Author Topic: PBS "Sherlock Holmes" Updated for the 21st century  (Read 256880 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: PBS "Sherlock Holmes" Updated for the 21st century
« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2011, 01:21:51 pm »
I love Sherlock's terse questions: "Problem?" "You have questions?" "Not good?" He uses Watson as his barometer. As he himself realizes, "I'd be lost without my blogger."  :)
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2011, 02:42:18 pm »
"I'd be lost without my blogger."  :)

Hmm. I do believe there is a line somewhere in the "canon" where Holmes says to Watson, "I'd be lost without my Boswell," or something very close to that.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #82 on: March 08, 2011, 03:27:51 pm »
My sister and I compare the movie version (Downey/Law) characters with the TV version (Cumberbach/Freeman) and how the movie couple dynamic is extremely 'bromance' and Law's Watson is not averse to punching Downey's Holmes in the face when he gets fed up with his obnoxiousness, while in the TV version, Cumberbach's Sherlock is passive aggressive and when Freeman's John is winding up to be angry, Sherlock either modifies his behavior or he says something that takes the wind out of John's anger

"There's a head in the refrigerator."
"Just tea for me."
"A bloody  head!"
Where else was I supposed to put it?  You don't mind, do you?"

"Why didn't I think of that?"
"Because you're an idiot.  No no no.  Don't be like that, most everyone is."

;D :laugh:

Hmm. I do believe there is a line somewhere in the "canon" where Holmes says to Watson, "I'd be lost without my Boswell," or something very close to that.

It is.  It's one of the many little tidbits the producers - who are extremely familiar with the Sherlock stories - put in the shows, either quoting directly or 'updating' it.  People familar with the stories have been picking them out.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 08:09:09 pm by delalluvia »

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #83 on: March 23, 2011, 11:09:17 pm »
YES!!!!

March 23 and 24th!!  I'm so excited. Thanks for making me go look.  Now I'll have to watch the site like a hawk to see the soonest I can buy tickets!!!

I went to the March 23rd viewing at my local art house theater.  They're filming National Theater productions and the result is very good.  I wasn't sure which performance I'd get - Benedict Cumberbatch and Jonny Miller are trading off roles (one playing Victor, the other the Monster and then the next performance, they switch), and I was hoping for Cumberbatch as Victor, because I always have a soft spot in my heart for men slowly going mad, plus he'd look amazing in Victorian clothes,  :-*  - but alas, the production was with him as the Monster.  Turned out to be better, because Victor's part was much much smaller than the Monster's and the Monster was a kinetic energetic part, full of physicality and emotion and the growth of someone from innocent to someone capable of terrible acts because of the desire to love and be loved, basically.

Danny Boyle's production was slick and eyecatching but it jumped a bit.  You weren't sure at times how the Monster got from one situation to the other and some scenes weren't explained very well.  And strangely there was what I consider a musical scene and later a dance interlude.

But the pacing was     S         L         O            W

The opening scene - while it gave the audience a very good look at Cumberbatch wearing nothing but a little bit of near see-through gauze around his dainties and he is extremely nice to look at - the scene of the 'birth' of the Monster went on waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long.  There was no dialog, no other characters,  just the Monster on a near empty stage learning how to get up and walk.

I haven't read Shelley, so I'm not sure how close to the original story the theatrical production stuck.  There was a little bit of humor as all tragedies have, humor usually used as a tension reliever, but the humor in this production was IMO awkward and out of place in some places.

Acting was superb, all the way around, and before the end, you're feeling a lot of compassion for the Monster.

I enjoyed it and considered it worth the money and surprisingly, it was shown on a weeknight, in one of the larger auditoriums and it was nearly a full house.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2011, 09:45:52 pm »
Thanks for the report, del.  I'm glad that audiences who can't get to London are able to see these plays.  It must have played somewhere in NYC but I haven't seen any promos (not that I've been looking--way too busy right now to do fun things).  I agree that long pantomime sections don't go over too well with audiences, especially nowadays.  LOL at his "dainties."  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2011, 07:54:06 pm »
I feel cheated.  >:(  ;)

Someone just posted a pic on a blog site of Benedict Cumberbatch portraying the monster in the Frankenstein stage production and he looks in the pic, stark naked (it's a rear shot).  Now it's not beyond actors on stage to be naked in theatrical productions, esp in the UK, so now I'm wondering if the opening scene is really played in the nude, but for the filmed version I saw, they covered him up.

I wuz robbed!  >:( :laugh:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2011, 09:57:41 pm »
I love Sherlock's terse questions: "Problem?" "You have questions?" "Not good?" He uses Watson as his barometer. As he himself realizes, "I'd be lost without my blogger."  :)

It is.  It's one of the many little tidbits the producers - who are extremely familiar with the Sherlock stories - put in the shows, either quoting directly or 'updating' it.  People familar with the stories have been picking them out.

I wonder how many people watching this new version even know who "Boswell" was?  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2011, 02:47:43 pm »
Yeehaw!  8)

Benedict Cumberbatch joins Hobbit cast

British actor Benedict Cumberbatch is set to reteam with his Sherlock co-star Martin Freeman after landing a role in upcoming Lord of the Rings prequel The Hobbit.

Freeman, who will star as Bilbo Baggins in the two-part fantasy film, accidentally revealed the casting news backstage at the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) TV Awards on Sunday.

Early reports suggest Cumberbatch will voice the dragon character Smaug but the actor refused to specify his role, insisting, "I can't say at the moment, thank you very much."

A red-faced Freeman later told reporters, "I knew I was a sort of a big mouth but I didn't realise to what extent I was a big mouth, and I've just ruined everything. I might not actually go back to a job - they might have just sacked (fired) me."

Cumberbatch plays Sherlock Holmes opposite Freeman as Dr Watson in a TV adaptation of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's legendary sleuth stories. The duo picked up the Best Drama Series prize for the show at the BAFTA TV Awards.

http://www.3news.co.nz/Benedict-Cumberbatch-joins-Hobbit-cast---report/tabid/418/articleID/212381/Default.aspx
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2011, 05:58:21 pm »
Excellent indeed! I hope it will be a part where we will see as well as hear him. Am I asking for the moon?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #89 on: May 25, 2011, 07:00:02 pm »
Yay!!!  [Happy Dance]

He has a marvelous voice, so Benedict would be perfect.  But he has the height and look of an elf as well.  I'd prefer to see him, but hearing is good too!

Yay!!!