Author Topic: PBS "Sherlock Holmes" Updated for the 21st century  (Read 256846 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: PBS "Sherlock Holmes" Updated for the 21st century
« Reply #170 on: May 28, 2012, 11:33:56 pm »
Quote from: jhsu123 on Today at 07:22:23 pm
I think Holmes had another body ready to go to look like him. I also think that the lab assistant Molly helped him; remember how he said she was the only one that could? Holmes could have taken a body from the autopsy place with Molly's help and added gorey makeup to looked like himself.  Then Holmes jumped onto the garbage truck and slipped away. But I think there was a clue when Moriarty shook Holme's hand; Moriarty died soon after that to fulfill a pattern. All the assassins died right after they shook Holmes' hand. What do you think?

I wonder if someone else was watching Moriarty and has more power over him.  Why kill off the arch nemesis?  He could also live another day... Did Moriarty have someone else standing in for him?  Why did he have to kill himself?

Because Arthur Conan Doyle did.  Moriarty was only in a few stories.  The producers are hewing to the tradition.  Moriarty was an archnemesis, then he was killed by Sherlock.  Sherlock lived to have many more adventures, Moriarty was pushing up daisies.

Offline jhsu123

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #171 on: May 29, 2012, 12:02:11 am »
Because Arthur Conan Doyle did.  Moriarty was only in a few stories.  The producers are hewing to the tradition.  Moriarty was an archnemesis, then he was killed by Sherlock.  Sherlock lived to have many more adventures, Moriarty was pushing up daisies.

But the actor, Andrew Scott, is so amazing as the new Moriarty!  I like the way he portrayed him, interpreting him in a totally different way; the guy is genius and psycho mad in a very understated way.  I would love to see him back from time to time battling wits with Holmes! Cumberbatch is great!

Offline jhsu123

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #172 on: May 29, 2012, 12:06:03 am »
But the actor, Andrew Scott, is so amazing as the new Moriarty!  I like the way he portrayed him, interpreting him in a totally different way; the guy is genius and psycho mad in a very understated way.  I would love to see him back from time to time battling wits with Holmes! Cumberbatch is great!

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/sherlock/moriarty.html

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #173 on: May 29, 2012, 01:22:31 am »
What?

WHAT?

Tell you what: I watched half an episode of the series a while ago (don't even know which one), and found it boring. So I didn't watch again, even though hubby likes it and told me it's good.

Last night another episode was aired and I joined him for the end tail of it. Guess what? It was the last episode of the season. The exact one y'all are talking about! And I'm totally hooked/baffled/WTFed about the end. :laugh:

First thing this morning was to check this thread, only to find out you aren't any wiser than I am. :laugh:
How the heck are they going to explain their way out of this? I sure hope they'll come up with something good, and that won't be a groaner.
I hope to catch a rerun of the episode today (of any episode really). Might not be so boring after all and I want to give it a second chance.

Offline jhsu123

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #174 on: May 29, 2012, 01:45:56 am »
What?

WHAT?

Tell you what: I watched half an episode of the series a while ago (don't even know which one), and found it boring. So I didn't watch again, even though hubby likes it and told me it's good.

Last night another episode was aired and I joined him for the end tail of it. Guess what? It was the last episode of the season. The exact one y'all are talking about! And I'm totally hooked/baffled/WTFed about the end. :laugh:

First thing this morning was to check this thread, only to find out you aren't any wiser than I am. :laugh:
How the heck are they going to explain their way out of this? I sure hope they'll come up with something good, and that won't be a groaner.
I hope to catch a rerun of the episode today (of any episode really). Might not be so boring after all and I want to give it a second chance.

I'm not sure if you are in the US or the UK, but the May 20th showing was the last episode of the 2nd Season shown in the US, with Moriarty and Holmes on the rooftop.  You may need to buy the DVD on PBS.org.  There are parts of the show that went by so quickly, that it's great fodder to discuss how Holmes faked his death.  I am looking forward to Season 3, which won't be filmed until 2013 since Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman will be busy filming the Hobbit!  In the meantime, if you are looking for more possible theories as to what happened, here's a link: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/sherlock/season2_fall.html

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #175 on: May 29, 2012, 03:17:03 am »
I'm not sure if you are in the US or the UK,

Neither one; I'm in Germany.

but the May 20th showing was the last episode of the 2nd Season shown in the US, with Moriarty and Holmes on the rooftop.  

Yep, that was exactly the one. It was shown here last night.

I am looking forward to Season 3, which won't be filmed until 2013

Again: What? 2013?
 :o
Oh my, I didn't think it'd be that long. :-\
Well, it gives me time to catch up on all episodes shown so far. :)

Offline jhsu123

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #176 on: May 29, 2012, 11:37:02 am »
Neither one; I'm in Germany.

Yep, that was exactly the one. It was shown here last night.

Again: What? 2013?
 :o
Oh my, I didn't think it'd be that long. :-\
Well, it gives me time to catch up on all episodes shown so far. :)

Yes, you'll have time. There were 3 episodes for Season 1 and 3 for Season 2. They are 90 minutes long and are action packed. You'll need to buy the DVD. I recommend going through them a couple of times, especially for the last episode. You'll see "clues" that some of us have picked up for our discussion.  Cheers!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #177 on: July 12, 2012, 11:35:57 pm »
Snippet from Live Journal about Benedict Cumberbatch's doings:

In a recent interview with InStyle magazine, Benedict Cumberbatch said he visited the London Zoo to study the reptiles in preparation for his role as Smaug the dragon.

"It’s an extrapolation of a performance into something other than an actor. But essentially, you’re still doing a scene."

Cumberbatch who also stars in the up-coming Star Trek 2 and plays Sherlock Holmes in Sherlock says that his acting parents helped him learn the importance of professionalism.

In other Cumberbatch news, apparently he’s also landed a small guest spot on the Simpsons. Its been recorded, but no word yet on when it might air, or what the part involved.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #178 on: July 13, 2012, 07:39:52 pm »
Snippet from Live Journal about Benedict Cumberbatch's doings:

In a recent interview with InStyle magazine, Benedict Cumberbatch said he visited the London Zoo to study the reptiles in preparation for his role as Smaug the dragon.

"It’s an extrapolation of a performance into something other than an actor. But essentially, you’re still doing a scene."

Cumberbatch who also stars in the up-coming Star Trek 2 and plays Sherlock Holmes in Sherlock says that his acting parents helped him learn the importance of professionalism.

In other Cumberbatch news, apparently he’s also landed a small guest spot on the Simpsons. Its been recorded, but no word yet on when it might air, or what the part involved.

Yeah, someone on IMDb reported this.  Apparently the Simpsons folks were right next door to where he was filming and he basically barged in and asked in his nice, British accent, alpha male way to have a part.  So they obliged and rewrote a part for him.  Apparently Moffat/Gattis was right.  Benedict looks and acts so self-deprecating, but he does sort of 'take over a room' whenever he's in one.  8)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #179 on: July 17, 2012, 03:11:31 pm »
It will get an Americanized update this fall with Jonathan Miller and Lucy Liu as Sherlock Holmes and Watson in "Elementary".

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrDVSxNycKc[/youtube]
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40