Author Topic: DVD BUYING: SHARE WEIRD STORIES, NUMBER YOU BOUGHT and FOR WHOM?  (Read 14962 times)

rtprod

Hi Everyone,

I picked up three today at Best Buy, books included! 

I've heard some weird stories about rude clerks, annoying comments from other customers and etc...  Have any to share? 

Also, how many will everyone be getting, and what will you be doing with them?

rt
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 12:26:23 pm by rtprod »

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
How much is it at Best Buy?  I still think we should get one for Brandon.   ;D
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

rtprod

It is 16.99 at BB...

rt

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Wow, that really is a good buy (though Wal-Mart, aka The Evil Empire, has it for less, I understand).

I bought one for 21.99 against my better judgment at Blockbuster today, I have one on order from Barnes & Noble I should be receiving tomorrow or the next day, and I already have a screener.

I went into Blockbuster just to check out the buy and rental displays because it was right next door to a pharmacy where I had to pick up a prescription for my son.  Apparently, the display for buying copies wasn't set up yet.  While I was looking at the rental display, this woman about my age was on her cell phone saying, "OK... New releases...  Chronicles of Narnia and Brokeback Mountain."  Then she laughs and goes, "Yeah, I know.  I don't really want to see either of those, either."  That's all it took.  Within earshot and in my best impromptu stage voice, I said to the woman behind the counter, "Excuse me, but will you be selling copies of Brokeback Mountain as well?"  She says, "Yes, I'm sorry - I just don't have the display set up yet - it's going to go in front of the Narnia one, there (YAY, Blockbuster!!!).  You can just grab one of those - they're stacked on the table in front of it."  I did, and I hear the woman on the phone go as I was paying for it, "Well, some chick (?!) just BOUGHT a copy of Brokeback Mountain.  Maybe it really IS good."

Yo, you with the decision-making (and apparently taste) disorder - JUST RENT IT, DAMMIT.  No, I didn't say that.  Honestly, I think it'd be wasted on her.  But just the same, I can't tell you how satisfied I felt to be "the chick that just bought a copy of Brokeback Mountain."

Oh, and when I was done checking out, the woman behind the counter goes, "Enjoy it.  God knows I did."  I gave her my best Ennis smile and a wink.

It was a good day.  It was a good day.  It was a good day.

(And I REALLY need to get out more.  Or some.)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 12:15:20 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
I'll just be buying one copy, for myself.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

rtprod

Barb,

What a vivid and funny take on the buying experience this morning -- pehaps I should revise the thread name to discuss the overall process.  On IMDB this morning, someone claimed a WalMart clerk was incredibly rude once she saw what the poster was purchasing!  Another poster said the Best Buy clerk admitted to him--this is for real--that the clerk himself was a "bit of a homophobe!"  Can you believe it?

Sounds like the experience was worth 21.99 after all!  Sometimes we need to get in people's faces about it, don't we?  Like you, I have many times spoken about the movie in public, within earshot of others, just to gauge reaction and wake people up!  

rt
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 01:57:53 pm by rtprod »

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
Re: DVD BUYING: SHARE WEIRD STORIES, NUMBER YOU BOUGHT and FOR WHOM?
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 12:34:45 pm »
I am stressed now.  I found out the copy I bought is the Full Screen version.  The store only got 50 copies in, and none were widescreen.

Here's my dilemma - the purist in me says that I absolutely have to have widescreen to keep my integrity. 

But the pop culturist in me says "Ooh, the picture is SO big!".

The Completist in me says "buy the widescreen too, and the special edition dvd when it comes out, and the HD DVD when it comes out, and download it when it becomes available on iTunes, and buy the PSP version too."

What's a multi-faceted boy to do?
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 12:38:54 pm »
I say go with the Completist in you.  It's your only option.  ;)
No more beans!

rtprod

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 12:40:55 pm »
Flash,

You HAVE to get the widescreen....  don't you?   :)

rt

rtprod

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 12:41:34 pm »
And here's another wonderful quote from the main board:

"My brother and I went to Wal-Mart at midnight to get the first copies in town. The stock men were laughing about the movie and I walked up to get my copies, they stopped then started laughing again as I was walking away."

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2006, 12:44:33 pm »
Flash,

You HAVE to get the widescreen....  don't you?   :)

Yes, Flash.  You HAVE to.  Remember, friends don't let friends buy fullscreen.  Or vote Republican.
No more beans!

