Author Topic: The Latest From The Onion  (Read 15006 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: FOX posts bogus Japan map; Asian version of "The Onion" at work?
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 10:11:08 am »
The author of the piece noted that both FOX and Rachel Maddow had been taken in by a Pakistani version of The Onion, and this might be from the same source. (When I first saw the map, I thought the name looked like "Sheboygan.")

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: The Latest From The Onion
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 11:22:28 am »
FOX NEWS:  Fair, balanced, gullible!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Marge_Innavera

From The Onion: Microsoft's New "Advanced Word" Alert
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 05:21:29 pm »
Microsoft Word Now Includes Squiggly Blue Line To Alert Writer When Word Is Too Advanced For Mainstream Audience

http://www.theonion.com/articles/microsoft-word-now-includes-squiggly-blue-line-to,19739/

Marge_Innavera

From The Onion: Rep. King's "Muslim Hearings"
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 05:23:44 pm »
Last week, Rep. Peter King (R-NY) held a controversial hearing entitled "The Extent of Radicalization in the American Muslim Community and that Community's Response." Here's some of the information that came out of testimonies given there:

* Almost 97 percent of Muslims are so un-American they can't eloquently summarize Federalist Paper No. 51 and James Madison's argument for checks and balances

* That delicious spice in their food? That's sumac; man, it's so good

* When Muslims scratch their bearded chins and look up, they're most likely thinking of new ways to blow up something

* There is a massive international Muslim conspiracy to subvert all democracies everywhere, a fact its members were obligated to disclose because they were under oath

* Unfortunately, not one witness knows Cat Stevens personally

* Muslims always back their cars into parking spaces, even though it doesn't really save any time in the long run

* They're pretty much the only thing keeping Dearborn, MI's economy afloat

* Muslims can vote, and they probably won't be casting ballots for the party that hauled them before Congress because of their religion

http://www.theonion.com/articles/representative-kings-muslim-hearings,19730/?utm_medium=promobar&utm_campaign=recirculation

Marge_Innavera

from the Onion: same-sex marriage destroys Davenport
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 09:50:57 am »
Town Of Davenport, Iowa Descends Into Hell Following Gay Marriage Ceremony
March 12, 2011

FORMER DAVENPORT, IA—Immediately following the performance of a same-sex marriage ceremony Sunday afternoon at Holy Christ Almighty Lutheran Church on Lincoln Avenue, the city of Davenport, IA and all 99,685 of its residents were reportedly smitten into oblivion by the merciless wrath of God and flung into the deepest bowels of eternal hell.

According to state authorities, the nightmarish incident occurred approximately five seconds after a local pastor pronounced homosexual men Brian Palmer, 39, and Greg DeHaan, 43, married in the eyes of God .  .  .  . Davenport's inhabitants were swallowed by a widening chasm, where they found themselves eviscerated on the fiery spears of 10 million shrieking demons.  "They tried to warn us and we didn't listen—Lord, why did we not listen?" said Rev. Kenneth Hanson, the clergyman who performed the unholy marriage, moments before being dragged into a bottomless pit, flayed alive, and devoured by Satan, the Great Deceiver. "All I wanted to do was provide basic civil rights and legal recognition to Brian and Greg, two people who love each other and have been together for 15 years. But I was wrong. Oh, so wrong!"

"Children of God throughout the nation!" Hanson cried out as he plummeted into the infernal void. "Do not make the same mistake we here in Iowa have made! Save yourselves before it is too late!"

*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         

Following the immolation of Davenport, LGBT communities across the country immediately issued statements acknowledging their culpability for the catastrophe, admitting that homosexuality was a sinful lifestyle deserving of wrathful punishment. In surveys, 100 percent of homosexuals polled said that, given the clear evidence of God's Will shown by the tragic events, the best course of action would be to abandon the notion of gay rights altogether and beg the Lord's forgiveness.

"I thought antigay activism was cruel and bigoted before, but now I can see that, yes, my sexual orientation is truly an abomination in the Eyes of God," said lesbian activist and organizer Professor Julia Cafritz of Houston, responding to early reports of God's actions in the Midwest. "My very existence is an affront to all that is good and true in this country. I'm sorry, America. I'm so, so terribly sorry."

