Author Topic: New Superman selected  (Read 65785 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: New Superman selected
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 07:46:45 pm »
Eh.  He's alright. 

I hope he cleans up well enough.  I don't like my Supermen with 5 o'clock shadows.

Ever the negativist, aren't you Del?  ::)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 08:04:39 pm »
Ever the negativist, aren't you Del?  ::)

Guess you missed that I LIKED Brandon Routh?  You didn't read anything negative out of me about him!!

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 01:20:56 am »

You know, this is a cleft chin you can trust;
add Superman's single curl, and we're good to go!

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 04:36:06 pm »

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011/02/05/zack-snyder-my-favorite-superman-artist-is/

Zack Snyder:
My favorite Superman artist is…

By Geoff Boucher
Feb. 05, 2011 | 8:56 a.m.

Zack Snyder

Zack Snyder has his Superman now with Henry Cavill all set to leap tall buildings in a single bound, but when the director closes his eyes and thinks about comics, which version of the Man of Steel does he visualize?

Superman U.S. postage stamp from
2006. (U.S. Postal Service)
Curt Swan and Sheldon Moldoff

The director of “300” and “Watchmen” is clearly conversant in funny-book history and the question gave him pause.

“There are so many interpetations, so many artists,” he pointed out, and, yes, that’s absolutely true. There’s the pioneer pencil of Joe Shuster and contemporary drawing board of Frank Quitely and scores of interesting candidates in between. Do you go with the old-school steadiness of Wayne Boring, the mythos-reshaping clarity of John Bryne, the singular sinew and crackle of Neal Adams? Perhaps the polished cosmic tableaus of George Perez or the memorable-moment work of Jerry Ordway?

For Snyder, he narrowed it down to a two-man split decision: Jim Lee and Curt Swan.

Jim Lee's Superman (DC Comics)

Swan’s work on Superman spanned five decades and there was a sort of noble, even gentle aura to his work and an absence of flash and grit – the bank robbers in Metropolis even wore coats and ties to work — that create a time-capsule vibe now. In the summer of 2006, the U.S. postal service released a new Superman stamp featuring the art of Swan (inked by Sheldon Moldoff ) and the elemental appeal of the image still sticks with Snyder.  

“It’s funny, I have that stamp image — it’s him tearing open his jacket. Its got a retro vibe to it, it’s cool. That’s the background on my iPad. It’s Curt Swan and the way he draws that jawline, it is like Mt. Rushmore, totally, or like ‘The Incredibles.’ Swan is really good.”

Swan is viewed by some as a Norman Rockwell-type figure in DC history and that appeals to Snyder but, on a pure fanboy level, he’s more impassioned by the work of Lee. The artist’s run on the “For Tomorrow” storyline (“Superman” No. 204-215), for instance, captured the brawny and heroic male ideal that, no surprise, resonates powerfully with the director of “300.”  

“My taste level goes to the more, I guess, muscular Superman. The bigger, more muscular Superman, the way Jim draws him. Those tend to be the artists I like in comics. So Jim’s Superman, for sure.  That’s not to say that’s how the movie will be, of course, but as far as the comics. It’s an interesting thing to think about though. There have just been so many incarnations and so many great ones. As a fan you don’t really to have to pick, you can enjoy them all.”

"Camping Out"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 06:02:54 pm »
Geez, he doesn't look old enough to be out of film school. ...

Cute, though.

He likes the "more muscular Superman"? Hmmm. ...  8)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2011, 07:21:35 pm »

Yeah, he'll
definitely do.

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: New Superman selected: Henry Cavill's evolving abs!
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2011, 07:46:00 pm »

Oh my!

:o :o :o :o

http://www.movieline.com/2011/04/henry-cavill-istraining-geeking-out-over-thought-of-donning-supermans-costume.php

WonderCon  ||  by Jen Yamato  ||  04 02 2011  4:00 PM
Henry Cavill Talks Superman Training,
Best Abs Contests And
Geeking Out Over The Costume

Movieline  caught up with future Superman Henry Cavill Saturday at WonderCon, where he’s scheduled to present footage from his upcoming Greek hero pic Immortals.  More on his turn as the mud-speckled Greek hero Theseus to come; first, Cavill divulged details of how he’s currently training to become the Man of Steel, how he’s shaping his Super body differently from his ab-tastic Immortals  physique, and how his inner geek comes out as costume tests progress.

Cavill spent months on Tarsem’s Immortals  constantly training, maintaining six percent body fat, and, he jokes, competing with his co-stars to see “who had the best abs.” Following the Immortals  shoot, he filmed The Cold Light of Day  with Bruce Willis and Sigourney Weaver, a project that allowed him to lay off the strict regimen. Then he got the Superman  call.

“After a month of training with Mark Twight’s program for Gym Jones - he did 300  and Sucker Punch  as well - this foundation phase has sort of got me back towards my fitness,” Cavill explained. “Not quite in Immortals  shape like I was, but I’ve got the base there again. So the hard work really begins now when I go to L.A. That’s going to be exciting.” The future Clark Kent/Superman hasn’t yet begun specific action training for Superman.  While he had to get into demigod shape for Immortals,  Cavill explains that Superman’s physique will require him to shape his body differently, “back and beyond” what the Immortals  shoot required.

“It’s going to be a different kind of shape. When you see the Immortals  shape you’ll see what I mean. We obviously haven’t had the final brief yet, it’s going to adapt and change as far as when Mark sees my body adapting to the training he’ll go, ‘Okay, Henry can do this,’ or ‘Henry can’t do this,’ or ‘His body will look better like that.’ It’ll be fine-tuned and tweaked as we go along. But I think it’s going to be a different sort of shape from Immortals. ”

The next step will be donning that iconic Superman costume, which is still being designed. “There have been some concept costume fittings,” said Cavill. “I’m so excited - it’s fantastic. Really, really fantastic. Sometimes… I mean, I’m sitting here talking to you about being Superman, for example. And then it dawns on me and I go, ‘Oh my God, I’m Superman!’ It’s really exciting and an incredible opportunity, so as soon as I’m jumping into the costume and stuff it starts to become real.”

“As soon as you don the cape and the S shield, it’s one of those things where you go, ‘Wow - this is real.’”

"Camping Out"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2011, 08:31:11 pm »
I just hope he can escape from the Superman curse.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2011, 09:29:10 pm »
The abs are fine in that photo, but he definitely needs to work on the shoulders and biceps.

And they'd better not neglect his ass. After all, Superman has to have buns of steel in those red briefs.

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: New Superman selected: Henry Cavill's evolving--vowels??
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2011, 09:34:23 pm »

LOVE the cleft chin, but the accent--

Oi!

He better be working on the accent
while  working on the abs!

::) :laugh:
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YX_im4TnjE[/youtube]
Uploaded by hitfixcom
on Apr 2, 2011
Superman - Henry Cavill
at WonderCon2011