Author Topic: Alma's feelings for Ennis  (Read 14570 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Alma's feelings for Ennis
« on: October 02, 2006, 07:26:24 am »
This keeps bothering me for a while now: What are Alma's feelings for Ennis?

Marrying, raising children, leading a family life was what Alma was supposed to do. Maybe it was not her big dream of life, but I think Alma was not raised to have big dreams (like Ennis - and Jack for that matter, but he had them anyhow).

Did Alma have dreams other than having a husband and children when she was a teenager, before she married Ennis? I don't think so.
I think she was successfully trained to want this (the family life) and actually DID want it.
For this purpose she needed a man, willing to marry her. God knows how they met and fell for each other at least enough to get engaged (any ideas, other from them being introduced and pushed by their families?).

I do think she loved him.
I do think she was loyal and devoted.
I do think she made efforts to keep this marriage going.
I know it was a shock for her to see our boys together.
I do think her whole world was falling apart during that night when Ennis and Jack were in the Siesta.

But I do not believe that, at any time of their realtionship, Ennis was everything to her. The one love you desperately long for, the one person in the world you are meant for, the one person you can't live without.

I think it was the whole package she wanted: husband + kids + a nice place to call home + enough money to keep ahead of the bills = a 'normal' family life. And Ennis seemed to be the man who could give this to her. But somehow I have the feeling, she would have taken another man, too - if only he was likeable enough and promised her the said package.

This is supported by the story: how undramatic their marriage came to an end. No real trouble, just widening water, "...what am I doing, hanging around with him, divorced Ennis and married the Riverton grocer".

Doesn't sound like she was a heartbroken woman, destoyed by the realization that her husband didn't love her like he should.

Phew, I rambled a lot here, just let my thoughts flow. Bottom line is: I think Alma loved Ennis, but I do not think she loved him so deeply that he meant the world to her.

mvansand76

Re: Alma's feelings for Ennis
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 08:14:36 am »
I think she was expecting from Ennis what every woman should be able to expect from the man she marries, that he would love her and be faithful to her. When both those things did not turn out to be true, she put up her defenses and went for the next big thing, Monroe.

I do believe Alma loved Ennis very much, mostly because he was so emotionally unavailable (same reason why Cassie fell in love I guess, he was such an enigma and so manly and the combination can be really attractive) and she really hung on to the signs of affection from Ennis through the years. I think, though, as soon as she had been directly confronted with Ennis and where Ennis' heart really lay, she put up a barrier and emotionally distanced herself from him to avoid being hurt.

Do I make sense?  ;)

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 10:05:40 am »
I've never known exactly how to interpret her expression at the Thanksgiving table, but I've never seen it as all that fond. To me, she looks kind of peevish, though trying to maintain a cordial veneer. If I had to guess, I would say she is uncomfortable that her new husband, with his vibrator electric knife, appears so wimpy compared to her ex, with his rugged bronc-riding tale. And the girls so obviously adore their dad, again no doubt in contrast to their feelings for their step-dad. The weird look that Ennis gives Alma after telling the story adds to my impression that there is tension in the room.

As for Alma's feelings while they were still married, I think she loved Ennis. But I don't think the love was particularly passionate, because she just wasn't a passionate person. Nor did she really expect passion from him. As Chrissi says, her expectations from life were pretty simple: husband, kids, place in town she can fix up real nice. Once she had those things, she didn't look much beyond them. That's why she didn't realize anything was amiss with Ennis until she saw how different he was with Jack.

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 10:42:50 am »
Chrissi - great idea for a thread! I've wondered too how they got together, how much 'initiative', conversational and otherwise, Alma showed in pursuing the relationship.

The weird look that Ennis gives Alma after telling the story adds to my impression that there is tension in the room.
That looks reminds me of the one Ennis gives Jack when he asks him about everybody knowing. I wonder if maybe he thought that saddle bronc story was a step or two too close to Jack who he had told Alma "rodeos mostly."

Far as Alma's expression - goadra and Katherine, can I agree with both of you?
 I can easily believe that she was experiencing a lot of different emotions.
Resentful that the girls were his angels and she never was (recalls the moment in the story when Ennis tells Jack that he loves his two little girls to pieces and says nothing about how he feels about Alma, and her mouth twitches)/
rexperiencing for a moment the old feeling of being in love with him and feeling happy when he is/
angry about Jack/
pleased that she's making another life for herself.
 But keeping it all under control best she can, trying to be nice, and then Ennis makes that comment about once burned, and Alma has her 'lake scene', by a sink full of dirty dishes.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 12:55:38 am by fernly »
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 10:46:26 am »
Alma has her 'lake scene', by a sink full of dirty dishes.

Good observation, Fern! I never noticed that as being another instance of Alma and Jack contrasted via tap water vs. outdoor water.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 10:59:59 am »
I also didn't see Alma as fuming or sulking. She has her "yeah, sure enough" ironic smile on, and she also seems to me to be pretty hormonal (being pregnant at the time). Interesting that she gives that strange smile at the table just after drinking from a glass of milk.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 12:35:29 pm »
I've never known exactly how to interpret her expression at the Thanksgiving table, but I've never seen it as all that fond. To me, she looks kind of peevish, though trying to maintain a cordial veneer. If I had to guess, I would say she is uncomfortable that her new husband, with his vibrator electric knife, appears so wimpy compared to her ex, with his rugged bronc-riding tale.

An impression I've often gotten from that is that Alma is one of those unfortunate people who always wants something else other than what she has.  'I want this handsome, mysterious guy', never mind 'I want this nice dependable good provider who's obviosly always been in love with me' no that's not it, 'I want...."  In love or not, someone like this is not going to ever be satisfied. Maybe that's a curse her own family background has left her with.

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 12:55:19 pm »
Good points about mixed feelings, and about Alma wanting what she didn't have at the moment. And about Alma being hormonal at Thanksgiving. ;D I wonder if she would have had her "lake scene" if she hadn't been pregnant?

In the movie, Alma looks pretty infatuated with Ennis at first -- at the wedding, and sledding, and at the drive-in. She's so young, though, and it seems like she doesn't know Ennis very well... though maybe nobody except Jack knows Ennis very well.

I've got a question about Alma's line "I'd have them if you'd support them." How much of that do you think represents the way Alma really feels, and how much is trying to hurt Ennis? I know she has another baby (or more than one?) with Monroe, so maybe she means it. But, on the other hand, she's getting pretty bitter toward Ennis, and he's just told her that the only reason to have sex with her is to make babies.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 01:11:57 pm »
I've got a question about Alma's line "I'd have them if you'd support them." How much of that do you think represents the way Alma really feels, and how much is trying to hurt Ennis? I know she has another baby (or more than one?) with Monroe, so maybe she means it. But, on the other hand, she's getting pretty bitter toward Ennis, and he's just told her that the only reason to have sex with her is to make babies.

I don't know if she's deliberately trying to hurt Ennis -- in the movie she says it kind of hesitantly, and in the story she says it under her breath -- but tell you what, I've never quite understood what the deal is with Ennis' income and Alma's frustration over it. He's not in a very lucrative field, he quits jobs to be with Jack, and she says they're behind on the bills. On the other hand, he seems responsible and hard working; it's not like he's drinking up his paychecks while the girls go hungry. They have two incomes. So why are they so broke? Why does Alma hold Ennis so responsible for their money problems (beyond it just being the way people thought about marital roles in those days, I mean)?

Between that, and her comments about the apartment in town and the electric-company job, Alma seems quite money-conscious. That's one reason I think she's better off with Monroe.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006, 02:18:01 pm »
Great idea for a thread.  :)

I think Alma loved/loves Ennis. I think she loved him more than she was able to articulate to herself, even. She's not better at articulating her real emotions than Ennis is, seems to me, which makes sense given their probably similar backgroud although she apparently had more of an intact family, growing up.

I wouldn't be surprised if the two of them met at some sort of Church Social thing, actually.... I can imagine Ennis's sister dragging him along before she moves to Casper.

But anyway, I think as a down-to-earth person not given to flings of fancy or elaborate fantasies, Alma probably defined love to herself as wanting a small slice of that "American dream; husband, kids, a home - and constantly improving their material conditions. More "nice things". Financial security. Not by leaps and bounds, but little by little. A husband to cuddle up to, like in the car when she's expecting Junior.

She's still living that dream, and thinking she's got that love, when they "move to town"; - but at that point she has no reason - not enough psychological understanding, probably no reason for comparison - to see that something is missing from hers and Ennis's marriage. Then reality hits hard..... I do think she truly loves Ennis. I think that's why she clings to him for as long as she does, - even though Monroe (in the film, at least) seems to be around and available, even from before J&E's  Reunion.

I don't think she'd actually have minded their status quo financial situation so much if she'd known herself to be loved by Ennis.... As she matured as a person, she'd have managed to distinguish better between love as a deepfelt human emotion and love as some sort of woman's magazine tale of pretty curtains. But she wasn't given that chance of developing insight with Ennis. 

I think the "I'd have them if you'd support them" is her way of saying "I'd have them if you'd really loved me". And I do believe she wanted more kids - as far as I can understand, she and Monroe has at least two - the one she's carrying on Thanksgiving and the "new baby" Junior refers to around two years later.

I'm not even sure she's not a passionate person - but she's certainly been thorughly conditioned not to seem to be. And Ennis's behaviour when he's with her doesn't exactly encourage the release of big time passion on her part, either. Nor do I think her life with Monroe opens up for that. And so it seems a lot of pent-up passion gets directed into resentment and even bitterness in her, for I think I do see quite some amount of passion gone awry in the Thanksgiving scenes. I think she still loves Ennis at that point, though she channels it into deep hurt and resentment..... and though she has by then completely given up on himand gone with the available alternative solution. Which did give her a husband, a nice home, kids, improving financial situation.....but which also, I suspect, is teaching her the difference between *that* and love.

I have very much sympathy for Alma and the hard life lessons she learns. I feel very sorry for her. And for Lureen. One of the reasons that I like the film so much is that it does look at the wives with very sympathetic even compassionate eyes.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2006, 02:30:55 pm »
I do believe Alma loved Ennis very much, mostly because he was so emotionally unavailable (same reason why Cassie fell in love I guess, he was such an enigma and so manly and the combination can be really attractive) and she really hung on to the signs of affection from Ennis through the years. I think, though, as soon as she had been directly confronted with Ennis and where Ennis' heart really lay, she put up a barrier and emotionally distanced herself from him to avoid being hurt.

Do I make sense?  ;)

You make completetly sense, I just tend to have another opinion  ;D I don't see her as totally in love with Ennis from the beginning on.

As for Alma's feelings while they were still married, I think she loved Ennis. But I don't think the love was particularly passionate, because she just wasn't a passionate person. Nor did she really expect passion from him. As Chrissi says, her expectations from life were pretty simple: husband, kids, place in town she can fix up real nice. Once she had those things, she didn't look much beyond them. That's why she didn't realize anything was amiss with Ennis until she saw how different he was with Jack.

Maybe that's just what she was: a not very passionate person. Guess she hadn't very passionate feelings about Monroe either. But we don't know.

In the movie, Alma looks pretty infatuated with Ennis at first -- at the wedding, and sledding, and at the drive-in. She's so young, though, and it seems like she doesn't know Ennis very well... though maybe nobody except Jack knows Ennis very well.

Yes, she's somehow sweet and nice, also after 4 years of marriage, when Ennis is waiting for Jack. But I still got the feeling she wasn't particulary infatuated with Ennis as a person, but with her husband. This fits with your remark that she didn't know him very well: had she been  totally into Ennis, had he been her once-in-a-lifetime-love, she would have noticed that something is pretty wrong before she saw them; she would have gone crazy with his holding back, with his inaccessibility.

Alma's expression at Thanksgiving:
Her half-smile says she at least half-fondly remembers those times (even though most / all happened after the reunion), likes seeing the girls enjoy their father’s presence, but her smile is weighted down by everything that’s happened.

Wow, a complete different reading from what I think about her in this scene. I think she is resentful. I think her smile to be forced, fitting perfectly into the tension. I got the feeling she does not like Ennis to be with her (new) family at her new home (pretty nicely fixed up, btw), with her new husband. She invited him only for the sake of their children.
Both, her daughter (Junior) and Ennis give uncertain looks to her, as if looking for clues about her mood. Looking as if they want to make sure they don't say anything wrong, anything that could make her sad/angry.

But fernly has some good points, too. It's only natural to have mixed feelings.

I don't know if she's deliberately trying to hurt Ennis -- in the movie she says it kind of hesitantly, and in the story she says it under her breath -- but tell you what, I've never quite understood what the deal is with Ennis' income and Alma's frustration over it. He's not in a very lucrative field, he quits jobs to be with Jack, and she says they're behind on the bills. On the other hand, he seems responsible and hard working; it's not like he's drinking up his paychecks while the girls go hungry. They have two incomes. So why are they so broke?

In the story, they aren't so broke with both of them working. "She saw she'd always have to work to keep ahead of the bills Looks to me that they managed to come around with two wages.
But if she'd have another baby, they'd have additional costs and less income. At least for a while she'd have to stop working.

Why does Alma hold Ennis so responsible for their money problems (beyond it just being the way people thought about marital roles in those days, I mean)?

It's part of the package she wanted, what includes traditional role allocation.

While I was typing, Mikaela's reply came in. But this post is long enough and I'll send it just as it is, before reading Mikaela' post.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2006, 11:20:06 pm »
Marrying, raising children, leading a family life was what Alma was supposed to do. Maybe it was not her big dream of life, but I think Alma was not raised to have big dreams (like Ennis - and Jack for that matter, but he had them anyhow).

Did Alma have dreams other than having a husband and children when she was a teenager, before she married Ennis? I don't think so.
I think she was successfully trained to want this (the family life) and actually DID want it.

Heya,

This is a great thread.  As upsetting as Alma is as an obstacle to Jack and Ennis's relationship, I feel tremendously sorry for her.  I love that you used the word "trained" in relation to Alma's aspirations in life because that exactly how she seems to play her role.  She seems very tied to convention (not surprisingly, I guess due to her supposed upbringing) and I'm sure this is why she blames Ennis for the money problems. I also think the "money problem" issue is a convenient cover for the underlying and more major problem in their marriage.  It's easier to argue over money and they never argue over Ennis's sexuality until long after the divorce.  So, that scene when they're in bed and Alma brings up the topic of bills, this is really a ploy to get Ennis off of her.  The subtext is that she no longer wants to have sex with him... and the easiest way to accomplish this is to bring up the money issue.  He's insulting her by implying that sex with her is only for babies and she insults him back with the money issue.  The money issue is contentious but much less unpleasant (does that even make sense?) than actually bringing the issue of Ennis's sexuality up in that specific case.  So, I just think the money is a cover for the real argument.

As much as I feel sorry for Alma she also irritates me with her "doormat" demeanor through much of the film.  The fact that she puts up with a marriage like that for so long is very sad to me (but a kind of sad that makes me very frustrated at her)... Moreover, the fact that she would put up with sexual demands that were completely not her idea and very uncomfortable for her makes me sad too and angry that she doesn't stand up for herself.  And when she does stand up for herself a large portion of homophobia is revealed (in the kitchen argument, obviously).