At press time, officials said the overall strength of the traditional American family had increased by 47 percent following the eternal damnation of Davenport, while pure, hardworking Christians everywhere would continue to be assured a place in heaven.

full story, including picture, at http://www.theonion.com/articles/town-of-davenport-iowa-descends-into-hell-followin,19446/

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2011, 09:58:56 am »
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Marge_Innavera

Stop Schweddy Balls !
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 09:16:18 am »
Actually this didn't run in The Onion; the "issue" became Onionesque before they could get to it: 

Stop 'Schweddy Balls' Effort Begins

Saying that "the vulgar new flavor has turned something as innocent as ice cream into something repulsive," the conservative group One Million Moms is calling on Ben & Jerry's to stop making "Schweddy Balls."

One Million Moms wants its members to e-mail Ben & Jerry's "requesting that no additional Schweddy Balls ice cream be distributed." And it wants members to threaten a boycott if the company doesn't do what they want.  As Eyder wrote earlier this month, Schweddy Balls (the ice cream) was inspired by a Saturday Night Live skit in which actor Alec Baldwin "plays Pete Schweddy, a guest on a fake NPR show called Delicious Dish. Pete makes holiday treats like cheese balls, popcorn balls, rum balls and his famous Schweddy balls. The skit is an exercise in double entendres."

We've contacted Ben & Jerry's spokesman Sean Greenwood to see if the company has any comment. It certainly hasn't changed its mind about Schweddy Balls since the One Million Moms call-for-action went out: Ben & Jerry's website is prominently promoting Schweddy Balls, and Greenwood's voicemail message is as well.

Update at 12:15 p.m. ET: Ben & Jerry's spokesman Greenwood tells us the company has gotten "500 to 600 emails and communications ... especially over the last 24 hours," and that "90 percent were saying 'keep doing what you're doing.'

"Having a sense of humor is one the things we do," he added. " 'Schweddy Balls' wasn't named for shock value. It was named after a popular Saturday Night skit."  As for the flavor's future, Greenwood said it has been "absolutely crazy popular" and will continue to be produced and sold, as planned, through the holidays.

By the way, Baldwin hosts Saturday Night Live again this week. Perhaps Schweddy will be make another appearance?

http://media.npr.org/assets/img/2011/09/21/newest_flavor_sept_2011_custom.jpg?t=1316611947&s=15

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
Re: Stop Schweddy Balls !
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2011, 11:12:08 am »
Actually this didn't run in The Onion; the "issue" became Onionesque before they could get to it:  

Stop 'Schweddy Balls' Effort Begins

Saying that "the vulgar new flavor has turned something as innocent as ice cream into something repulsive," the conservative group One Million Moms is calling on Ben & Jerry's to stop making "Schweddy Balls."

One Million Moms wants its members to e-mail Ben & Jerry's "requesting that no additional Schweddy Balls ice cream be distributed." And it wants members to threaten a boycott if the company doesn't do what they want.  As Eyder wrote earlier this month, Schweddy Balls (the ice cream) was inspired by a Saturday Night Live skit in which actor Alec Baldwin "plays Pete Schweddy, a guest on a fake NPR show called Delicious Dish. Pete makes holiday treats like cheese balls, popcorn balls, rum balls and his famous Schweddy balls. The skit is an exercise in double entendres."

We've contacted Ben & Jerry's spokesman Sean Greenwood to see if the company has any comment. It certainly hasn't changed its mind about Schweddy Balls since the One Million Moms call-for-action went out: Ben & Jerry's website is prominently promoting Schweddy Balls, and Greenwood's voicemail message is as well.

Update at 12:15 p.m. ET: Ben & Jerry's spokesman Greenwood tells us the company has gotten "500 to 600 emails and communications ... especially over the last 24 hours," and that "90 percent were saying 'keep doing what you're doing.'

"Having a sense of humor is one the things we do," he added. " 'Schweddy Balls' wasn't named for shock value. It was named after a popular Saturday Night skit."  As for the flavor's future, Greenwood said it has been "absolutely crazy popular" and will continue to be produced and sold, as planned, through the holidays.

By the way, Baldwin hosts Saturday Night Live again this week. Perhaps Schweddy will be make another appearance?

http://media.npr.org/assets/img/2011/09/21/newest_flavor_sept_2011_custom.jpg?t=1316611947&s=15

Your post made me google, since I've never heard of the SNL skit.
Now I want some Schweddy Balls for Christmas! :laugh:

Sadly, this new is not from the Onion, even though it is very onionesque, as you correctly stated.
Made me google some more. It's hard to believe the above is actually true. At least something good came from it; I now know about Schweddy Balls. ;D

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2011, 10:25:40 pm »
I just love those Sweaty (Schweddy) Balls!  ;D

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2011, 12:24:30 pm »
Forget hybrids and electric cars -- this one is just perfect for our country at present.  Click on the image to hear all about it: