Author Topic: Shades of Grey by Midwest-girl  (Read 610768 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Re: "Shades of Grey" Discussion Thread **Spoilers**
« Reply #1130 on: January 20, 2007, 10:05:09 pm »
Here's another favourite quote:

"Ennis tried to hold back, to go slow, to stay in control, but the feel of Jack, the sound of his voice, husky and slurred, the smell of his skin, combined to rush Ennis over the edge - falling from the precipice he'd been balancing on since the moment he'd met Jack Twist."

Are you sure you're not a gay man, Amy LOL? It would appear that you have an insight into the gay male psyche!

There's so much here that's goooood! I could literally smell Jack as I read this! And I liked what I was smelling! No nasty ol' pussy eau de cologne for our Jack! Oh-no, he smelt like a maaaan! Ain't nothin' quite like that smell! 

And the reference to Jack's voice being "husky and slurred" - this is something else that personally "presses my buttons" every time. When a man is on "the edge" and he's breathing hot and fast in your ear, leaning in low, his voice "husky and slurred"! You have captured this moment in time exquisitely.

I made a valiant attempt to avoid using this expression up until now but, hey, I'm compelled to say it - WOW!
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

midwest-girl

« Reply #1131 on: January 20, 2007, 10:14:02 pm »
Hey, guys!  I'm so glad you like Shades, Kerry.  I was hesitant to pop in here because I want you guys to feel free to critique the story and not worry about hurting my feelings or anything.  But I just wanted to say "hi" and tell you how much I appreciate your thoughts and feedback!  Amy

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #1132 on: January 20, 2007, 10:17:12 pm »
Here's another favourite quote:

"Ennis tried to hold back, to go slow, to stay in control, but the feel of Jack, the sound of his voice, husky and slurred, the smell of his skin, combined to rush Ennis over the edge - falling from the precipice he'd been balancing on since the moment he'd met Jack Twist."

Are you sure you're not a gay man, Amy LOL? It would appear that you have an insight into the gay male psyche!

There's so much here that's goooood! I could literally smell Jack as I read this! And I liked what I was smelling! No nasty ol' pussy eau de cologne for our Jack! Oh-no, he smelt like a maaaan! Ain't nothin' quite like that smell! 

And the reference to Jack's voice being "husky and slurred" - this is something else that personally "presses my buttons" every time. When a man is on "the edge" and he's breathing hot and fast in your ear, leaning in low, his voice "husky and slurred"! You have captured this moment in time exquisitely.

I made a valiant attempt to avoid using this expression up until now but, hey, I'm compelled to say it - WOW!

Oh, I know it Kerry! I assure you Amy is not a gay man, but I was wondering the same thing when I first read "Shades of Grey". She really describes the life of a gay man perfectly. Not only that, but also what we think, and the emotional turmoil we go through. She also nailed the sex perfectly. It's amazing. I think every gay man should read this story.

The story is nothing short of pure brilliance and pure talent.  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #1133 on: January 20, 2007, 10:18:27 pm »
Hey, guys!  I'm so glad you like Shades, Kerry.  I was hesitant to pop in here because I want you guys to feel free to critique the story and not worry about hurting my feelings or anything.  But I just wanted to say "hi" and tell you how much I appreciate your thoughts and feedback!  Amy

Feel free to stop in here anytime you want, Amy! We would love to hear from you!  :)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #1134 on: January 20, 2007, 10:23:45 pm »
Feel free to stop in here anytime you want, Amy! We would love to hear from you!  :)

Amy - I was just about to send you the same message as David. Please visit often. Great to meet 'ya!  ;D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #1135 on: January 20, 2007, 10:31:46 pm »
Well, there are some SOG-Ennis pictures posted on the original thread! In suit and all if I remember correctly.... ;D

Were they some of the pictures Leslie posted over there? I'll have to go and have a look. I can't find ANY pictures of Heath in a suit. Thanks for telling us about this, Melissa!  :)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #1136 on: January 21, 2007, 01:00:32 am »
More favourite bits:

"Come her," Jack commanded, the sex in his voice making Ennis's spinal cord vibrate like a plucked wire.

and

Ennis couldn't answer, his vocal chords frozen, his neck muscled tight with anticipation, his whole body threatening to fly apart from the lust expanding in his chest.

and my very favourite

". . . for a moment Ennis forgot how to breathe."

Gasp!  :o

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #1137 on: January 21, 2007, 01:36:19 am »
Great idea to spread the love by starting this SoG here. Some people are so averse to fanfic but there are some amazing writers and stories out in the big world and Shades of Grey is certainly one of them. I am a fic fan but avoided this one cuz the premise of Jack as drug dealer was more than I could manage. On the recommendation of Lil Mandy I decided to give it a whirl and oh my oh my. I finished it about 2 weeks ago and will start re-reading it tonight. Now I can gush about it in two forums!

O0

Heathen

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #1138 on: January 21, 2007, 01:54:58 am »
Some SofG Ennis:

Heathen

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #1139 on: January 21, 2007, 02:11:57 am »
Great idea to spread the love by starting this SoG here. Some people are so averse to fanfic but there are some amazing writers and stories out in the big world and Shades of Grey is certainly one of them. I am a fic fan but avoided this one cuz the premise of Jack as drug dealer was more than I could manage. On the recommendation of Lil Mandy I decided to give it a whirl and oh my oh my. I finished it about 2 weeks ago and will start re-reading it tonight. Now I can gush about it in two forums!

O0

Welcome Ruby! We'd love it if you would join us!  :)