Author Topic: A look at the American woman  (Read 27111 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
A look at the American woman
« on: March 02, 2011, 12:25:52 am »
Education is up, but salary gaps remain because men are still not picking up the slack in childcare and spend more time on leisure leaving the working woman to do the lion's share of domestic work.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110301/us_yblog_thelookout/5-graphs-about-american-women

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: A look at the American woman
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 10:03:56 am »
I understand this is Women's History Month. If we have a thread for this, I can't seem to locate it, so I'll post a link about a very particular American woman here:

Sarah Josepha Hale (1788-1879)

Sarah Josepha Hale was editor of the tremendously influential magazine Godey's Ladies' Book for 40 years. After advocating through several administrations, she finally convinced Abraham Lincoln to create a National Thanksgiving Day (right in the middle of the Civil War).

She also wrote "Mary Had a Little Lamb," which was first thing Thomas Edison recorded in his brand-new invention the phonograph.

I mention Sarah Josepha Hale now because yesterday I noticed a state historical market that indicated that she lived about four blocks from where I live now. (She must have moved, as the location of her death is given about two blocks from my place.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Josepha_Hale
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 05:10:15 pm »
This is wonderful, friend! I hope to hear more about these amazing women from you, and thank you!!  :-*
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 01:24:11 pm »
Good idea, Jeff!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 07:24:01 pm »
Here's another remarkable American woman of the 19th century, Julia Ward Howe.

She's probably best known now for having written "The Battle Hymn of the Republic," but she was also an abolitionist. a social reformer, and a women's suffragist.

Her husband, Samuel Gridley Howe, founded the Perkins School for the Blind, whose most famous alumna was another remarkable woman, Anne Sullivan, the teacher of Helen Keller (who was pretty remarkable herself).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julia_Ward_Howe
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 10:10:36 pm by Jeff Wrangler »
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2021, 10:13:37 am »
Katherine Lee Bates (1859-1929).

Bates was a good Yankee, born and raised in Falmouth, Massachusetts, on Cape Cod. She became a professor at Wellesley.

She spent the summer of 1893 teaching in Colorado Springs. She and some friends made a trip to the summit of Pike's Peak. The view from the mountaintop inspired her to write "America the Beautiful."

The most important person in her life seems to have been another Wellesley professor, Katharine Coman. Scholars are uncertain of the nature of their relationship, although they lived together. This is discussed in the Wikipedia article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katharine_Lee_Bates

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2021, 04:22:11 pm »

She's probably best known now for having written "The Battle Hymn of the Republic," but she was also an abolitionist. a social reformer, and a women's suffragist.

Her husband, Samuel Gridley Howe, found the Perkins School for the Blind, whose most famous alumna was another remarkable woman, Anne Sullivan, the teacher of Helen Keller (who was pretty remarkable herself).

Where did he find the Perkins School for the Blind?  ;D

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 05:05:44 pm »

Where did he find the Perkins School for the Blind?  ;D

I think it was under the bed with the dust bunnies. ...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2021, 07:14:31 pm »

Her husband, Samuel Gridley Howe, found the Perkins School for the Blind, whose most famous alumna was another remarkable woman, Anne Sullivan, the teacher of Helen Keller (who was pretty remarkable herself).

Wow, a hat trick!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2021, 04:06:56 pm »
I think it was under the bed with the dust bunnies. ...

;D

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre