Author Topic: Piercings...?  (Read 35227 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Piercings...?
« on: March 06, 2011, 11:22:41 pm »
I'm not sure, but we may have talked about this before, perhaps in the tattoo thread?

In any event, a Facebook post of mine raised this subject lately.  I've been working on my jewelry-making (An intro class was my Christmas gift and I'm loving it!), and I mentioned that getting my ears pierced when I was 12 was a rite-of-passage for me.  Mom built it up in my mind, by denying me for several years leading up to the 'big event'.  Then we went to the mall to do the deed for my birthday - I got the 'diamond' stainless steel studs - my birthstone.

I went to some frat parties the summer before my freshman year, took the temperature of the crowd, and added another piercing to each ear.  (Mom about had a cow over that one, though.)

Now I'm asymmetric with three in my left ear (a fourth grew up - didn't like it) and two in my right.  And one more, which is another story entirely, though I can say that I debated so long that it's no longer either fashionable or attractive for me.  C'est la vie.

So...long story...but when I asked about ear piercings on FB a woman I know from Meeting said her mother was opposed to it - saw it as 'bad' as tattoos and she doesn't have her ears pierced to this day.  Upon reflection, this probably makes sense theologically, because many Quakers still espouse some form of 'plain dress' and certainly over-the-top jewelry wouldn't be consistent with that philosophy.

Not that I personally agree think one cannot wear some jewelry in a tasteful manner.

What do y'all think??  I'd love to hear your stories too if you care to comment or had a similar coming-of-age thing like I did.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
Re: Piercings...?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 11:25:11 pm »
(PS - If you don't have pierced ears, do you ever wear clip-ons?  I tried some of those before I was 'allowed' to have my ears pierced, and can I just say - "Ow!!"?!)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 11:55:09 pm »
I agree about the clip-on earrings being much more painful than pierced earrings. I've very occasionally worn clip-ons when I've wanted to wear really large/heavy earrings (mainly in high school).  My grandmother was entirely opposed to pierced ears (or anything)... but I think she kind of tortured herself by wearing heavy, clip-on earrings every day.  *Shudders*  

I got my ears pierced for the first time when I was 9.  I remember my Mom picked me up from orchestra practice and out of the blue asked me if I wanted to get my ears pierced.  I remember being so surprised... and of course I said yes.  She said later that she kind of sprung it on me so that I wouldn't have time to get nervous about it.  I remember I was a bit scared of the procedure, but my excitement about it outweighed that.

Then, in grad school I got them pierced a second time.  So, I have two in each ear.  There was a time I really wanted more.  I wanted to get a little ring for the top of my ear.  I still love the way that looks.  But, ultimately, I was too afraid of getting a piercing through cartilage.

The kinds of piercing that I really don't like are lip piercings, eyebrow rings and those really extended large piercings people sometimes get in their ears.  But, in general, I kind of like piercings better than tattoos.  And, it's so much easier to get rid of a piercing if you don't want it anymore.

I've had friends with all manner of crazy piercings.  My best friend in high school had her tongue pierced our senior year.  And, in college and grad school I knew tons of people with tongue piercings, other random facial piercings and body piercings (lots of belly button rings... and I knew one woman who had a genital piercing... she said it was a mistake.  Interestingly, I don't think I've ever known anyone with nipple piercings... at least not to my knowledge).  I even have a male friend from grad school who has his belly button pierced.  He had it done when he was in high school and then let it close up in college.  Then in grad school he wanted to have it again, so I remember going with him when he got it re-done on South Street in Philly (where there are tons of famous tattoo shops and piercing parlors).

There is something strangely fascinating about talking about things like piercings and tattoos.  
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 12:07:54 am »
I agree about the clip-on earrings being much more painful than pierced earrings. I've very occasionally worn clip-ons when I've wanted to wear really large/heavy earrings (mainly in high school).  My grandmother was entirely opposed to pierced ears (or anything)... but I think she kind of tortured herself by wearing heavy, clip-on earrings every day.  *Shudders*  

I got my ears pierced for the first time when I was 9.  I remember my Mom picked me up from orchestra practice and out of the blue asked me if I wanted to get my ears pierced.  I remember being so surprised... and of course I said yes.  She said later that she kind of sprung it on me so that I wouldn't have time to get nervous about it.  I remember I was a bit scared of the procedure, but my excitement about it outweighed that.

Then, in grad school I got them pierced a second time.  So, I have two in each ear.  There was a time I really wanted more.  I wanted to get a little ring for the top of my ear.  I still love the way that looks.  But, ultimately, I was too afraid of getting a piercing through cartilage.

The kinds of piercing that I really don't like are lip piercings, eyebrow rings and those really extended large piercings people sometimes get in their ears.  But, in general, I kind of like piercings better than tattoos.  And, it's so much easier to get rid of a piercing if you don't want it anymore.

