Author Topic: Judge Tosses Suit After Substitute Shows "Brokeback Mountain" to Grade-School  (Read 2609 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
 ::)

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb2gH5PQEG0[/youtube]
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club

Oh dear.  ::) :-X
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
The was she says "Brokeback Mountain"...sounds like she is about to puke.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
The was she says "Brokeback Mountain"...sounds like she is about to puke.

Yep, not even a token effort to hide her homophobia.    >:(

That said, though, I agree that the teacher should not have shown it in a public school because 1) math class and 2) 7th graders - no R rated movies for 7th graders unless approved by the parents in advance - that's just common sense and the teacher used poor judgment - obviously an agenda there.

Of course, it is another discussion about whether or not BBM deserved the R rating - I think so - but because of the violence, not the gay sex.  I've long been annoyed at really violent movies that get PG-13 ratings, whereas any amount of sex or nudity pushes a film into the R category, especially if it relates to homosexuality.  It's puritanical.

It sounds as if the jury got it right though - not something that caused "extreme emotional distress".  It was irresponsible of the attorney to litigate this case, if you ask me.  Most likely he/she/they were after the headlines, which they got, which is ultimately good for BBM and rural gay people.  A few more of those watching Faux News heard about a movie that may have piqued their interest and lead them on a journey of self-discovery.  Let's watch for new user names that aren't of the spammer variety.

:)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline ifyoucantfixit

This is just a first class example of how homophobic people in general are.  The
grandparents from an earlier age group would fall more into that category, than most other parents would.  Having said that; I do think that the teacher was extremely unprofessional in having done this.  Especially since it was shown in a math class.  She obviously had an already set agenda, and was just waiting forthe chance to use her position to show it.  I do not think however that there is
any way that the child of that age, could have ever suffered long and lasting emotional or, any permanent distress.  If they had proved that had happened.  I think the outcome would have been different.

Those reporters are so over the top with their comments, and act like
she had stood the children up in front of the class and demonstrated the
male on male sex act to them.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 08:54:03 pm by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind