Author Topic: PBS "Sherlock Holmes" Updated for the 21st century  (Read 256905 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: PBS "Sherlock Holmes" Updated for the 21st century
« Reply #200 on: October 26, 2012, 09:02:47 am »
"This is a bit awkward, but I'd say you're a damn good suspect."

Best line in the entire episode last night!  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #201 on: November 03, 2012, 11:40:27 am »
Ol' Randall (David Harbour) had a guest role on this week's episode of Elementary.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #202 on: November 16, 2012, 11:09:07 am »
I missed Elementary again last night! Will have to find out how to play it on my computer.

But I did watch a not-very-good Hound of the Baskervilles in which the two best characters were the mists and the hound.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #203 on: November 16, 2012, 11:52:22 am »
I missed Elementary again last night! Will have to find out how to play it on my computer.

You missed a good'un! I won't spoil it for you, only tease you by mentioning that the name Irene Adler came up. And as we know, for Sherlock Holmes, she was always "the woman."

But I did watch a not-very-good Hound of the Baskervilles in which the two best characters were the mists and the hound.

Which one was that? Who was in it?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #204 on: November 16, 2012, 02:19:55 pm »
It was the 2002 BBC version starring Richard Roxburgh as Holmes and Ian Hart as Watson.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #205 on: November 16, 2012, 02:41:10 pm »
It was the 2002 BBC version starring Richard Roxburgh as Holmes and Ian Hart as Watson.

I don't believe I know that one.  ???

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #206 on: December 13, 2012, 10:13:50 am »
I finally started watching the second season of Sherlock, the ones I missed last spring while I was in Nepal. The first 90 minute show with the grand entrance of Irene Adler blew me away! I loved it when she told Watson that he and Holmes were a couple (reminded me of Hillary at that moment). When Sherlock cracked the codes it was such a physical rush. I have to watch that one again before going on to the second show!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #207 on: December 13, 2012, 07:32:22 pm »
Congratulations to our man Benedict Cumberbatch for his Golden Globe nomination for Sherlock!!!!  ;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #208 on: December 13, 2012, 08:16:52 pm »
SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

The problem I had with this Marina is that Sherlock has deduced things from index fingers, calluses on feet, hair color, veins in the eyes, women's jewelry and makeup before (Molly, the Pink Lady, the art museum guard in Season 1 and Jim from the hospital).  Irene wears heavy makeup and jewelry and obviously has hair, feet and hands, yet he draws a complete blank?

No he didn't draw a blank, della. Remember he deduced the code for the safe...it was 6 numbers. And Irene KNEW he would get it, because she had "given it to him." What was the combination? At the very end of the scene she said it was "her measurements". I would deduce myself, although I didn't get a good look (craftsy camera angles) that it was something like 36 24 34. To get it that precisely he abso fricking lutely did not draw a blank!

I didn't get this at all.  At the end, he knows she fell for him because of the pulse thing.  

Yet earlier, in her meeting with John ("We're not a couple", "Oh, yes you are.") she told John she was gay.

Is she gay or bi or just a liar?  That completely throws doubt on the end.
So, you got a problem with her being bi? If you do, you're in a lot of company. Plus she could have been attracted to him intellectually.

And why would Sherlock rescue her 'intellect', help her out, when she's aiding and abetting terrorist groups who now have free rein to blow up an airplane thanks to her - and Sherlock?

I found that fact just indicative of Sherlock's callousness and extremely disturbing.

What did Lestrade say in the first Season?

"He's a great man.  And one day, if we're lucky, he might even be a good one."

This is certainly Sherlock NOT being a good man.

And Sherlock's own words,

"Don't make people into heroes John, heroes don't exist and if they did, I wouldn't be one of them."

You can say that again.

He's only interested in her for what she can do for him.  The fact many many people will die and have died because of her and his actions for her is not a concern of his.  When that plane blows up, Sherlock has their blood on his hands as much as her and her cohorts.
Um, did you miss the part where Mycroft takes Sherlock out on the tarmac and into the plane and he sees that it's full of people who are already dead?

The ending, when he finally figures it out, is one of the best scenes.  
When he finally cracked the code to Irene's phone, it was like a "Why didn't I see that?" moment...actually gave me a rush! I'll not spoil the ending for anyone!

He is charismatic, but he's also a pain.  She had zero interaction with Sherlock except for a few stupidly stereotyped moments.  And yet she 'falls for him'?  She invited him out many times and not only did he not go, he never responded to her texts.  What in the world did either of them fall for?
"Girls don't fall in love with fun."  :P

...His interactions with Molly, Mrs. Hudson, Lestrade were all classic Sherlock.  His scenes with his brother were intense and extremely well done.  His scenes with John were great.  The Palace scene and fight scene were hysterical.  I burst out laughing in my seat.  John realizes how good it feels to punch Sherlock and then takes the opportunity to purge his months of frustration by throwing down on the man.   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

When you mention caring though...when the CIA were threatening to shoot John and had the gun to his head, Sherlock was all but frantic to save him.  IMO, despite his moping when he thought Irene was dead, I think John's death would have hit him much harder.  
Sherlock's affection with Mrs. Hudson, particularly, was endearing to see. He deduced her blood on her tormentor and disarmed him, punched him out, and called him a moron or an idiot. Also I loved the part where he said, "Mrs. Hudson leave 221B Baker Street? England would fall!!"

Me, too.  But not an radical Muslim one, which is what we're expected to believe he did in order to save Irene.  The US couldn't do it in 10 years with Bin Laden with ethnic and native speaking spies, yet Sherlock can do it in such a quick time that John doesn't even notice he's missing?  ::)  
I thought the end was a fast forward. Also, in the stories, John was unaware of what Sherlock was doing for months at a time, particularly after he got married.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #209 on: December 15, 2012, 06:26:54 pm »

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS
No he didn't draw a blank, della. Remember he deduced the code for the safe...it was 6 numbers. And Irene KNEW he would get it, because she had "given it to him." What was the combination? At the very end of the scene she said it was "her measurements". I would deduce myself, although I didn't get a good look (craftsy camera angles) that it was something like 36 24 34. To get it that precisely he abso fricking lutely did not draw a blank!

So why the problem deducing anything from her physical features like he does everyone else?

So, you got a problem with her being bi? If you do, you're in a lot of company. Plus she could have been attracted to him intellectually.

No problem with her being bi, but if so, she lied about being gay.  She can't be both gay and bi. 

Um, did you miss the part where Mycroft takes Sherlock out on the tarmac and into the plane and he sees that it's full of people who are already dead?

Front, this was Mycroft's solution for the terrorists to blow up a plane.  They were going to stock the plane with dead bodies send it out on remote and let the terrorists think they succeeded.

Thanks to Sherlock, the terrorists now know that their code has been broken.  They will change it.  And the next time they target a plane, the government will have no idea which one it is, and LIVE people will be killed.

And that blood will be all on Sherlock and Irene's hands.