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2006, 01:05:45 pm »
Flash,

You HAVE to get the widescreen....  don't you?   :)

rt

I actually bought the full screen..wanted to see every bit of them.. I went 1:00 this morning to Walmart and bought 8 copies.. 2 for me and 5 for various friends and 1 sister.  The girl looked at me like I had a third eye.  Some people just don't appreciate fine art...sigh
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006, 01:18:38 pm »
Can we discuss widescreen versus full screen? I always feel if I watch movies widescreen I'm going to miss a lot, because there IS that huge block of black at the top and bottom. But I've heard people say the opposite is true. Anyone?
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2006, 01:27:43 pm »
Can we discuss widescreen versus full screen? I always feel if I watch movies widescreen I'm going to miss a lot, because there IS that huge block of black at the top and bottom. But I've heard people say the opposite is true. Anyone?

Actually, by watching fullscreen, you're missing both sides of the entire frame as the cinematographer/director shot it.  That's what that message at the beginning means that says, "This film has been modified from its orignal version - it has been formatted to fit your screen."  They cut off the two sides to make a square, basically, and you're only seeing the very center of the shot magnified.  I do understand how the bars can be a distraction and how if your TV's not that big, it seems to make the picture too small.

I used to only watch fullscreen because I just wanted the biggest picture I could get.  But watching masterpieces like 2001: A Space Odyssey and this one that way is gonna make you miss significant parts of the shot.  Just my $0.02 (and then some, I know.  ;))
No more beans!

Offline Spooky_Rabbit

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jimmy
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2006, 01:40:04 pm »
I bought it at Target bright and early this morning and it was supposed to have the CD of the audio book inside but it didn't!

I feel like an ass taking it back.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm....   ???
I know I shall meet you on that final day! Water Walkin' Jesus, take me away...

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2006, 01:46:38 pm »
I just went into Target this morning. Pretty uneventful. Apparently Universal packaged the DVD for Target especially to include an audio CD of the short story. It sells (for now) for $16.99.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

rtprod

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2006, 01:47:00 pm »
Hi Sparkle--

You have it completely backwards and many people feel the same as you.  Though it's a personal preference, I implore you NOT to buy fullscreen.  You are missing a good chunk of the film frame and vision of the director.  Please see this link immediately to see the difference in picture and loss:

http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/release/video/f20020925/index.html

Witih fullscreen, a hack technician who transfers the film from DVD employs a damaging process called "pan and scan" to fit a rectangular movie ratio into a square TV ratio, deciding which portions of the frame you should look at and then moving the scan around the actual film frame to "show" you what you should see.  Oh, and in the process he arbitrarily "chops" the edges off the picture too.  All sense of Rodrigo Prieto's balance and composition will go out the window (if you can even see the window in BBM's final scene, that is).  Get the widescreen version and deal with the image, a bit smaller if you have a standard TV, but complete, as it is meant to be seen.  Anything else is blasphemous.  

If someone who bought the fullscreen version could watch and then describe the final scene of the movie, I would love it ---- I imagine that there would have to be a superfluous pan and scan movement added to get to Ennis' window, but I'm not sure.  Since the film is not in any extra wide format like 2.35:1, it won't be as damaging as it has been in other films. 

BBM ratio: 1.85:1
Standard TV screen ratio: 4:3
Widescreen TV ratio: 1.78:1 (16x9)

If you have a widescreen TV, the widescreen enhanced film will fit perfectly with no black bars.  
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 02:01:08 pm by rtprod »

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2006, 01:51:09 pm »
I bought it at Target bright and early this morning and it was supposed to have the CD of the audio book inside but it didn't!

I feel like an ass taking it back.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm....   ???

I think you have to look for the packaging with a sticker that says "TARGET EXCLUSIVE - FREE AUDIO CD INSIDE".
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Nicole

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Nicole R.
    • MY MySpace Page
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2006, 01:57:47 pm »
I got mine and put this on another thread, but I'll repost here.  AND, I just have to say that Best Buy in Canada ain't giving away sh!t with the dvd - they did the same with Jarhead - no dogtags here :(

So, I am currently watching "On Being a Cowboy" - I finally have my very own copy of the dvd!  And, just to let everyone know, those who thought that the Canadian cover would be different, which I didn't think would happen, it's true.  We have that cover with the picture of the Oscar on the front.  I was so excited when I saw it on the shelf that I grabbed the first copy I reached and went to the cash.  I realized at the last minute that I had grabbed the Fullscreen edition - horror!  I exchanged it before paying.  And the woman who sold it to me asked if I had seen it in the theater, and I had to suppress a laugh and just said "yeah".  She asked if I liked it and I told her it was the best movie of 2005 and probably my favourite movie ever.  I didn't tell her that I was officially insane though.

