Author Topic: DVD BUYING: SHARE WEIRD STORIES, NUMBER YOU BOUGHT and FOR WHOM?  (Read 15143 times)

rtprod

Hi Everyone,

I picked up three today at Best Buy, books included! 

I've heard some weird stories about rude clerks, annoying comments from other customers and etc...  Have any to share? 

Also, how many will everyone be getting, and what will you be doing with them?

rt
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 12:26:23 pm by rtprod »

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
How much is it at Best Buy?  I still think we should get one for Brandon.   ;D
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

rtprod

It is 16.99 at BB...

rt

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Wow, that really is a good buy (though Wal-Mart, aka The Evil Empire, has it for less, I understand).

I bought one for 21.99 against my better judgment at Blockbuster today, I have one on order from Barnes & Noble I should be receiving tomorrow or the next day, and I already have a screener.

I went into Blockbuster just to check out the buy and rental displays because it was right next door to a pharmacy where I had to pick up a prescription for my son.  Apparently, the display for buying copies wasn't set up yet.  While I was looking at the rental display, this woman about my age was on her cell phone saying, "OK... New releases...  Chronicles of Narnia and Brokeback Mountain."  Then she laughs and goes, "Yeah, I know.  I don't really want to see either of those, either."  That's all it took.  Within earshot and in my best impromptu stage voice, I said to the woman behind the counter, "Excuse me, but will you be selling copies of Brokeback Mountain as well?"  She says, "Yes, I'm sorry - I just don't have the display set up yet - it's going to go in front of the Narnia one, there (YAY, Blockbuster!!!).  You can just grab one of those - they're stacked on the table in front of it."  I did, and I hear the woman on the phone go as I was paying for it, "Well, some chick (?!) just BOUGHT a copy of Brokeback Mountain.  Maybe it really IS good."

Yo, you with the decision-making (and apparently taste) disorder - JUST RENT IT, DAMMIT.  No, I didn't say that.  Honestly, I think it'd be wasted on her.  But just the same, I can't tell you how satisfied I felt to be "the chick that just bought a copy of Brokeback Mountain."

Oh, and when I was done checking out, the woman behind the counter goes, "Enjoy it.  God knows I did."  I gave her my best Ennis smile and a wink.

It was a good day.  It was a good day.  It was a good day.

(And I REALLY need to get out more.  Or some.)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 12:15:20 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
I'll just be buying one copy, for myself.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

rtprod

Barb,

What a vivid and funny take on the buying experience this morning -- pehaps I should revise the thread name to discuss the overall process.  On IMDB this morning, someone claimed a WalMart clerk was incredibly rude once she saw what the poster was purchasing!  Another poster said the Best Buy clerk admitted to him--this is for real--that the clerk himself was a "bit of a homophobe!"  Can you believe it?

Sounds like the experience was worth 21.99 after all!  Sometimes we need to get in people's faces about it, don't we?  Like you, I have many times spoken about the movie in public, within earshot of others, just to gauge reaction and wake people up!  

rt
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 01:57:53 pm by rtprod »

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
Re: DVD BUYING: SHARE WEIRD STORIES, NUMBER YOU BOUGHT and FOR WHOM?
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 12:34:45 pm »
I am stressed now.  I found out the copy I bought is the Full Screen version.  The store only got 50 copies in, and none were widescreen.

Here's my dilemma - the purist in me says that I absolutely have to have widescreen to keep my integrity. 

But the pop culturist in me says "Ooh, the picture is SO big!".

The Completist in me says "buy the widescreen too, and the special edition dvd when it comes out, and the HD DVD when it comes out, and download it when it becomes available on iTunes, and buy the PSP version too."

What's a multi-faceted boy to do?
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 12:38:54 pm »
I say go with the Completist in you.  It's your only option.  ;)
No more beans!

rtprod

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 12:40:55 pm »
Flash,

You HAVE to get the widescreen....  don't you?   :)

rt

rtprod

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 12:41:34 pm »
And here's another wonderful quote from the main board:

"My brother and I went to Wal-Mart at midnight to get the first copies in town. The stock men were laughing about the movie and I walked up to get my copies, they stopped then started laughing again as I was walking away."