Author Topic: DVD BUYING: SHARE WEIRD STORIES, NUMBER YOU BOUGHT and FOR WHOM?  (Read 14960 times)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: DVD BUYING: SHARE WEIRD STORIES, NUMBER YOU BOUGHT and FOR WHOM?
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2006, 05:55:52 pm »
I swear you guy are trying to KILL me!

la lal la la - I can't hear you!

Paul - good on you for giving a copy to the library -what a great idea! You rock!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2006, 05:58:48 pm »
Howdy folks,

OK, here's my BBM DVD afternoon.

First I went to Amazon.com and bought my older sister in Kentucky a copy and had it shipped off to her as a surprise. She hasn't seen BBM yet.

Left the house at 2:00 pm and drove into the nearest big town and went to Blockbuster and bought a second copy. They had 2 big ole Narnia displays in the front and no BBM display. However there were a bucnh of copies on the top shelf of the New Release rack.  More Narnia at each register, but no BBM. Anyhow the clerk asked if I'd seen BBM yet, I said yes, and then she went on about how much she loved it. I then said "You guys aren't really promoting the heck out of BBM though..." And she asked what I meant. I said "Well you've got these 2 Narnia displays and no BBM one..." She said "yes, we do!  It's in the back."   ahh..... ::)  good amount seemed missing.

Anyhow, I drove across the road to the local Barnes & Noble and purchased copy #3. I was like, "wow! you guys have it right up front!, not like Blockbuster!" and they were all pleased and everything and were like "Yeah, Blockbuster thinks thier a FAMILY store...blah blah blah...look how liberal we are! blah dee blah..."    ::)  good amount seemed missing.

OK, then I drove around the corner to the local mall and went to Target for copy #4 and noticed that Narnia had a huge display and poor BBM was relegated to the THIRD shelf down on the new release rack. Lots of copies, but had to be sure I got Widescreen. The Audio CD of the book that people were talking about? In my Target it only came with the Fullscreen version. about half the copies were gone.

Then I walked through the mall and bought copy #5 at the FYE record/DVD store. Man they tried selling me batteries, discount cards, fullscreen version, asked if I need the soundtrack...I barely made it out of there alive.

Headed back towards my tiny town as it had started snowing out and stopped near my house at our local non-chain video store and purchased copy #6. IT WAS THE LAST COPY IN MY TOWN!!!!!  I live in a very rural part of Connecticut in a really small town , boy was I shocked. They said they'd gotten a lot of copies for sale too and sold them all in like 4 hours. Like I said, I bought the last one.  I went over to the rentals and saw that they had 31 copies out for rent and there were only 7 left on the shelves. WOW! How cool is that?  That was at like 3:00 pm. So my little rural neighbors are pretty hip I guess!

SO, I then went to the local library , and like a someone else here on this forum, I intended to donate copy #6 to them. I had to ask for directions to the darn place. I've been here 3 years and never saw it. Anyway, I got there and proceeded to get my library card, and then asked if they'd accept a donation of BBM. They nearly fell over with delight!
One librarian was like, didn't that just come out? And I was like, yeah, today!  And she was like "OMG!!!  THANK YOU!"
Then she ran to another librarian and showed her the DVD and they were like BEAMING!  I felt really excellent!

Well, that was my afternoon!

I feel really good about today!

Paul

very cool day, Paul. it was like was on an adventure with you. and the reaction at the library is great. so I'm curious, what are you doing with your 4 remaining copies?
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2006, 05:59:44 pm »
Holy Rand McNally!   You were a busy bee this afternoon!       Good for you Cowboy!

Geez!   I wont be receiving my copy from Amazon.com until the 7th!

Offline montferrat

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "hunh?!"
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2006, 06:01:14 pm »

Bzzzz Bzzzzz Bzzzzz....

Hi Star,

Well I'm keeping 2 copies. One to open and use and one I'll keep wrapped in case of "emergencies" .

1 copy for my mother.

That leaves one more copy, which I may donate to another library here in CT or give to a friend.