Grrr. Alma... a very frustrating character for me indeed.
 :-\
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2006, 11:32:45 pm »
I think Alma really did love Ennis and was certianly part of the reason she stayed so long as well has her daughters. She did recognize that Ennis was a good man.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2006, 03:14:20 pm »
I also think the "money problem" issue is a convenient cover for the underlying and more major problem in their marriage.  It's easier to argue over money and they never argue over Ennis's sexuality until long after the divorce.  So, that scene when they're in bed and Alma brings up the topic of bills, this is really a ploy to get Ennis off of her.  The subtext is that she no longer wants to have sex with him... and the easiest way to accomplish this is to bring up the money issue.  He's insulting her by implying that sex with her is only for babies and she insults him back with the money issue.  The money issue is contentious but much less unpleasant (does that even make sense?) than actually bringing the issue of Ennis's sexuality up in that specific case.  So, I just think the money is a cover for the real argument.
(emphasis by me)

I never looked at this scene this way. The thought that Alma didn't want no more sex with Ennis in genreal, and that her remark was a ploy to get Ennis off of her, never occurred to me.
Hmmm. This may be true for the movie, although my guts say no. I'll think more about it.

But for the story, I don't think your pov is right. The story says clearly, "Alma asked Ennis to use rubbers because she dreaded another pregnancy." The sentence before this one was about her knowing she'd always have to work to keep ahead of the bills.
So I think in the story it was not a ploy, but dreading a pregnancy was the real reason for her comment.

Yet you are right that it is more easy to fret about money issues than about their sex life, respectively Ennis's sexual orientation. Alma thought - not said - what Ennis likes to do doesn't make too many babies.
So in this scene we have both: her first remark was really because she wanted no more babies, but her next thought is about Ennis's sexualitiy. But she doesn't say it out loud, other than the money/pregnancy troubles, because the latter are easier to discuss.

As much as I feel sorry for Alma she also irritates me with her "doormat" demeanor through much of the film.  The fact that she puts up with a marriage like that for so long is very sad to me (but a kind of sad that makes me very frustrated at her)... Moreover, the fact that she would put up with sexual demands that were completely not her idea and very uncomfortable for her makes me sad too and angry that she doesn't stand up for herself.  And when she does stand up for herself a large portion of homophobia is revealed (in the kitchen argument, obviously).

Grrr. Alma... a very frustrating character for me indeed.
 :-\

I agree with all from the above paragraph. It's frustrating. But it is rooted in her (supposed) upbringing and said "training" of how a respectable woman should be and behave. Again, we look with our modern mental attitude on her. Maybe we should be more clement with her - she was just as molded by her time and location as Ennis was.
And in the end, she took the leap and divorced Ennis (even if it was only with Monroe as backup).
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 03:18:07 pm by Penthesilea »

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2006, 09:15:59 pm »

“Me and the girls worry about you being alone so much.” I was a little surprised she phrased it that way, her and the girls. Of course, even if she had said, “The girls worry...” the meaning would still have been “Me and the girls.”

I think Alma still had feelings for Ennis, otherwise she would not be upset anymore about the fishing trips. When I saw this scene  in the trailers I thought that they were still married.

Since they were parents of the same children, she considered her and Ennis to still be family at some level.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Rutella

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2006, 11:51:06 am »
I always feel so sorry for Alma in the scene just before the reunion when she suggests they go out for the meal because she looks so hopeful and kinda excited. She is so happy that Ennis has a friend and it seems to fit into her idea of a happy life; there is potential for them to really join in some kind of social life. And she is so oblivious to the fact that Ennis seems WAY too excited to just be meeting up with a normal pal. And its that hopefulness that makes me hurt at the same time as I am sitting there desperate for Jack to come speeding up and to see the reunion kiss.

That I think is one of the really brilliant things about the film, (more than the short story I think, where Alma is hidden much more), that I can be rooting for our boys but still feeling Alma's pain. And it reminds me of what Diana Ossana said about how on the first reading of the story she saw Ennis' tragedy but on the second she saw the full extent of the tragedies for Jack, Alma and Lureen. 

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2006, 12:12:53 pm »
I always feel so sorry for Alma in the scene just before the reunion when she suggests they go out for the meal because she looks so hopeful and kinda excited. She is so happy that Ennis has a friend and it seems to fit into her idea of a happy life; there is potential for them to really join in some kind of social life. And she is so oblivious to the fact that Ennis seems WAY too excited to just be meeting up with a normal pal.