Oh my.  I just saw footage of Jake riding a mechanical bull.  I may have to rewind that!

Edit:  I forgot to mention that after I told her my opinion she said that she was definitely going to buy a copy b/c she'd heard so many good things and I had just convinced her of it.  So yay!  Another sale of BBM thanks to my motormouth.  :)
   Cowboys do it better

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2006, 02:01:01 pm »
Wow, interesting link. That's a considerable amount of image we don't get to see with fullscreen.
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

rtprod

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2006, 02:05:13 pm »
Yes, isn't that true?  Now that Star Wars film is in 2.35:1, which is wider than Brokeback's 1.85:1, and so the transfer problems with full screen are a bit more apparent.  However, you don't want to miss a blade of grass, a tree or any items in Jack Twist's bedroom near the end of the film.

Also, PAN and SCAN bastardizes physical relations between space and characters.  For instance, when Ennis is speaking to Mrs. Twist and she's got her back turned on Mr. Twist, and she puts her hand to her throat, we should be able to see Mr. Twist in the rear of the frame perfectly.  However, I'm not sure if this is going to happen when the film is cropped for full screen.  We may just see Roberta Maxwell.  I could be wrong. 

rtprod
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 02:07:13 pm by rtprod »

rtprod

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2006, 02:28:24 pm »
Someone posted this strange item on the main IMDB board -- anyone else experience this yet?

"Purchased the DVD last night, the widescreen version, and the only thing that appears in so called widescreen (letterbox) are previews. When feature film starts, letterbox goes away, becomes regular (distorted) full screen. Is anyone else having the same problem? Returned DVD once, same problem with second one as well. Brand new DVD player, and other films in my collection that say widescreen appear as letterbox on DVD/TV. All settings are the same for all my DVD's, so it's not the player or the television. Was this a screw up at Focus Features/Universal? Any ideas?"

Offline Nicole

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Nicole R.
    • MY MySpace Page
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2006, 02:33:12 pm »
Someone posted this strange item on the main IMDB board -- anyone else experience this yet?

"Purchased the DVD last night, the widescreen version, and the only thing that appears in so called widescreen (letterbox) are previews. When feature film starts, letterbox goes away, becomes regular (distorted) full screen. Is anyone else having the same problem? Returned DVD once, same problem with second one as well. Brand new DVD player, and other films in my collection that say widescreen appear as letterbox on DVD/TV. All settings are the same for all my DVD's, so it's not the player or the television. Was this a screw up at Focus Features/Universal? Any ideas?"

RT - I am having that problem!  I watched a couple of the special features and they were letterboxed, and now when I watch the actual movie, it's not!  I was wondering if it was my tv - I was just about to put it on the big screen one to see if that makes a difference. 
   Cowboys do it better

Offline amh

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • C'mere, baby.
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2006, 02:39:59 pm »
I remember John (jmmgallagher) talking about the same letterbox problem when he got his DVD from that Kim's Video in NYC a few weeks ago.  He was afraid it was his television too, but from what you guys are saying maybe that's not the case?   
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 02:42:54 pm by amh625 »
:-* This ain't no rodeo, cowboy.

Offline Nicole

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Nicole R.
    • MY MySpace Page
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2006, 02:48:50 pm »
Okay, this is weird.  On my big screen tv, it IS letterboxed.  Is that normal for it to do that?  The other tv I was watching it on isn't tiny - 27 inches.  And other widescreen movies are letterboxed on it.  Hunh?!?!??!
   Cowboys do it better

rtprod

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2006, 02:56:48 pm »
Nicole,

Please tell me -- is your big screen TV widescreeen, 16x9 or regular 4:3?

If it is 16x9, we should not see any letterbox at all -- the 1.85 image will fill the screen.

rt
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 04:10:01 pm by rtprod »

Offline wtbgirl

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2006, 03:06:26 pm »
I agree - Pan and scan is THE worst way to watch a film, especially for a film as beautifully shot as Brokeback Mountain and particularly for viewers that want to absorb every detail (like US!!!!!!!).  Pan and scan literally crops off the sides of the original widescreen image. This is considered destructive to the director's original vision and intentions, because it can remove up to 45%!!!!!!!! of the original image, and hinder the viewer's understanding of the film.

During the "pan and scan" process, a random operator selects the parts of the original filmed composition that seem to be significant and makes sure they are copied — "scanning." When the important action shifts to a new position in the frame, the operator moves the scanner to follow it, creating the effect of a pan shot.  This method can severely alter compositions and therefore dramatic effects.

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2006, 03:16:50 pm »
There are certain movies that look really weird to me. The camera seems to move awkwardly. It's hard to describe. One example that sticks out in my mind is The Fan with DeNiro. Watching that movie almost made me dizzy. Is that an example of pan and scan?

Offline wtbgirl

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2006, 03:24:51 pm »
In re The Fan - yeah, sounds like pan and scan - in certain films it is so cropped you literally see the camera panning left and right, back and forth, when two characters are speaking to each other.   

Other examples of dramatic difeerences:  in Jaws, in many key sequences the shark can be seen approaching for several seconds more in the widescreen version than in the pan and scan version. For the opening crawl in each Star Wars film, on the pan and scan versions the viewer has to wait until a line of text of the opening crawl reaches the center of the screen to read through that whole line. On the widescreen versions, the each line of opening crawl text appears in its entirety right at the bottom of the widescreen.

Offline montferrat

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "hunh?!"
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2006, 05:44:05 pm »
Howdy folks,

OK, here's my BBM DVD afternoon.

First I went to Amazon.com and bought my older sister in Kentucky a copy and had it shipped off to her as a surprise. She hasn't seen BBM yet.

Left the house at 2:00 pm and drove into the nearest big town and went to Blockbuster and bought a second copy. They had 2 big ole Narnia displays in the front and no BBM display. However there were a bucnh of copies on the top shelf of the New Release rack.  More Narnia at each register, but no BBM. Anyhow the clerk asked if I'd seen BBM yet, I said yes, and then she went on about how much she loved it. I then said "You guys aren't really promoting the heck out of BBM though..." And she asked what I meant. I said "Well you've got these 2 Narnia displays and no BBM one..." She said "yes, we do!  It's in the back."   ahh..... ::)  good amount seemed missing.

Anyhow, I drove across the road to the local Barnes & Noble and purchased copy #3. I was like, "wow! you guys have it right up front!, not like Blockbuster!" and they were all pleased and everything and were like "Yeah, Blockbuster thinks thier a FAMILY store...blah blah blah...look how liberal we are! blah dee blah..."    ::)  good amount seemed missing.

OK, then I drove around the corner to the local mall and went to Target for copy #4 and noticed that Narnia had a huge display and poor BBM was relegated to the THIRD shelf down on the new release rack. Lots of copies, but had to be sure I got Widescreen. The Audio CD of the book that people were talking about? In my Target it only came with the Fullscreen version. about half the copies were gone.

Then I walked through the mall and bought copy #5 at the FYE record/DVD store. Man they tried selling me batteries, discount cards, fullscreen version, asked if I need the soundtrack...I barely made it out of there alive.

Headed back towards my tiny town as it had started snowing out and stopped near my house at our local non-chain video store and purchased copy #6. IT WAS THE LAST COPY IN MY TOWN!!!!!  I live in a very rural part of Connecticut in a really small town , boy was I shocked. They said they'd gotten a lot of copies for sale too and sold them all in like 4 hours. Like I said, I bought the last one.  I went over to the rentals and saw that they had 31 copies out for rent and there were only 7 left on the shelves. WOW! How cool is that?  That was at like 3:00 pm. So my little rural neighbors are pretty hip I guess!

SO, I then went to the local library , and like a someone else here on this forum, I intended to donate copy #6 to them. I had to ask for directions to the darn place. I've been here 3 years and never saw it. Anyway, I got there and proceeded to get my library card, and then asked if they'd accept a donation of BBM. They nearly fell over with delight!
One librarian was like, didn't that just come out? And I was like, yeah, today!  And she was like "OMG!!!  THANK YOU!"
Then she ran to another librarian and showed her the DVD and they were like BEAMING!  I felt really excellent!

Well, that was my afternoon!

I feel really good about today!

Paul

"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2006, 05:55:52 pm »
I swear you guy are trying to KILL me!

la lal la la - I can't hear you!

Paul - good on you for giving a copy to the library -what a great idea! You rock!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2006, 05:58:48 pm »
Howdy folks,

OK, here's my BBM DVD afternoon.

First I went to Amazon.com and bought my older sister in Kentucky a copy and had it shipped off to her as a surprise. She hasn't seen BBM yet.

Left the house at 2:00 pm and drove into the nearest big town and went to Blockbuster and bought a second copy. They had 2 big ole Narnia displays in the front and no BBM display. However there were a bucnh of copies on the top shelf of the New Release rack.  More Narnia at each register, but no BBM. Anyhow the clerk asked if I'd seen BBM yet, I said yes, and then she went on about how much she loved it. I then said "You guys aren't really promoting the heck out of BBM though..." And she asked what I meant. I said "Well you've got these 2 Narnia displays and no BBM one..." She said "yes, we do!  It's in the back."   ahh..... ::)  good amount seemed missing.

Anyhow, I drove across the road to the local Barnes & Noble and purchased copy #3. I was like, "wow! you guys have it right up front!, not like Blockbuster!" and they were all pleased and everything and were like "Yeah, Blockbuster thinks thier a FAMILY store...blah blah blah...look how liberal we are! blah dee blah..."    ::)  good amount seemed missing.

OK, then I drove around the corner to the local mall and went to Target for copy #4 and noticed that Narnia had a huge display and poor BBM was relegated to the THIRD shelf down on the new release rack. Lots of copies, but had to be sure I got Widescreen. The Audio CD of the book that people were talking about? In my Target it only came with the Fullscreen version. about half the copies were gone.

Then I walked through the mall and bought copy #5 at the FYE record/DVD store. Man they tried selling me batteries, discount cards, fullscreen version, asked if I need the soundtrack...I barely made it out of there alive.

Headed back towards my tiny town as it had started snowing out and stopped near my house at our local non-chain video store and purchased copy #6. IT WAS THE LAST COPY IN MY TOWN!!!!!  I live in a very rural part of Connecticut in a really small town , boy was I shocked. They said they'd gotten a lot of copies for sale too and sold them all in like 4 hours. Like I said, I bought the last one.  I went over to the rentals and saw that they had 31 copies out for rent and there were only 7 left on the shelves. WOW! How cool is that?  That was at like 3:00 pm. So my little rural neighbors are pretty hip I guess!

SO, I then went to the local library , and like a someone else here on this forum, I intended to donate copy #6 to them. I had to ask for directions to the darn place. I've been here 3 years and never saw it. Anyway, I got there and proceeded to get my library card, and then asked if they'd accept a donation of BBM. They nearly fell over with delight!
One librarian was like, didn't that just come out? And I was like, yeah, today!  And she was like "OMG!!!  THANK YOU!"
Then she ran to another librarian and showed her the DVD and they were like BEAMING!  I felt really excellent!

Well, that was my afternoon!

I feel really good about today!

Paul

very cool day, Paul. it was like was on an adventure with you. and the reaction at the library is great. so I'm curious, what are you doing with your 4 remaining copies?

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2006, 05:59:44 pm »
Holy Rand McNally!   You were a busy bee this afternoon!       Good for you Cowboy!

Geez!   I wont be receiving my copy from Amazon.com until the 7th!

Offline montferrat

• "hunh?!"
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2006, 06:01:14 pm »

Bzzzz Bzzzzz Bzzzzz....

Hi Star,

Well I'm keeping 2 copies. One to open and use and one I'll keep wrapped in case of "emergencies" .

1 copy for my mother.

That leaves one more copy, which I may donate to another library here in CT or give to a friend.

"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline Nicole

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Nicole R.
    • MY MySpace Page
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2006, 06:03:04 pm »
Nicole,

Please tell me -- is your big screen TV widescreeen, 16x9 or regular 4:3?

If it is 16x9, we should not see any letterbox at all -- the 1.85 image will fill the screen.

rt

Sorry I didn't get back to you right away, but things got a little hectic here this afternoon.  I know that the big screen tv isn't widescreen - it's kind of a big square.  I don't know what 16x9 or 4:3 means.....um....sorry!  I would say that it's about 55 inches and not rectangular.  Lol -- I hope that wasn't too technical for you.  But my 27 inch tv is square too, so I don't understand why the movie wasn't letterboxed on it.  Hmmmm.....

And Paul- wow!  Quite the afternoon you've had.  A one-man BBM-Awareness team.  Good for you for donating a copy to the library.  I really want to do that but just took my car in to the shop today and was informed that I need a new speed sensor (whatever that is) and it's costing me over $400, so my good deed of donating to the library will have to wait (as will other luxuries such as food and gas for my car, lol).
   Cowboys do it better

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2006, 06:07:49 pm »
Wow Paul thanks for sharing your BBM DVD story, I'll be purchasing mine this weekend when I get paid ;D
..I just got back from Brokeback in the theatre though, I'll really miss seeing it in the theatre.

