Author Topic: PBS "Sherlock Holmes" Updated for the 21st century  (Read 256812 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: PBS "Sherlock Holmes" Updated for the 21st century
« Reply #130 on: May 02, 2012, 06:34:21 pm »
         This has quickly become one of my favorite shows.   I love Mr Cumberbatch as well.  He seems to be playing the
character with a renewed verve.  I know its greatly different because of the time frame.  That however is not the reason
that I have noticed such a difference from the always accepted way that he has been interpreted.  

The other interpretations has always had him being very strident and unbendinly secure in everything he thinks.  He
always seems to have a decision made.  Then trying to find evidence to prove himself right.
This character seems to be thinking on his feet, and often willing to change his mind if the information warrants it.

I too was under the impression that the two main characters were lovers.  I got several hints, and they make off
hand remarks tht lead in that direction.  Its not overt, but there. Now they seem to be saying he is going to fall for a
woman
.  Maybe he is bi sexual.. ?//

May be wrong, I too am willing to accept new information.. It is just my interpretation of it.

I haven't been on any Sherlock boards since last fall since I didn't want to be spoiled for the new season, but many of us were afraid they'd go the Sherlock-falls-for-Irene route since they were doing that episode.  I sincerely hope not.  The producers had been trying to stick close to the original stories as much as possible, and the episode with Irene Adler has NOTHING to do with a romance, unrequited, from a distance or otherwise.  I hope they didn't sell out for the sake of trying to reassure a larger audience of Sherlock's heterosexuality.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #131 on: May 02, 2012, 06:51:48 pm »
Many of us were afraid they'd go the Sherlock-falls-for-Irene route since they were doing that episode.  I sincerely hope not.  The producers had been trying to stick close to the original stories as much as possible, and the episode with Irene Adler has NOTHING to do with a romance, unrequited, from a distance or otherwise.  I hope they didn't sell out for the sake of trying to reassure a larger audience of Sherlock's heterosexuality.

"To Sherlock Holmes, she is always the woman. I have seldom heard him mention her under any other name. ... It was not that he felt any emotion akin to love for Irene Adler. All emotions, and that one particularly, were abhorrent to his cold, precise but admirably balanced mind. ... He never spoke of the softer passions, save with a gibe and a sneer. ... And yet there was but one woman to him, and that woman was the late Irene Adler, of dubious and questionable memory."

;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #132 on: May 02, 2012, 07:31:49 pm »
"To Sherlock Holmes, she is always the woman. I have seldom heard him mention her under any other name. ... It was not that he felt any emotion akin to love for Irene Adler. All emotions, and that one particularly, were abhorrent to his cold, precise but admirably balanced mind. ... He never spoke of the softer passions, save with a gibe and a sneer. ... And yet there was but one woman to him, and that woman was the late Irene Adler, of dubious and questionable memory."

;D

I hope they stick to it.  :-\

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #133 on: May 02, 2012, 09:48:56 pm »

I hope so as well.
      I love this show for being what I consider more true to the real characters because they show what
is pretty overt conversation that allows one to think in terms of homosexuality.  I was wondering if they were
possibly going to change that line in order to appeal to the larger demographic in the USA.

Please excuse any typos.  My computer is acting like a spoiled child now.  Having trouble keeping it in a straight line.  It is
jumping around and skipping some letters...ggggggggguuuh

Beautiful mind

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #134 on: May 04, 2012, 09:18:50 am »
So, according to what I just read in this morning's Metro, they're making Irene Adler into ... a dominatrix?

:o
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #135 on: May 04, 2012, 09:19:44 am »
oh FFS...
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #136 on: May 04, 2012, 10:46:23 am »
So, according to what I just read in this morning's Metro, they're making Irene Adler into ... a dominatrix?

:o

oh FFS...

Well, I guess that could create a real scandal in Bohemia. ...  :laugh:

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #137 on: May 04, 2012, 12:24:08 pm »

This is such a good show.  I hope they don't screw it up..

Beautiful mind

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #138 on: May 06, 2012, 10:42:01 pm »
They screwed it up.

HATED HATED HATED HATED HATED  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

the Irene Adler episode

It had some good parts in it - devastating scenes - but her character is awful and Sherlock's reaction to her is just ridiculous.

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Last season ended on a cliffhanger and promised intensity, violence and emotion and instead, it fizzled out immediately.  COMPLETELY anti-climatic.  I sat there and thought - I waited 18 months for THIS? >:(  That should have tipped me off.

Sherlock's character's emotions were all over the chart in this episode.  He ran hot and cold throughout.  Emotional things that he completely dismissed in last seasons's episodes he stumbled over in this one.  For a second, with a good scene with his brother, I thought he screwed his head back on straight, but no.  He cared, he didn't care, he cared, he didn't care, sometimes all within a few seconds.

And really?  Just because Adler took off her clothes was enough to derail him?  He has figured out things from earrings and lipstick and perfume on women before but he draws a blank on her simply because she's naked?

I HATED that.  How idiotic and stereotypical.

The writing treated Sherlock like a horny teenaged boy who falls apart completely in the presence of a naked woman who's coming on to him.

The oldest trick in the book and we're expected to believe Sherlock was completely blindsided by this?  Really?  I mean, really?

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

So ghastly unhappy with this episode's portrayal of Sherlock.  The great Sherlock, able to see through anyone and anything, except if you're a woman all you have to do is take your clothes off and flirt with him and his great brain screeches to a halt like a pubescent boy and he can't think straight.  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)  Treat him with contempt, be a selfish, greedy, unrepentant user bitch who is involved with career criminals and terrorists who threaten the lives of innocent people, flirt and talk nasty and he becomes a devoted idiot.

The ending was just stupid.

Mycroft said he was very thorough 'this time'.  Apparently not if you can believe he did DNA testing on a headless corpse and couldn't figure it out.  And Mycroft is supposed to be much smarter than his brother.   And really?   Sherlock could penetrate some anonymous terrorist cell with his looks?  Does he speak Arabic?  No one noticed him?  He could be away for the months and years it takes to infiltrate a group and John never noticed?  Really?  

AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL episode.  Horrible writing.

The only interesting things we find out is that we find out Sherlock is a virgin and John is done with Sarah and has gone through 3 other girlfriends since and Mycroft's assistant has been compromised and oh, yeah, Irene Adler claims to be gay but is in love with Sherlock.  Whatever.  ::)

I feel so let down by this episode.

My hopes for this season and excitement about the next episodes have fallen flat.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #139 on: May 07, 2012, 09:21:27 am »

Well now I feel better.  I fell asleep and didn't wake until it was over.  I was so mad.  I am rather glad now that I didn't see it.

Sounds like they did just what I was afraid the they were going to do, from the previews...  guuuuhhh

Beautiful mind