I've had friends with all manner of crazy piercings.  My best friend in high school had her tongue pierced our senior year.  And, in college and grad school I knew tons of people with tongue piercings, other random facial piercings and body piercings (lots of belly button rings... and I knew one woman who had a genital piercing... she said it was a mistake.  Interestingly, I don't think I've ever known anyone with nipple piercings... at least not to my knowledge).  I even have a male friend from grad school who has his belly button pierced.  He had it done when he was in high school and then let it close up in college.  Then in grad school he wanted to have it again, so I remember going with him when he got it re-done on South Street in Philly (where there are tons of famous tattoo shops and piercing parlors).

There is something strangely fascinating about talking about things like piercings and tattoos.

Thanks for the reply, A.  I think it's neat that your mom surprised you with that one.   :)

The small ring at the top of the ear in the cartilage is the one that I didn't like and have let close.  I didn't think it suited me.

Navel piercings were ultra-popular when I was actively playing soccer among the women on my team - I thought they looked really great.

As for nipple piercings - I have known a few people who have them - male and female - not something I think I would consider, but they seem very happy with them, particularly from an erotic perspective.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 06:05:51 am »
I have a thing for piercings, but don't have any body or facial piercings myself. They weren't available when I was a late teen/in my early twenties. You bet I would have gotten some had I known about it.

I have five piercings in my earlobes, exactly the same way Lynne has; three in my left earlobe, two in my right.
I had to beg my mother for years to get the first two. She never allowed it (found it pure idiocy), but finally said I could have two after my confirmation, which is regarded a rite of passage here. I was fourteen then.

I wanted to have more ear piercings badly but of course wasn't allowed. Since I couldn't get it done by a regular piercer (they ask for parents' permit) I had a friend of mine pierce my left earlobe. We used a simple sewing needle which we layed in alcohol and heated with a lighter for sterilization. Didn't work though and it got infected very badly. I had to take it out after a couple of days.

As soon as I was 18 I went and got me a second piercing in my left earlobe. I always wanted it to be asymmetric. Few years later got two more. I wanted to have my leaft ear pierced all the way up to the top, with many piercings, but the third hole already made problems with healing. I was told that they heal worse and hurt more the further up you go.
Don't know if it's true, but that kept me from getting more piercings in my ear.

Years later facial and body piercings became en vogue. I would like to have an eyebrow piercing, but meanwhile I feel too old for that. I wouldn't want to give the impression of chumming up with my teenage kids. People in their forties trying too hard to be cool, trendy and youthful are simply ick.
And don't get me even started on moms doing the false "We're BFF" pose with her teenage kids ::) :P.
But that's a whole other topic. :laugh:

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 06:19:23 am »
I have always had a thing for tattoos, but never for piercings in other places than my earlobes (got one in each that I got in my teens - and you´re right, Chrissie, it was kinda of a rite of passage). I think I at some point considered piercing the top of my ear but never did for some reason I can´t remember.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 08:01:28 am »
I only have one piercing, my left ear.

I got it there because the word around school was that if you got it in your right ear, it meant you were gay.  ::) :laugh:

I'm not a fan of face piercings, specifically around the mouth.

I won't pierce anywhere else on me, just looks sooooo painful!  I've seen guys with Prince Alberts, and all I can think of is that when they piss they must make a complete mess in the bathroom.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 11:49:22 am »

Yeah, I think there is still the convention that the right ear is associated with being gay.  I think of it as a sign or signal to others in the community.  Often I'll wear a black triangle in my right ear if I feel the urge to help others along with their "gaydar".
 ;D
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 11:54:47 am »
...I have five piercings in my earlobes, exactly the same way Lynne has; three in my left earlobe, two in my right...

Cool to know that we set the trend - we had to be ahead of Buffy/Sarah Michelle.

;D

I only have one piercing, my left ear.

I got it there because the word around school was that if you got it in your right ear, it meant you were gay.  ::) :laugh:

I'm not a fan of face piercings, specifically around the mouth.

I won't pierce anywhere else on me, just looks sooooo painful!  I've seen guys with Prince Alberts, and all I can think of is that when they piss they must make a complete mess in the bathroom.

That right ear was the story in my high school as well - now I see the younger generation of men with two hoops - one in each ear - pirate style, and I think it looks really good for the most part.

And thanks so much, Chuckie, for sharing about the Prince Alberts...I love the visuals I can get from no one else but you.   ;D ;) :-*
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 12:20:40 pm »
And thanks so much, Chuckie, for sharing about the Prince Alberts...I love the visuals I can get from no one else but you.   ;D ;) :-*

anytime.

and regarding Prince Alberts.   Really?  I mean, some guys have a hard enough time hitting the toilet, why add a piercing that will only make it require more skill?

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!