Author Topic: "Somewhere in Time" 1980 film with parallels to BBM?  (Read 125507 times)

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Bork bork bork
Re: "Somewhere in Time" 1980 film with parallels to BBM?
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 04:43:26 am »
Talking about similarities, I even noticed some hay and a stable in one of the videos!!   ;D

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 05:07:56 am »
I second what Sonja said. Judging from the storyline and trailer, it doesn't sound like a film I'd be interested in.

But what you tell about the fans and their activities, gives a whole other dimension to it. There must be something more to the film, at least for those hit by it. Sounds very familiar...

Without my own BBM experience, I would probably just have thought them lunatics ::) -- but, seriously, who am I to talk??  ;D

Yes. Who are we to talk?
Might be interesting to check out their forum. See what they're talking about, get the gist why they find this movie so fascinating.
LOL, like one alien species checking out another one ;) :laugh:.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 05:53:22 am »
I found an official website, but no discussion forum. Maybe you have to be a member to access it. They charge 25 bucks a year to become a member :o.
I also went to good old IMDB's discussion site for the movie, but didn't find anything overly interesting.

But somehow I'm intrigued. Maybe I'll watch the movie.

*************possible spoiler***********************

The German title is "Ein tödlicher Traum" = A Deadly Dream
Judging from the title and the last scene, it looks like there's no happy end for the lovers. Another parallel to BBM.

pnwDUDE

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 11:00:06 am »
I saw 'Somewhere in Time' (with my ex wife cause' she insisted) while in college. While not usually a fan of typical love stories, I was mesmerized. Now that it was brought up as a possible parallel to BBM, I agree 100%. I remember leaving the theater stunned, profoundly sad, heartbroken for the couple and I couldn't stop thinking about them for days!
I wouldn't try to watch it in 10 minute intervals on You Tube. I would try to find it on Netflix. I believe those affected by BBM will have a similar experience with this movie.

Brad

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2010, 11:14:27 am »
I saw this film when it first came out, when I was only 14 and VERY impressionable when it came to love, and what it was capable of making you do to get and keep it.  Have watched it dozens of times since then (have it on VHS).  It's a beautiful, romantic, and very pretty film -- from the gorgeous setting, to the Victorian costumes, to the old-world manners of the day.

One can only wonder "what if", when watching Chris Reeve in films like this when he was at the height of his powerful physicality and gorgeous looks and that killer smile.  Similar to watching Patrick Swayze in "Dirty Dancing".  To see what they were in their youth and naivete that things would always stay that way for them.  But then reality rears its ugly head, and they're gone, just like that.  Sad...

I'll check out SIT again, and try to come up with some more BBM parallels to add.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2010, 12:15:41 pm »
I saw 'Somewhere in Time' (with my ex wife cause' she insisted) while in college. While not usually a fan of typical love stories, I was mesmerized. Now that it was brought up as a possible parallel to BBM, I agree 100%. I remember leaving the theater stunned, profoundly sad, heartbroken for the couple and I couldn't stop thinking about them for days!
I wouldn't try to watch it in 10 minute intervals on You Tube. I would try to find it on Netflix. I believe those affected by BBM will have a similar experience with this movie.

Brad

Thank you, Brad.  I think this is the point:  some viewers were profoundly affected by SIT, and felt the need to 'do something' further. 

Yes. Who are we to talk?
Might be interesting to check out their forum. See what they're talking about, get the gist why they find this movie so fascinating.
LOL, like one alien species checking out another one ;) :laugh:.

Good one, Chrissi!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2010, 12:22:45 pm »
I found an official website, but no discussion forum. Maybe you have to be a member to access it. They charge 25 bucks a year to become a member :o.
I also went to good old IMDB's discussion site for the movie, but didn't find anything overly interesting.

But somehow I'm intrigued. Maybe I'll watch the movie.

From what I gather, the fan "club" wasn't organized until 1990, ten years after the film was released.  Obviously pre-internet.  So, it seems they developed a series of quarterly newsletters, sent out via snail mail.  That's what the membership fee pays for still.  The website is not a forum, but rather a central information site.  Oh, and they sell stuff. 

Looks like the highlight is their SIT weekend, in October, held at the Grand Hotel where the film was shot.  Sounds like fun!  Imagine a lovely fall weekend on Mackinac (pronounced "mackin-awe") Island, meeting your fan-friends annually, dressing up in Edwardian style.  Plus, almost all the film sites are within walking distance from each other.  A far cry from Alberta!

*************possible spoiler***********************

The German title is "Ein tödlicher Traum" = A Deadly Dream
Judging from the title and the last scene, it looks like there's no happy end for the lovers. Another parallel to BBM.

Hmm, I guess you'll have to watch it to find out....

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2010, 12:43:09 pm »

Brad

Thank you Brad.
I can't access Netflix, and it's not available in Germany. Thank god there's Amazon. The British import DVD is pretty cheap.
I really don't like watching stuff in 10 minute snippets in youtube. Only do it when there's no alternative.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2010, 12:46:07 pm »
A far cry from Alberta!

:laugh:
Maybe we'll think of this next year!

Hmm, I guess you'll have to watch it to find out....

Well, I guess that settles it. ;D It will be in my next Amazon order.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2010, 12:51:31 pm »
Thanks for an intriguing thread, Paul.  I've heard this film compared to BBM before and I remember seeing a bit of it on TV awhile ago.  Maybe I'll give it another try.

The Star Trek fandom also spawned many newsletters before the internet came along, probably mostly as an outlet for fan fiction.  There must be a goodly amount of "Somewhere in Time" fanfic, too.
Ich bin ein Brokie...