Author Topic: PBS "Sherlock Holmes" Updated for the 21st century  (Read 256893 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: PBS "Sherlock Holmes" Updated for the 21st century
« Reply #210 on: December 18, 2012, 01:04:09 pm »
Moving on, I watched the new version of The Hound of the Baskervilles on Sherlock yesterday. They did a good job updating the old classic. A couple of things puzzled me. For one thing, Sherlock didn't send Watson on ahead like in the original story. I'm glad because the banter between them is one of the best parts.

A chilling twist happened at the end when Sherlock revealed that he had performed an experiment on Watson that had frightened him severely. This convinces me even more strongly that Sherlock has Asperger's. After reading Look Me in the Eye, a man's firsthand account of growing up with Asperger's and the coldblooded way he recounts the practical jokes he pulled, I saw that in the portrayal of Sherlock.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #211 on: December 18, 2012, 08:40:23 pm »
Moving on, I watched the new version of The Hound of the Baskervilles on Sherlock yesterday. They did a good job updating the old classic. A couple of things puzzled me. For one thing, Sherlock didn't send Watson on ahead like in the original story. I'm glad because the banter between them is one of the best parts.

A chilling twist happened at the end when Sherlock revealed that he had performed an experiment on Watson that had frightened him severely. This convinces me even more strongly that Sherlock has Asperger's. After reading Look Me in the Eye, a man's firsthand account of growing up with Asperger's and the coldblooded way he recounts the practical jokes he pulled, I saw that in the portrayal of Sherlock.

Agree.  I definitely thought Sherlock deserved a punch in the face from John about that.  Yes, that was cruel, cold and callous of him.  John is his friend and that's how he expresses his friendship?

Yet he let that go.

And yes, I know, Sherlock talks down to everyone, but he keeps acting like John is no better than Joe Blow off the streets.  I don't know about the UK, but it takes quite a bit of brains to get through medical school here in the US.  And John was a captain in the Army.  Again, they don't give out rank in the army for perfect attendance.  John is nowhere near being an 'average mind' but Sherlock keeps treating him like one.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #212 on: January 08, 2013, 05:55:09 pm »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #213 on: January 09, 2013, 11:44:48 am »
I had an epiphany about Irene Adler last night. . .I think the reason she was portrayed as so smitten with Sherlock is so that the password that Sherlock finally guessed at the end would work. But it skews her portrayal from the story and stereotypes her. However, I can certainly relate! I am smitten with him as well, as was Irene. . .and John!

I laugh every time I remember the scene where the action is heating up and Watson says, "Oh there you go turning your coat collar up and throwing your scarf over your shoulder to look cool." It is remarkably effective!

At the end of the month I'll be going to the annual meeting of Dr. Watson's Neglected Patients, which is affiliated with the Baker Street Irregulars, and I'm thinking about wearing a pea coat and scarf.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #214 on: January 09, 2013, 03:48:56 pm »
Apparently, this week on the other "updated" Sherlock Holmes, we get to learn more about his Irene Adler, and we also learn about a mysterious person called "M."  8)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #215 on: January 27, 2013, 10:44:35 am »
In preparation for going to the Baker Street Irregulars dinner tonight, I watched the BBC Sherlock series ender "The Final Problem". It certainly is a mystery how Sherlock survived the fall this time, but I think Molly has something to do with it. A few interesting things I noticed were, how Watson calls him "Sherl" now, and when the idea of Sherlock as a fake comes up for the first time, John says, "I know you're not a fake because no one could fake being an obnoxious dick all the time."  :laugh:

But then I cried when John stood over his grave and said, "You were the most human human being I've ever known and you were not a fake."  :'(

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #216 on: January 27, 2013, 02:09:28 pm »
In preparation for going to the Baker Street Irregulars dinner tonight, I watched the BBC Sherlock series ender "The Final Problem". It certainly is a mystery how Sherlock survived the fall this time, but I think Molly has something to do with it. A few interesting things I noticed were, how Watson calls him "Sherl" now, and when the idea of Sherlock as a fake comes up for the first time, John says, "I know you're not a fake because no one could fake being an obnoxious dick all the time."  :laugh:

But then I cried when John stood over his grave and said, "You were the most human human being I've ever known and you were not a fake."  :'(

The episode had us all in tears.  Yes, Molly did have something to do with it.  She is known for being able to find corpses for Sherlock, so there's that to consider.  No, I didn't notice John was calling Sherlock "Sher".  That's interesting.

I loved the 3rd episode.

The details I like is how protective John is of Sherlock throughout the episode and how Sherlock has taken - as Molly noticed later - to watching John.  When they're getting ready for Moriarty's trial at 221B, Sherlock finishes dressing first, then (you see in the mirror) that he turns to watch John.  Sherlock is then very passive and lets John take charge of getting him to the courthouse.

Yes, right before the "No one could fake being such a dick for so long", John is commenting how Sherlock would be upset if people thought he was wrong or a fake.

Sherlock responds he is uncaring about other people's ideas about him.  But, then when he thinks John might be doubting him, he becomes very upset.  Other people's opinions don't matter to Sherlock.  What John thinks of him does.  Very much so.

Moffat tells us to sentimentalize Sherlock at our peril, so much of what happens on the roof of St. Barts is probably acting on Sherlock's part.  I expect that's due to all the observers.

John however, is not acting at the graveside.  His soliloquy to his friend is very moving.  That he reaches out to touch the headstone is such a sweet gesture.  And what just ripped me is when John begs him to do him a favor, just for him.  And you know, in reality, that's exactly why Sherlock did what he did.  It was for John.

Is what John said there, though, what he told the psychologist at the beginning what 'he couldn't say'?

People have been theorizing forever on how he survives.  Obviously the truck has something to do with it, as does the fact, Sherlock keeps telling John to stay away from the side of the hospital that is blocked from John's view by another building.

People are also theorizing how John is going to take the loss.  Will he move on with his life, grateful that Sherlock brought him back to life, or will he fall back on his depression and potentially suicidal bleak existence?

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #217 on: January 27, 2013, 02:10:42 pm »
I had an epiphany about Irene Adler last night. . .I think the reason she was portrayed as so smitten with Sherlock is so that the password that Sherlock finally guessed at the end would work. But it skews her portrayal from the story and stereotypes her. However, I can certainly relate! I am smitten with him as well, as was Irene. . .and John!

I laugh every time I remember the scene where the action is heating up and Watson says, "Oh there you go turning your coat collar up and throwing your scarf over your shoulder to look cool." It is remarkably effective!

At the end of the month I'll be going to the annual meeting of Dr. Watson's Neglected Patients, which is affiliated with the Baker Street Irregulars, and I'm thinking about wearing a pea coat and scarf.

Make sure you sew one of your peacoat buttonholes with red thread.  ;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #218 on: January 27, 2013, 04:56:30 pm »
A friend proposed that the two of us go as Doyle's contemporaries Oscar Wilde and his lover so I get to be Bosie. I have a lovely 3-piece brown and yellow outfit with a lacy pocket square, a satin tie and a tuxedo shirt with a high collar. I also have a stylish cream colored bowler hat. My friend, as Oscar, is wearing a yellow and black striped jacket, a purple vest and bowler and a purple paisley pocket square. What a pair we will be!

I also remembered that in the story of The Final Problem, Watson was called away at the crucial moment on the trail to tend to a lady with a broken leg but when he arrived her leg was not broken. He knew he had been duped so he ran back up the trail but, alas, too late! The same thing happened in Sherlock but this time the story was that Mrs. Hudson had been shot. When he found out it was a lie, Watson caught a taxi back to the scene but arrived to find Sherlock standing on the edge of the roof.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #219 on: January 29, 2013, 02:42:24 pm »
A friend proposed that the two of us go as Doyle's contemporaries Oscar Wilde and his lover so I get to be Bosie. I have a lovely 3-piece brown and yellow outfit with a lacy pocket square, a satin tie and a tuxedo shirt with a high collar. I also have a stylish cream colored bowler hat. My friend, as Oscar, is wearing a yellow and black striped jacket, a purple vest and bowler and a purple paisley pocket square. What a pair we will be!

So how did this turn out? Did you create a sensation?  :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.