Author Topic: Where were you in the Great Blackout of 2006?  (Read 9242 times)

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
Re: Where were you in the Great Blackout of 2006?
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2006, 05:41:37 pm »
The message was:

"Connection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later."

Picking apples. ;D Going outside and doing stuff. ;D
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2006, 05:48:05 pm »
The message was:

"Connection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later."

Picking apples. ;D Going outside and doing stuff. ;D

OK... that is on our end.  It can happen when the server gets overloaded.  We are exploring increasing our server capacity, mostly because when people are parked in the chat system, it causes a big CPU drain on the server.  Usually these issues resolve in a few minutes, but if this was going on for hours, I'm concerned about that.

Yes... Rochester is seeing one of the rainiest years EVER recorded so on those days when the weather is actually tolerable, I want to be outside.  It's remarkable that our temperatures have been fairly comparable to Riverton (although they are warmer than us today), but Wyoming is much drier.  I decided since the weather was rather blah yesterday and it rained all night last night that I would get out of the house today.  Western NY is very well known for its apples.  NY is the second largest apple producer in the country.  Washington state delivers more eating apples, but western NY is especially well known for its cooking and storing apples.

The other big crops here are cabbage, grapes (mostly for wine from the Finger Lakes region), and corn.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

injest

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2006, 05:53:13 pm »
Phillip

If it helps any there were four of us in chat, two in the campfire and two in the Admin room...then we all moved to the campfire and a couple of others joined us...

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2006, 05:54:59 pm »
Phillip

If it helps any there were four of us in chat, two in the campfire and two in the Admin room...then we all moved to the campfire and a couple of others joined us...

If Chat Day didn't blow a gasket for the site, today sure shouldn't.  I wonder if they chat room still functioned during the outage though?
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

injest

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2006, 06:08:33 pm »
Phillip, no the chat room did NOT work during the blackout...the background came up but it never opened...

and it didn't come back online til several minutes AFTER the rest of the site came up

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2006, 06:17:01 pm »
I'm officially addicted. If I hadn't known it till today, I would definately know it now  ;D
Glad the forum is back!

off-topic:
oh!! I am so jealous....my baby did an awful awful thing I am not sure I will EVER forgive him for....he GREW UP!!  >:( >:( :'( :'(

I MISS him as a toddler...why can't we keep the old version when the new one shows up?? I love him as a teenager but lort he was the cutest toddler...

He he, there's only one way to get relief: get more kids. it doesn't save you from noticing one day that all your kids have grown up, but it does postpone this moment  :)

Anke:
Kerstin and I saw Candy two days ago and plan to see The Perfume this week. I'm already looking forward to it  :)

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2006, 12:25:11 am »
There was a blackout?  Where?

Offline opinionista

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2006, 05:42:59 am »
There was a blackout?  Where?

Here Del. The forum crashed for about six hours. Some of us were driving nuts!
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2006, 05:46:15 am »
Phillip

Is there a way to log into the chat other than clicking on the red lips? I was at the chat when the system went down and was booted out from it as soon as it crashed. I could not come back because there was no way I could access Bettermost main page.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline David

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2006, 06:10:25 am »
It was indeed frustrating.    I was home all day.  It was raining here in Connecticut, so I was pretty much house bound.   So I started a fire in the fireplace and bounced back and forth from watching TV and seeing if BetterMost was back online.    Would have prefered having my own Cowboy to cuddle up next to in front of the fire however.    ;)