Offline montferrat

• "hunh?!"
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2006, 06:12:06 pm »
Hey Brandon,

How was it today in the theater?  Were you the only one there? I'm going a little bit nuts because Boxoffice mojo isn't tracking BBM during the week anymore, just shows up there like Thursday or something and i want to see it make 83,000,000.00  still!  It's close, like 82,850,000.00 or something. But it's only pulling in like 25,000 a day or less.
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2006, 06:19:11 pm »
There was me and 6 other women lol I felt a little out of place, but I sat up front and they were in the back. I heard one of the ladies saying she'd already seen it and that it's really sad, then another lady asked "really? Two guys gettin together sad?" and then she's like "yeah" then the lady asked if it was a chick flick and she goes "Oh yeah" ( I was about to say "THIS IS NOT A CHICK FLICK!!" but didn't lol). Then she goes "A lot of women aren't gonna let their husbands go fishing anymore" which I laughed to myself at. They were mostly quiet during the movie, whispering here and there, then there was some blowing of noses and sniffling. All and all a good viewing.

Offline montferrat

• "hunh?!"
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2006, 06:48:58 pm »
LOL.  I'm glad it was a good viewing Brandon!

Yeah, I suspect a lot of women whether they admit it or not, will think a little bit when their man says he's goin' fishin' for the weekend with Joe.

:)

"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2006, 07:42:42 pm »
LOL.  I'm glad it was a good viewing Brandon!

Yeah, I suspect a lot of women whether they admit it or not, will think a little bit when their man says he's goin' fishin' for the weekend with Joe.

I'll tell ya what - I have some neighbors - she's a Fundamentalist Christian and he's a Jew - born in Israel.  Practicing, but not devout.  Not that that matters - just giving you the background on the extent of what I know about them.  Anyway, about six months ago she mentions to me these "fishing" trips he likes to take several times a year with "his best buddy" in Costa Rica.  I remember distinctly the time she mentioned it - it was to my husband and I at a block party/barbeque, and when she turned her back, we exchanged knowing glances, as in yeah... RIGHT.  The first time I saw the movie was with my husband, and when Ennis says to Alma, "Jack's an old fishing buddy," we just looked right at each other in the theater and mouthed "David!"  And I know we weren't even saying that as in it's a gay affair (wouldn't matter one way or the other if it was to us), but just that that was when we knew for sure.

Getting back to the Fundamentalist Christian thing, I reckon this is one movie his wife will never see, so his secret's safe for the time being.

And Paul, what a great day it sounds like you had!  I went after work and bought yet another copy at Best Buy (and got the Story to Screenplay book for free with it, too).  I now have four copies.  I plan to donate at least one to one library in town, and possibly another one to the other one.  Then I'll have my two copies - one for always having on hand and one for lending out.  It's all good.
No more beans!

Offline montferrat

• "hunh?!"
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2006, 08:00:11 pm »
Barb...Oh my...wait til the next block party and see if she mentions any fishing trips again...

Isn't this neat?  I've never bought more than one copy of a DVD before, much less donated a copy to a library. It's just another example of the wonderful inspiration this movie has engendered.

I may follow your example and keep one of my copies as a "lender".

:)

"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2006, 08:07:58 pm »
Good job Paul, you're a very devoted Brokie ;D
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 08:15:33 pm by EnnisDelMar »

Offline montferrat

• "hunh?!"
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2006, 08:11:53 pm »
Thanks Brandon...
and hey, don't you owe me something?

>:D
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2006, 08:16:23 pm »
Hmmmm..... ;D

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2006, 08:56:08 pm »
Hey Brokies! God I miss you guys!!!!!!! I only posted like, 2 things today so far. I was at work and feeling like I had to actually do something productive or walk around with my tail between my legs all day for slippin' off to see you all every chance I get! ('fraid I'll get shot by Lureen or the husband each time, too).

So! Here's my two little stories to share. Both of 'em had me grinning on the way home. I redlined it all the way, couldn't get here fast enough. (well, the subway couldn't get me here fast enough, let's put it that way.  :))

I was doing a little errand at a craft store in Tribeca (a neighborhood in lower Manhattan) for the necklace-making I am doing for some of y'all, and I walked out onto the street, and these two guys, maybe three, a little more rough than refined-looking, are walking in the opposite direction from me. One of them hits the other one on the arm and says, kinda animated-like, "Oh, Brokeback Mountain comes out today, that's what they were celebrating."