Really well put, Rutella! Alma is not my favorite character, but that is undoubtedly my favorite moment of her character. That hopeful smile, when she says "It's not too late to get a babysitter, take your friend to the Kife and Fork," is heartbreaking. She wants to be involved in this exciting reunion, and thinks a restaurant meal would make it particularly special. And what's almost saddest is that her smile doesn't fade, even after he rejects the idea!

Offline opinionista

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2006, 01:05:11 pm »
But I do not believe that, at any time of their realtionship, Ennis was everything to her. The one love you desperately long for, the one person in the world you are meant for, the one person you can't live without.

I think it was the whole package she wanted: husband + kids + a nice place to call home + enough money to keep ahead of the bills = a 'normal' family life. And Ennis seemed to be the man who could give this to her. But somehow I have the feeling, she would have taken another man, too - if only he was likeable enough and promised her the said package.

This is supported by the story: how undramatic their marriage came to an end. No real trouble, just widening water, "...what am I doing, hanging around with him, divorced Ennis and married the Riverton grocer".

Doesn't sound like she was a heartbroken woman, destoyed by the realization that her husband didn't love her like he should.

Phew, I rambled a lot here, just let my thoughts flow. Bottom line is: I think Alma loved Ennis, but I do not think she loved him so deeply that he meant the world to her.

I think Alma loved Ennis and very much, she was in love with him.  But there other issues she had to consider when she knew her marriage was over, because once she had children she could not afford to only think about herself and her emotional needs. There are many people who think everyone should give more importance to love and less to money. Sure, that is very romantic and beautiful but is not realistic because no one can live on love only. And when you have children you have to think about feeding them, clothing them, schooling them and giving them the best future you can manage. And that becomes a priority in your life, no matter how much you love your spouse.

IMO, Alma's decision to divorce Ennis has nothing to do with her love for him, not necessarily though. I think she loved him and probably as much as Jack did, but there was no point for her to continue being married to a man who, to Alma's point of view, would not do his best to provide for the family or to be a part of the family. Alma also resented that Ennis didn't go on vacation with them. He didn't go out with them anywhere, and it wasn't fair. Sure she could've divorce him sooner, and stop being a doormat, but I don't think that was an option for a poor woman like her. Alma could not raise a family on her own. She didn't have the skills to get a well paying job, other than working odd hours in the supermarket. Even with Ennis's child support, Alma would have trouble making ends meet. She needed someone who could support her. And when she found him, she divorced Ennis. It may sound callous to a few, but that is a realistic scenario for many poor women with children around the world.

On the other hand, I think it's unfair to say that she wasn't heartbroken. IMO she was, but Proulx didn't describe her pain in a stereotypical fashion. Obviously we all expect a woman to cry a river for her man, to yell at him, to act angry all the time. But not everybody does that. Some people swallow their anger, and go on living letting their resentment grow inside them, until they can't take it anymore and explode like Alma did on the Thanksgiving scene, that is also in the short story.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 05:48:15 am by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2006, 11:26:29 am »
But there other issues she had to consider when she knew her marriage was over, because once she had children she could not afford to only think about herself and her emotional needs. There are many people who think everyone should give more importance to love and less to money. Sure, that is very romantic and beautiful but is not realistic because no one can live on love only. And when you have children you have to think about feeding them, clothing them, schooling them and giving them the best future you can manage. And that becomes a priority in your life, no matter how much you love your spouse.

Agreed to this. It assits my view on her feelings for Ennis. Whether she still loved him or how much she loved him (or not) later in their marriage, she didn't see another possibility for her to live. Until she had Monroe as backup. So her feelings for him may have died away (no wonder, I wouldn't blame her), but she still holds out in that marriage until she finds something better.

But I was more focussing on her feelings at the beginning of their relationship, before they married and in the early years (before she saw them). Maybe I wasn't very clear. I think she loved him - but I think she also would have loved any other man who was
- willing to give her the family package, the normal life she wanted
- and wasn't outright a mean guy.

Due to her time and upbringing, she had low expectations and was willing to endure much. I don't blame her for this in any case.
She sure loved him, but I just think he was never all the world to her (at no point of their relationship).

I always feel so sorry for Alma in the scene just before the reunion when she suggests they go out for the meal because she looks so hopeful and kinda excited. She is so happy that Ennis has a friend and it seems to fit into her idea of a happy life; there is potential for them to really join in some kind of social life. And she is so oblivious to the fact that Ennis seems WAY too excited to just be meeting up with a normal pal. And its that hopefulness that makes me hurt at the same time as I am sitting there desperate for Jack to come speeding up and to see the reunion kiss.

That I think is one of the really brilliant things about the film, (more than the short story I think, where Alma is hidden much more), that I can be rooting for our boys but still feeling Alma's pain. And it reminds me of what Diana Ossana said about how on the first reading of the story she saw Ennis' tragedy but on the second she saw the full extent of the tragedies for Jack, Alma and Lureen. 

That's one of the two scenes when I feel most sorry for Alma, too: before Jack shows up. That hopeful expression. The other one is when Ennis is heading out for their first trip. When she stands there with Junior in her arms and Ennis is saying "Come here", giving her a little kiss and briefly tousling her hair. She knows what will happen, how eager Ennis is to get out with Jack, but he is still sweet to her - that hurts.
I think this brief affection shows perfectly the tragedy for Ennis and Alma.

And what is also heartbreaking is the little waving she does, standing at the window, a few moments later.

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2006, 02:21:15 pm »
Bottom line for me, I agree with OP.
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline HerrKaiser

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2006, 09:02:33 pm »
Alma was the one person in the film I felt was least honest about her feelings to anyone, including herself. Even Ennis, who had immeasureble trouble being outward about his feelings, was able to find a work-around to attend to his separate life.

One one level, Alma must have felt Ennis was her whole life; her man, her world. the scene in the grocery when Ennis brings in the two kids tends to underscore this. On the other hand, she never ever did a single thing (other than divorce that I bet Ennis had no clue why) to try to win Ennis' attention back.

Alma, even 16 years after she witnessed Ennis and jack together in the stairwell and years of fishing trips, said "the girls and i think you should get married". And after she made a somewhat elaborate "gotcha" claim about the fishing tackle box and never coming home with fish, she failed to state affirmatively that she SAW the men together. Ennis never knows what Alma knows.

I think Alma's feelings for Ennis center on what she had hoped he'd be and what she dreamed she'd have. In the end, she allowed her anger and sense of rejection to build to a level of detest for both Ennis and Jack. 

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2007, 02:15:47 pm »
Bumping some interesting old threads that have drifted a bit down the page list.

:-*

Offline HerrKaiser

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2007, 12:34:51 pm »
Even after 15 months of viewing, Alma remains to me the most pathetic figure and the person who held all the cards and did nothing with them. She could have helped Ennis' life; she did not. She could have been honest with Alma Jr; she was not. She could have made it on her own with Ennis' child suppor; she chose to hook up with Monroe which was clearly a match of convenience. Alma lived a life of bitterness and regret rather than facing the issues head on and creating positives rather than negatives.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2007, 10:02:20 pm »
Even after 15 months of viewing, Alma remains to me the most pathetic figure and the person who held all the cards and did nothing with them. She could have helped Ennis' life; she did not. She could have been honest with Alma Jr; she was not. She could have made it on her own with Ennis' child suppor; she chose to hook up with Monroe which was clearly a match of convenience. Alma lived a life of bitterness and regret rather than facing the issues head on and creating positives rather than negatives.

I agree with you.  I find Alma enormously frustrating for all the reasons you list.  I feel like around the time of the divorce there was a glimmer of hope for her.  She stood up for herself finally in bed with Ennis just prior to the divorce (which was long over due as far as I'm concerned) and probably given her time/ society/ circumstances filing for divorce was a pretty bold and independent move for her.  As much as I love Ennis, Alma was not in any kind of good situation (for her own sake) by staying with him.  But, I totally agree that she doesn't seem to have done much with her new-found opportunity/ freedom following the divorce.   He "Jack Nasty" rant seals the deal for me in totally disliking her character.