Author Topic: Counting Down to the End of....Downton Abbey  (Read 244815 times)

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Counting Down to the End of....Downton Abbey
« Reply #250 on: September 24, 2019, 01:34:35 am »
Really! He always seems old but I see he is 5 years younger than me. ;D
 For some reason he irritates me although I admit he can act. I saw him in "Sometimes, Always Never" at our recent International Film Festival.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
« Reply #251 on: September 25, 2019, 07:49:35 am »
I saw the film last night, and it sure delivers.

Sumptuous cinematography, lush music.

The familiar cast of characters is there, all organized around a royal visit.  While I found a plot device a bit silly, it was all in good fun.

The Dowager Countess had many choice lines.  My favorite:  "I don't argue; I explain".

Offline brianr

« Reply #252 on: October 08, 2019, 10:36:39 pm »
I just saw the movie for the 2nd time. i wondered whether I should but am so glad I did as I think I enjoyed it more although I cried more probably because I was not sitting with anyone I knew. It was the same 300 seat theatre as the first time when we had our movie group of about 30 and perhaps 100 all up. This time I do not think there was more than half a dozen, none sitting near me so I could let go. I have developed an infatuation with Allen Leech (Tom Branson) perhaps the character as much as his cute looks. Just checked I must have seen him in 'The Imitation Game' and 'Bohemian Rhapsody' but do not remember.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #253 on: October 09, 2019, 08:31:49 am »
Hi Brian, have you seen Allen in "Cowboys and Angels" from 2003?  He is delightful!  (Although he went by "Alan" then).

Offline brianr

« Reply #254 on: October 09, 2019, 04:53:51 pm »
No, I did not go to the movies much then, was still working. See it was a gay role as it was in Bohemian Rhapsody (cannot remember noticing him there) but sadly he is recently married and expecting a child. I do not know why but I found him much more attractive this time than in the TV series.
Have just looked up Robert James-Collier (Barrow). I have never found him attractive and still do not but, while I was always annoyed that the gay character was unpleasant, this time I really felt for him in several scenes. I do remember going to my first gay dance when I was about 30. It was not quite so risky by then but was still illegal.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #255 on: February 04, 2022, 03:59:07 pm »
As I polish silver in preparation for my daughter-in-law's baby shower tomorrow, I thought about all the servants huddling over a table polishing the silver. Everybody had to  do it, even the footmen, and it looked like they did it on their breaks.  :-\
"chewing gum and duct tape"