Author Topic: PBS "Sherlock Holmes" Updated for the 21st century  (Read 256882 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: PBS "Sherlock Holmes" Updated for the 21st century
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2010, 03:59:33 pm »
It just boggles me that Benedict looks so amazing as a brunette - love the dark hair, cheekbones you could cut glass with and light light cat eyes - but in reality, he's a sandy blond!

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2010, 04:08:33 pm »
Agreed! As a brunette, he looks very Black Irish.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2011, 06:51:04 pm »
 Now I'm going to rent Amazing Grace so I can see him in that as well.  :)

Big thumbs up on Amazing Grace if you're a Cumberbatch fan.  Not only do I get to watch Ioan Gruffud who I've liked since the "Horatio Hornblower" series, but Benedict has a rather large supporting role as his best friend in this movie.  And it's one of those close male friendships that I so enjoy.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2011, 10:37:46 pm »
Big thumbs up on Amazing Grace if you're a Cumberbatch fan.  Not only do I get to watch Ioan Gruffud who I've liked since the "Horatio Hornblower" series, but Benedict has a rather large supporting role as his best friend in this movie.  And it's one of those close male friendships that I so enjoy.

Oh, that's where I've heard the name before, in connection with Amazing Grace.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2011, 07:59:32 pm »
OK, I'm in the middle of a long Cumberbatch film marathon...he is an excellent actor.  It's fun to see the "Sherlockisms" in his other movies  ;D

But now, in a complete reversal, I've gotten so used to seeing him as a sandy/dark blond that it seems strange when I see pictures of him as a brunette!

and because I imagine homoerotica everywhere - pic of Ioan Gruffudd and Benedict at the Amazing Grace premiere.   :-* :-* ;D

« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 02:17:52 pm by delalluvia »

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2011, 11:23:31 pm »
Excellent observations, my dear Watson!

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2011, 02:37:34 pm »
The very beginning of the series starts on the killing fields of Afghanistan when Dr. Watson sustains a wound...or so it seems. Cut to his recovery in London and the early days where he lives in a small room, starts a blog, and visits his therapist. She asks about the progress on the blog and he says dismissively, "fine, fine, it's going quite well." "You haven't written a word, have you, John?" she answers. She explains how writing about all that happens to him will help him recover and help him not think so much about his injured leg and intermittent tremor in his hand (which she has diagnosed as psychosomatic). John answers, "Nothing ever happens to me." Quick cut to the credits and night scenes of London, the haunt of Sherlock Holmes.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2011, 03:05:23 pm »
I was watching the DVD of "A Study in Pink" last night with the commentary on, and the producers remarked how totally unlike their characters the two actors are.  They mentioned how Benedict is more 'bumbling' than his TV character, sweet and nicest guy you'd want to meet, yet - like Sherlock though in a nicer way  - gently asserts himself in a room as the alpha male.  ;D

I wish I could find this article I read a few days ago.  Benedict talked about his life in detail, things he'd done, places he'd been, life-risking things that he wanted to experience (he mentioned skydiving and had a video made of him doing it and said he enjoyed watching his 'double chins flapping') and he actually went to Tibet to teach English for a couple of years.

*sigh*

Whenever I hear about someone's life reading like an adventure novel, I think to my own life and Hugh Grant's words from Four Weddings and a Funeral come to mind

"What have I been doing with my time?  Working...a lot..."  :laugh:

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2011, 04:33:13 pm »
Me too, friend!

BTW, didn't Watson own one of those Glocks, too?

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2011, 05:03:17 pm »
Me too, friend!

BTW, didn't Watson own one of those Glocks, too?

Naw, according to the series it's a Browning L9A1 but I think it looks like a Sig Sauer