drivers licence, and money, there wasnt much of Australia familiar.......