Author Topic: DVD BUYING: SHARE WEIRD STORIES, NUMBER YOU BOUGHT and FOR WHOM?  (Read 14963 times)

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
Re: DVD BUYING: SHARE WEIRD STORIES, NUMBER YOU BOUGHT and FOR WHOM?
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2006, 12:20:15 am »
Oh dang..I just started reading Boxofficemojo just to see how BBM was doing...I guess a major downside of the DVD coming out is the reality that it'll soon be out of theaters altogether.  It's only playing in one theater here in NY, I hope I can see it one more time before I pick up the DVD.

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2006, 12:21:56 am »
That's here, but I imagine it won't be in any theatres in the US much longer.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 12:34:17 am by EnnisDelMar »

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2006, 03:09:51 am »

Okay, this has nothing to do with buying the dvd - which you STILL can't even do here in Oz (thank god for Malaysian bootlegs however, allowing myself and all your good selves to enjoy the movie on multiple levels.. ;D)

But I was inspired by Barb's story to share a tale from the classroom today.  I was relieving in a grade 7 room while the others were on school camp and we were playing Hangman (as you do).  My nominated category was "movies" - you got no idea how much I wanted to put down spaces for "brokeback mountain" but I settled for "emperors new groove" - kiddies guessed it and chided me for picking, "like, such a like, baby movie, Miss M"  ;D and I said I'd seen plenty of M rated ones but they wouldn't know them cause they're not old enough to have watched them.  They said they'd seen plenty and asked me to name the last one I saw - having watched BBM with Ray last weekend I bravely ventured (but not before the thought of 22 pissed off parents phoning the school asking why I was talking about gay cowboy movies in class) "last weekend I saw Brokeback Mountain".. *wince*

And to my delight - and shock, frankly - most of class went "ohh that movie is AWESOME!!!"  couldn't get over my shock of them actually having seen it to ask any more questions, but I tell ya, there are some cinemas in Brissie with some explaining to do!!!!  How the heck can 11 / 12 / 13 year old kids get in to see this!??!?!?!
Chut up!

Offline montferrat

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "hunh?!"
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2006, 03:28:40 am »
LOL,  Sheyne,

Perhaps some parents have some Malaysian bootlegs lying around as well....
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

rtprod

« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2006, 10:35:02 am »
Check out this weird Wal-Mart tale from the main board--talk about a radical Brokie.  sounds farfetched but guess it could have happened, right?

Posted on IMDB by Fireblade23:

"...so, I went to go buy BBM yesterday at around 5pm or so, I went to the nearest wal-mart, and sadly in my area (very homophobic Alabama .. a.k.a bible belt)
there was a bunch of copies left, I was afriad it was going to be sold out, but unles they restocked it or something, there was stilla bunch..

as I was at the check out, as the cashier was ringing it up, two guys made a comment of "wow, look at that f@ggot, i bet his ass must be sore, he needs to find jesus"..

at that moment i paid for it got the reciept and everything, they made another comment saying "make sure you pay exact change I dont want to touch that f@ggots money"..

at that moment, I imagined that was foxinator, or which ever BBM forum troll was that person, I turned around and swung so fast and hard, I knocked the guy down bad, his nose was bleeding pretty bad, at that moment i yelled at him while he was looking at me with a scared look in his face and i said "how does it feel to get your ass kicked by a f@ggot huh?, oh and by the way! .. I know of god, AND YOUR NOT HIM! so dont judge me because thats not your job! and also im straight you stupid *beep*

his buddy was just looking at me with a "oh sh!t im scared look", and i told him, "now I know you didnt say anything, just laughed at what your biggoted ass friend was saying, but dont be like him, if you really do belive in god, then please stop hating in his name!"

a few people clapped and appluaded, while some other were screaming "call the police!! homo gone wild!"

so I just ran outta there A.S.A.P and drove off, hopefully I wont be in trouble, but if Im gonna have to face consequce for my action, then I shall... but i gotta admit.. IT FELT GOOD and DAN WORTH THE CONSEQUNCE!"

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2006, 02:43:10 pm »
Wow^^^...

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2006, 09:49:40 am »
Sheyne, kids are The Shit, aren't they?

You know, I saw quite a few R-rated movies when I was 13 and 14.  I used to go every Friday night to the cinema next door to the restaurant my parents and their cronies haunted.  My Dad would give me a few bucks and I'd go watch the 7:00 show of whatever was playing after having eaten my dinner at the bar during their cocktail hour.  I was as tall as I am now - 5'7" - then, and I looked older, so no one ever questioned me.  It was usually just another kid in my school selling the tickets, anyway.

It's something, though - as adults we constantly underestimate the children around us.  We don't mean to - it's just human nature.  But when I think of myself at that age, I had it goin' on where sensitivity and compassion were concerned.  Hell, I was bursting with it.  Movies and music and writing were my outlets for all the hormones a-ragin'.

I love Ennis' girls in Brokeback.  I love how they really know all along about their father.  They both take a good long look at Jack when he drives to Riverton after the divorce, and there's not a hint of judgment in their eyes.  Curiosity only.  They must know.  Children always do.

I knew my Dad started having an affair around when I was 15 or 16, and I knew exactly with whom.  It went on for years.  He and my stepmother never said a word about it.  I could just tell by the way my dad looked at and talked to her - she was someone we saw regularly at the sailing club we belonged to and of which he was the Commodore that year.  Years later, I ran into a guy I'd gone to high school with who worked there the summer between senior year and freshman year of college.  He got talking about her - she had worked there, too - and I said, "Let me ask you something.  I already know the answer, but just humor me.  Were she and my Dad having an affair all those years?"  He goes, "I... don't think it's my place to answer that."  I thought, well, you just did.  But I reassured him that I always knew, that there was no love lost between my stepmother and me, and that I was just curious.  Sometimes I wonder if she was the love of my Dad's life.  I like to think it was my mother, who he still talks about.  Do you know - my parents married and divorced each other twice?  Before me and my brothers were born.  Talk about a volatile relationship.

But I digress (and digress and digress).

Back to the original subject - kids are The Shit.  :)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 09:51:45 am by ednbarby »
No more beans!