"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline Nicole

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Nicole R.
    • MY MySpace Page
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2006, 06:03:04 pm »
Nicole,

Please tell me -- is your big screen TV widescreeen, 16x9 or regular 4:3?

If it is 16x9, we should not see any letterbox at all -- the 1.85 image will fill the screen.

rt

Sorry I didn't get back to you right away, but things got a little hectic here this afternoon.  I know that the big screen tv isn't widescreen - it's kind of a big square.  I don't know what 16x9 or 4:3 means.....um....sorry!  I would say that it's about 55 inches and not rectangular.  Lol -- I hope that wasn't too technical for you.  But my 27 inch tv is square too, so I don't understand why the movie wasn't letterboxed on it.  Hmmmm.....

And Paul- wow!  Quite the afternoon you've had.  A one-man BBM-Awareness team.  Good for you for donating a copy to the library.  I really want to do that but just took my car in to the shop today and was informed that I need a new speed sensor (whatever that is) and it's costing me over $400, so my good deed of donating to the library will have to wait (as will other luxuries such as food and gas for my car, lol).
   Cowboys do it better

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2006, 06:07:49 pm »
Wow Paul thanks for sharing your BBM DVD story, I'll be purchasing mine this weekend when I get paid ;D
..I just got back from Brokeback in the theatre though, I'll really miss seeing it in the theatre.

Offline montferrat

• "hunh?!"
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2006, 06:12:06 pm »
Hey Brandon,

How was it today in the theater?  Were you the only one there? I'm going a little bit nuts because Boxoffice mojo isn't tracking BBM during the week anymore, just shows up there like Thursday or something and i want to see it make 83,000,000.00  still!  It's close, like 82,850,000.00 or something. But it's only pulling in like 25,000 a day or less.
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2006, 06:19:11 pm »
There was me and 6 other women lol I felt a little out of place, but I sat up front and they were in the back. I heard one of the ladies saying she'd already seen it and that it's really sad, then another lady asked "really? Two guys gettin together sad?" and then she's like "yeah" then the lady asked if it was a chick flick and she goes "Oh yeah" ( I was about to say "THIS IS NOT A CHICK FLICK!!" but didn't lol). Then she goes "A lot of women aren't gonna let their husbands go fishing anymore" which I laughed to myself at. They were mostly quiet during the movie, whispering here and there, then there was some blowing of noses and sniffling. All and all a good viewing.

Offline montferrat

• "hunh?!"
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2006, 06:48:58 pm »
LOL.  I'm glad it was a good viewing Brandon!

Yeah, I suspect a lot of women whether they admit it or not, will think a little bit when their man says he's goin' fishin' for the weekend with Joe.

:)

"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2006, 07:42:42 pm »
LOL.  I'm glad it was a good viewing Brandon!

Yeah, I suspect a lot of women whether they admit it or not, will think a little bit when their man says he's goin' fishin' for the weekend with Joe.

I'll tell ya what - I have some neighbors - she's a Fundamentalist Christian and he's a Jew - born in Israel.  Practicing, but not devout.  Not that that matters - just giving you the background on the extent of what I know about them.  Anyway, about six months ago she mentions to me these "fishing" trips he likes to take several times a year with "his best buddy" in Costa Rica.  I remember distinctly the time she mentioned it - it was to my husband and I at a block party/barbeque, and when she turned her back, we exchanged knowing glances, as in yeah... RIGHT.  The first time I saw the movie was with my husband, and when Ennis says to Alma, "Jack's an old fishing buddy," we just looked right at each other in the theater and mouthed "David!"  And I know we weren't even saying that as in it's a gay affair (wouldn't matter one way or the other if it was to us), but just that that was when we knew for sure.

Getting back to the Fundamentalist Christian thing, I reckon this is one movie his wife will never see, so his secret's safe for the time being.

And Paul, what a great day it sounds like you had!  I went after work and bought yet another copy at Best Buy (and got the Story to Screenplay book for free with it, too).  I now have four copies.  I plan to donate at least one to one library in town, and possibly another one to the other one.  Then I'll have my two copies - one for always having on hand and one for lending out.  It's all good.
No more beans!