Author Topic: What Is The Most Disgusting Thing You've Ever Ate?  (Read 117136 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
What Is The Most Disgusting Thing You've Ever Ate?
« on: March 10, 2011, 12:59:38 am »
Have we done this before? If so, I couldn't find it. :-\

Another question - what is your least favorite food?

Okay, here I go... I remember my Mom making something called "Hawaiian Vegetables" once when I was 12 or 13 years old. She pour two or three cans of mixed vegetables into a bowl (carrots, peas, lima beans, corn, etc) and she poured maple syrup over it and put it in the refrigerator and chilled it. The mixed vegetables were basically "candied". The syrup had formed a crust on the vegetables and it was totally disgusting. I couldn't get it down and I remember Mom getting very angry with me because it was triggering my gag reflex! :laugh: :P :P

My least favorite food is probably fish. Although I do like scallops, clams, oysters, lobster, shrimp, etc.... just as long as it is NOT a fish!

I'm not a big fan of lamb either. Especially when they put that mint jelly on it! Yucky! :P :P
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: What Is The Most Disgusting Thing You've Ever Ate?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 07:44:30 am »
A couple of times I've eaten a portion of toast or pnut butter sandwich before noticiing MOLD on the bread. Then I feel like I've probably ingested some of it and it makes me woozy. I feel disgusted for quite a while afterward.
 :-X :P
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 08:42:36 am »
chicken feet in the Dominican Republic - they serve them like French fries.  Yuk.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 09:39:14 am »
I can't eat broccoli.  Literally.  It makes me gag.  Smells exactly like rotting garbage, and the few times I've attempted to taste it, it tastes like I'd imagine rotting garbage would taste.

Inevitably, I've been given suggestions that it would be better with cheese on it.  Oh yeah -- like fresh dog poop or the fly-infested contents of some Dumpster would be tasty with just a sprinkling of grated Cheddar.   :laugh:

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 10:42:52 am »
It would have to be jello.

Or the deep fried pickles at that place in Cheyenne, but at least they became palatable after you applied lots of beer.  ::)
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 11:29:22 am »
Brussels sprouts are disgusting.
I also had the mold on bread experience (doesn't everybody? ;)) - yuck!

But the most disgusting thing I ever ate was liver. Ex boyfriend was sooo proud of his recipe, went grocery shopping and cooked a full meal only for me. I knew it was liver, but since it looked like a regular Schnitzel, I tried it nonchalantly. Worst taste ever!

Close second is kidney. I was so stupid to order steak and kidney pie in England, thinking of kidney beans! The first few bites were ok, I wondered briefly were the beans were, and then had a mouthful of kidney. :P :laugh:

Most disgusting thing I ever had served to me was a rabbit brain served inside the upside down skull. The ears were used to prep the skull and keep it from rolling on the plate. I didn't eat it.. But I ate from the rest; the skull didn't come alone, it was considered to be the icing on the rabbit meat, so to speak. The whole thing was a very bony experience.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 11:42:09 am »
I can't think of anything that was really disgusting that I've been offered to eat.

:laugh:

I think the closest I've come to that was getting steak fries at a diner, and I put a fry into my mouth that wasn't cooked properly, and it had a very heavy "dirty potato" taste to it.

It almost made me gag.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 11:43:10 am »
Brussels sprouts are disgusting.

A German who doesn't like something in the cabbage family?  :o

The world is surely coming to an end. ...  ;D

;)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 11:48:09 am »
The most disgusting thing I've ever had is surströmming

From Wiki:
Surströmming (pronounced [sʉ̌ːʂtrømːiŋ], "soured (Baltic) herring"), known colloquially as Scandinavian rotten fish, is a northern Swedish dish consisting of fermented Baltic herring. Surströmming  is sold in cans, which often bulge during shipping and storage, due to the continued fermentation. When opened, the contents release a strong and sometimes overwhelming odour, which explains why the dish is often eaten outdoors. A Japanese study has shown that the smell of a newly opened can of surströmming is the most putrid smell of food in the world, beating similar fermented fish dishes such as the Korean Hongeohoe or Japanese Kusaya.[1]

It's an tradition to surströmming in northern Sweden and when I worked there for a period of time, I was invited to a surströmming feast. I force fed myself a couple of bites, just to be polite and all.

the first pic shows surströmming in the can and the second pic how it's usually served: on bread with onion and potato.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 12:47:33 pm »
The most disgusting thing I've ever had is surströmming

From Wiki:
Surströmming (pronounced [sʉ̌ːʂtrømːiŋ], "soured (Baltic) herring"), known colloquially as Scandinavian rotten fish, is a northern Swedish dish consisting of fermented Baltic herring. Surströmming  is sold in cans, which often bulge during shipping and storage, due to the continued fermentation. When opened, the contents release a strong and sometimes overwhelming odour, which explains why the dish is often eaten outdoors. A Japanese study has shown that the smell of a newly opened can of surströmming is the most putrid smell of food in the world, beating similar fermented fish dishes such as the Korean Hongeohoe or Japanese Kusaya.[1]

It's an tradition to surströmming in northern Sweden and when I worked there for a period of time, I was invited to a surströmming feast. I force fed myself a couple of bites, just to be polite and all.

the first pic shows surströmming in the can and the second pic how it's usually served: on bread with onion and potato.

I'll take the rabbit brain instead. :laugh:

They look pretty harmless, but the thought of rotten fish and the desciption of the smell - uh, thanks no.