I hear this as they are passing me, and I turn around after them and I go,"Whoohooo!!" And then I got all curious and said, "What do you mean, celebrating? What are you talking about?" (cause I had obviously missed seeing what they were talking about) and the one guy looks back and points to his buddy, and I realized they weren't going to tell me, so i just said, "You should see it if you haven't yet!" and they kind of smiled at me. We had about 40 feet of space between us by then, nothin to do but keep walkin.

THEN, as I was doing some other errands in Brooklyn before heading home, I decided to check in at the local Blockbuster, where I have my copy of the Station Agent still checked out. After making sure I didn't owe it to them yet, I said, how're the rentals going for Brokeback Mountain so far today? Have you rented it much yet?" and the guy looks in the direction of the shelves they are on and says, "Oh man, they're goin' like crazy!"

I go "Yessss! That's awesome!" and told them to have a good night. Walked outta there with a huge smile on my face.

It's a good day for the world! Brokeback is spreading like wildfire across the land and will soon be known to the masses who were too afraid to see it before. Just think, as I write this, thousands and thousands of people, maybe even a million people, are sitting in their living rooms right now watching this story for the first time, in the privacy and comfort of their homes. Crying their eyes out, or about to. It warms my heart considerably.

And I love Paul's and Barb's stories! Go, Brokeback Activists, Go!!

Jenny

« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 08:58:44 pm by newyearsday »
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2006, 10:05:39 pm »
Since I am off Mondays, I plotted to use my "breaks" to drive about 30 minutes rt to Best Buy @ 10 am when they open. 

I get to work, and my boss has scheduled 2 meetings for me; 9:30am & 10:00am!!!  I go to her office & said, politiely, "You have messed up my morning."  I explained why, she agreed to reschedule the meetings to 11:00 - 12:00 AND asked me to buy her a copy of Brokeback (she never went to the theater)!  Then I am talking to two married male co-workers who also did not see it in the theater AND both had it on rental order & were hoping it would be there today.  (One Blockbuster & one Netflix). 

So, I was at Best Buy @ 10am (actually 9:56am), bought three movies & got three of the books! YAY!  One for me; one for my boss & one for my son (who rated it 5 out of 5 on Netflix - I took him for his birthday).  Price was $16.99 + tax.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 10:19:35 pm by silkncense »
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2006, 11:50:07 pm »
<snip>I'm going a little bit nuts because Boxoffice mojo isn't tracking BBM during the week anymore, just shows up there like Thursday or something and i want to see it make 83,000,000.00  still!  It's close, like 82,850,000.00 or something. But it's only pulling in like 25,000 a day or less.
I think they keep tallying the gross to include DVD sales.  When EW does their weekly video charts, it looks like that.  I'm surprised EW didn't review it last week, they usually do that before the DVD comes out.

Juan

Offline montferrat

• "hunh?!"
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2006, 12:08:06 am »
Hi Juan!

Thanks.  BBM is still in theaters though and still making money, but Focus has stopped posting daily figures. They'll post weekly or bi weekly figures which BoxOfficeMojo will put up.

"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2006, 12:10:06 am »
Thursday is the last day it's gonna be here in theatres then it's gone for good..unless they re-release it.

Offline montferrat

• "hunh?!"
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2006, 12:18:39 am »
Is that for your area Brandon, or that's it period here in North America?

:'(
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2006, 12:20:15 am »
Oh dang..I just started reading Boxofficemojo just to see how BBM was doing...I guess a major downside of the DVD coming out is the reality that it'll soon be out of theaters altogether.  It's only playing in one theater here in NY, I hope I can see it one more time before I pick up the DVD.

Juan

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2006, 12:21:56 am »
That's here, but I imagine it won't be in any theatres in the US much longer.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 12:34:17 am by EnnisDelMar »

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2006, 03:09:51 am »

Okay, this has nothing to do with buying the dvd - which you STILL can't even do here in Oz (thank god for Malaysian bootlegs however, allowing myself and all your good selves to enjoy the movie on multiple levels.. ;D)

But I was inspired by Barb's story to share a tale from the classroom today.  I was relieving in a grade 7 room while the others were on school camp and we were playing Hangman (as you do).  My nominated category was "movies" - you got no idea how much I wanted to put down spaces for "brokeback mountain" but I settled for "emperors new groove" - kiddies guessed it and chided me for picking, "like, such a like, baby movie, Miss M"  ;D and I said I'd seen plenty of M rated ones but they wouldn't know them cause they're not old enough to have watched them.  They said they'd seen plenty and asked me to name the last one I saw - having watched BBM with Ray last weekend I bravely ventured (but not before the thought of 22 pissed off parents phoning the school asking why I was talking about gay cowboy movies in class) "last weekend I saw Brokeback Mountain".. *wince*

And to my delight - and shock, frankly - most of class went "ohh that movie is AWESOME!!!"  couldn't get over my shock of them actually having seen it to ask any more questions, but I tell ya, there are some cinemas in Brissie with some explaining to do!!!!  How the heck can 11 / 12 / 13 year old kids get in to see this!??!?!?!
Chut up!

