Author Topic: PBS "Sherlock Holmes" Updated for the 21st century  (Read 256929 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: PBS "Sherlock Holmes" Updated for the 21st century
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 10:51:49 am »

Martin Freeman has been cast in the title role of the upcoming "Hobbit" movies, so he'll have some serious juggling to do to be in the Sherlock episodes, too.

Such a Hobbit face!  ;D

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2010, 12:13:34 pm »

Such a Hobbit face!  ;D

Isn't it?  He'll be a perfect Bilbo!  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: PBS "Sherlock Holmes" Updated for the 21st century: SPOILER
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2010, 12:41:27 pm »
Holmes looks up from his microscope for about 2 milliseconds and says, "gay" and then realizes that he's alarmed the young woman so he says "hey" instead. But she calls him on it as soon as the young man leaves, whereupon he proves the man's orientation by saying, among other things, that he dyes his eyebrows. Pretty far fetched, and as it turns out, he was being led on!

On thinking about it...was he being led on - completely?  I daresay, Moriarty's growing obsession with Holmes probably has more nuances than just a challenge of the intellect.

And upon rewatching, I do like how when Sherlock feels himself lacking - and not in a good way - from normal people he turns to Watson.  And I like how Watson has made himself the practical manager of Sherlock's occupation.  Sherlock is above all financial incentive.  Watson makes sure he is not.  :)

« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 01:01:54 am by delalluvia »

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2010, 02:55:01 pm »
I checked my PBS website and it doesn't look like "Sherlock" is being repeated.  All I caught was the last half of the third episode.  I'd rather not have to buy the DVD.  Hope it turns up again on the schedule.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2010, 03:29:32 pm »
I checked my PBS website and it doesn't look like "Sherlock" is being repeated.  All I caught was the last half of the third episode.  I'd rather not have to buy the DVD.  Hope it turns up again on the schedule.

Do they not have the episodes on the website to watch?  They do on mine.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2010, 03:45:42 pm »
Do they not have the episodes on the website to watch?  They do on mine.

It took some searching, but I found them.  Thanks!  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline delalluvia

Re: PBS "Sherlock Holmes" Updated for the 21st century - SPOILER
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2010, 03:40:18 pm »
Hmmmm...is Sherlock ambiguous after all?  :o

On a rewatch I finally caught the meaning of line that didn't really register before.

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

In the very awkward cafe scene in Ep 1, Watson is trying to find out if Sherlock has a girlfriend or boyfriend.  Sherlock finally decides that Watson is trying to pick him up.  He turns him down and then clearly says he's turning him down because he's not looking for anything  - not because he's not into men.  :o :o

I'm sold on which way Sherlock would go if he ever decided to get with the rest of the human race.  ;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2010, 07:10:38 pm »
There's also the way he treats Watson's gf Sarah. He clearly thinks of her as superfluous. Until she pointed out a key clue that he had overlooked. After he regained his composure, he looked at her with new respect. Will Sarah be the Hermione of this story? I'd like to be an ingredient in that sandwich! (and not just the man-naise!)

Benedict Cumberbatch is so good at telegraphing when Sherlock realizes he is flawed...i.e. "I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath" LOL!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline delalluvia

Re: PBS "Sherlock Holmes" Updated for the 21st century - SPOILER
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2010, 07:22:30 pm »
There's also the way he treats Watson's gf Sarah. He clearly thinks of her as superfluous. Until she pointed out a key clue that he had overlooked. After he regained his composure, he looked at her with new respect. Will Sarah be the Hermione of this story? I'd like to be an ingredient in that sandwich! (and not just the man-naise!)

Benedict Cumberbatch is so good at telegraphing when Sherlock realizes he is flawed...i.e. "I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath" LOL!

Man-naise!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Benedict is extremely good at it, I agree.  His Sherlock is very expressive.  When Watson first tells Sherlock he's seen his website, Sherlock gets all puffed up, full of pride, waiting for John's reaction.  And when Watson's reply is simply a skeptical look, his face just falls.

Or when Lestrade invades his apartment on a drugs bust (is that a UK expression?  "Drugs bust", plural?  Here in the US it's singular "drug bust") and Watson is scoffing that the police would ever find anything, the look on Sherlock's face is priceless - he's being unmasked and humiliated in front of Watson and he's dreading it.

And of course, the phases his face goes through when he's dismissive of a woman's feelings for a long-lost child then realizes from everyone's reaction that he goofed and goofed badly and looks to Watson.

"Not good?"

« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 12:41:31 am by delalluvia »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2010, 12:21:44 pm »
So does this Sherlock for the new century still have a brother Mycroft?  ;D

Not sure if this has been shown around here. It wouldn't really interest me anyway. One of the attractions for me in the real Sherlock Holmes stories, and in the Jeremy Brett series, is the late Victorian setting. Holmes has been updated before--I'm sure I read somewhere that most of the Basil Rathbone-Nigel Bruce movies were set in the then present--but that just doesn't interest me.

So they gave Watson a girlfriend named Sarah? Humpf. Mary was good enough for Conan Doyle. ...

Benedict Cumberbatch: What a wonderful name! Perfectly balanced, three syllables each--and certainly memorable!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.