Author Topic: 400th Anniversary of the KJV  (Read 7129 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
400th Anniversary of the KJV
« on: December 29, 2010, 06:22:22 pm »
The year 2011 will mark the 400th anniversary of the publication of what we know as the "King James Version" of the Bible. Seven years in preparation, the version "authorized" by King James I of England was finally published in 1611.

It is generally acknowledged that for 300 years, the KJV had enormous influence on the development and usage of the English language. In the U.S. its influence and echoes can be heard in such important documents as the Declaration of Independence and Lincoln's Gettysburg Address.

For anyone who might be interested in learning more about how this monumentally influential book came about I can recommend the following from personal experience (that is to say, I've read them both):

Adam Nicolson, God's Secretaries: The Making of the King James Bible (HarperCollins, 2003)

Alister McGrath, In the Beginning: The Story of the King James Bible and How It Changed a Nation, a Language, and a Culture (Anchor Books/Random House, 2002)

Neither is a "religious book." They are studies of the KJV as an historical and cultural document.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: 400th Anniversary of the KJV
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 08:03:46 pm »
Hmmm, how about a big cake in the shape of an open book with numeral candles on it that say "400" instead of 400 individual candles because a) it would be impossible to light all of them at once and; b) If one did, it would look like you were burning the book, and that would be bad karma.

Funny how that started out to be a question and then there was no place for a question mark.

Seriously, I think in the English speaking work it will be the standard for the foreseeable generations. I remember reading that earlier attempts to translate the Bible from Latin ended in death for several people. I say good for King James, he opened a pandora's box in a way, but a lot of people learned to read just so they could know what it said.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 08:13:28 pm »
I was listening to an interesting show on NPR about all the phrases from KJB that have made it into common vernacular, such as "do not cast your pearls before swine."
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 10:22:48 pm »
I was listening to an interesting show on NPR about all the phrases from KJB that have made it into common vernacular, such as "do not cast your pearls before swine."

The McGrath book has a chapter on the Bible and the shaping of modern English that includes a list of phrases from the KJV that have been absorbed into common, everyday usage, such as "sour grapes" (Ezekiel 18:2), "to see the handwriting on the wall (Daniel 5:5), "the salt of the earth" (Matthew 5:13), "a thorn in the flesh" (2 Corinthians 12:7), and "the powers that be" (Romans 13:1).
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 02:20:22 pm »
The other night I watched The Big Gay Musical on DVD and they referred to the "Breeders Imformational Book of Living Examples", or B.I.B.L.E. for short.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 11:50:09 pm »
Saw a special the other night where a religious scholar suggested that the reason the KJV bible is so much ingrained in our language is because during the Reformation, the tangilble objects of worship and artwork - statues, stained glass, crosses, etc., - disappeared and all that was left was the beauty of the language of the KJV bible later.  So people took pleasure in that.  FWIW 

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 12:18:43 am »
It is interesting...I daresay that between the KJV and William Shakespeare, we get most of our idiomatic expressions.

The language of Brokeback Mountain is gradually replacing both, of course, sure enough.   :laugh:
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 12:48:41 am »
Wasn't King James gay? Or allegedly gay? Or at least bi? Or was that a different King James? Perhaps I should consult my good friend Google and ask him about it.

Anyway, if true, I wonder how many of these evangelicals who hate gay people so much realize their favorite bible is named after a gay king? :-\

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 01:18:34 am »
Wasn't King James gay? Or allegedly gay? Or at least bi? Or was that a different King James? Perhaps I should consult my good friend Google and ask him about it.

Anyway, if true, I wonder how many of these evangelicals who hate gay people so much realize their favorite bible is named after a gay king? :-\

Court gossip and some writings certainly say so.  He had quite a few good looking favorites and was a faithful gentleman to his wife i.e. never kissed another woman or had mistresses it is said.  Course, they don't count the men he reportedly kissed.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 01:20:32 am »
Wikipedia says some scholars believe so:

"Throughout his life James had close relationships with male courtiers, which has caused debate among historians about their nature.[114] After his accession in England, his peaceful and scholarly attitude strikingly contrasted with the bellicose and flirtatious behaviour of Elizabeth,[114] as indicated by the contemporary epigram Rex fuit Elizabeth, nunc est regina Jacobus (Elizabeth was King, now James is Queen).[115] Some of James's biographers conclude that Esmé Stewart (later Duke of Lennox), Robert Carr (later Earl of Somerset), and George Villiers (later Duke of Buckingham) were his lovers.[116] Restoration of Apethorpe Hall, undertaken in 2004–2008, revealed a previously unknown passage linking the bedchambers of James and Villiers.[117] Others argue that the relationships were not sexual.[118] In Basilikon Doron James lists sodomy among crimes "ye are bound in conscience never to forgive", and James's wife Anne gave birth to seven live children, as well as suffering two stillbirths and at least three other miscarriages.[119]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_I_of_England

And this source certainly thinks so:

http://www.edwardtbabinski.us/history/king_james_gay.html

I doubt it was unusual, David - one in 7 - 10 throughout history, consistently.  But yes, it's nice to have one more weapon in the arsenal against the Intolerants.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."