Offline montferrat

• "hunh?!"
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2006, 03:28:40 am »
LOL,  Sheyne,

Perhaps some parents have some Malaysian bootlegs lying around as well....
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

rtprod

« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2006, 10:35:02 am »
Check out this weird Wal-Mart tale from the main board--talk about a radical Brokie.  sounds farfetched but guess it could have happened, right?

Posted on IMDB by Fireblade23:

"...so, I went to go buy BBM yesterday at around 5pm or so, I went to the nearest wal-mart, and sadly in my area (very homophobic Alabama .. a.k.a bible belt)
there was a bunch of copies left, I was afriad it was going to be sold out, but unles they restocked it or something, there was stilla bunch..

as I was at the check out, as the cashier was ringing it up, two guys made a comment of "wow, look at that f@ggot, i bet his ass must be sore, he needs to find jesus"..

at that moment i paid for it got the reciept and everything, they made another comment saying "make sure you pay exact change I dont want to touch that f@ggots money"..

at that moment, I imagined that was foxinator, or which ever BBM forum troll was that person, I turned around and swung so fast and hard, I knocked the guy down bad, his nose was bleeding pretty bad, at that moment i yelled at him while he was looking at me with a scared look in his face and i said "how does it feel to get your ass kicked by a f@ggot huh?, oh and by the way! .. I know of god, AND YOUR NOT HIM! so dont judge me because thats not your job! and also im straight you stupid *beep*

his buddy was just looking at me with a "oh sh!t im scared look", and i told him, "now I know you didnt say anything, just laughed at what your biggoted ass friend was saying, but dont be like him, if you really do belive in god, then please stop hating in his name!"

a few people clapped and appluaded, while some other were screaming "call the police!! homo gone wild!"

so I just ran outta there A.S.A.P and drove off, hopefully I wont be in trouble, but if Im gonna have to face consequce for my action, then I shall... but i gotta admit.. IT FELT GOOD and DAN WORTH THE CONSEQUNCE!"

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2006, 02:43:10 pm »
Wow^^^...

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2006, 09:49:40 am »
Sheyne, kids are The Shit, aren't they?

You know, I saw quite a few R-rated movies when I was 13 and 14.  I used to go every Friday night to the cinema next door to the restaurant my parents and their cronies haunted.  My Dad would give me a few bucks and I'd go watch the 7:00 show of whatever was playing after having eaten my dinner at the bar during their cocktail hour.  I was as tall as I am now - 5'7" - then, and I looked older, so no one ever questioned me.  It was usually just another kid in my school selling the tickets, anyway.

It's something, though - as adults we constantly underestimate the children around us.  We don't mean to - it's just human nature.  But when I think of myself at that age, I had it goin' on where sensitivity and compassion were concerned.  Hell, I was bursting with it.  Movies and music and writing were my outlets for all the hormones a-ragin'.

I love Ennis' girls in Brokeback.  I love how they really know all along about their father.  They both take a good long look at Jack when he drives to Riverton after the divorce, and there's not a hint of judgment in their eyes.  Curiosity only.  They must know.  Children always do.

I knew my Dad started having an affair around when I was 15 or 16, and I knew exactly with whom.  It went on for years.  He and my stepmother never said a word about it.  I could just tell by the way my dad looked at and talked to her - she was someone we saw regularly at the sailing club we belonged to and of which he was the Commodore that year.  Years later, I ran into a guy I'd gone to high school with who worked there the summer between senior year and freshman year of college.  He got talking about her - she had worked there, too - and I said, "Let me ask you something.  I already know the answer, but just humor me.  Were she and my Dad having an affair all those years?"  He goes, "I... don't think it's my place to answer that."  I thought, well, you just did.  But I reassured him that I always knew, that there was no love lost between my stepmother and me, and that I was just curious.  Sometimes I wonder if she was the love of my Dad's life.  I like to think it was my mother, who he still talks about.  Do you know - my parents married and divorced each other twice?  Before me and my brothers were born.  Talk about a volatile relationship.

But I digress (and digress and digress).

Back to the original subject - kids are The Shit.  :)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 09:51:45 am by ednbarby »
No more beans!