Author Topic: What Is The Most Disgusting Thing You've Ever Ate?  (Read 117102 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: What Is The Most Disgusting Thing You've Ever Ate?
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2011, 08:19:11 am »
I admit to my part in that, but it needs to be on the record that it was Paulie's idea!!  He was very upset he couldn't be off work to show you and Sophy around, so I was given pretty strict instructions about what to do with the two of you.

:laugh: :laugh:

Yes, let´s blame Paul for our near death experience!

;D

Gee, such drama.   ::)  I happen to love the sweet/salty bivalves.  I've eaten them raw for years, and I'm not dead yet! 

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2011, 08:21:13 am »

Another mint-hater (well hate is a too strong word, but in lack of a better one...)!
I really, really dislike mint and thus all toothpaste. I have a brand that is low on mint and I never use anything else since I was a kid. When I absolutely have to (forgot to take mine), it makes me literally gag when brushing my teeth.

Re lamb: you'll have to try lamb when you're in Germany. No mint whatsoever, the lamb/mint combo is not common here. :)

Thanks for the solidarity, Chrissi!  As for toothpaste, here you can get not only wintergreen, but also cinnamon and even ginger-flavored toothpaste.  Maybe you could try some and stock up when you come this summer!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2011, 10:03:59 am »
Gee, such drama.   ::)  I happen to love the sweet/salty bivalves.  I've eaten them raw for years, and I'm not dead yet! 

Too funny! You can't abide mint but you love raw oysters.  :P  :laugh:

Mint can be overdone (so can garlic), like the excessive amounts my grandmother used to make iced tea, but a little bit of mint in water can be very refreshing in the summer.

The relationship to aspirin no doubt explains why the old-timers used oil of wintergreen for toothache.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2011, 10:38:07 am »
- Whenever I'm in a seafood restaurant, I ask which fish comes whole. I want the entire animal--head and tail included. People have gotten up and gone to the bathroom when I go after the eyes.
- Rattlesnake
- Alligator
- Frog legs
- Pan-seared kidneys with sautéed onions and green peppers over rice is one of my favorites. Same goes for chicken livers.
- Chicken gizzards
- Mountain oysters. Not bad, not great.
- Haggis

Milo, I'm listening to Annie Proulx's Bird Cloud and there is a funny anecdote about fish eyes! I've eaten all the above things you mention. Luigi and I had a ratlesnake appetizer when he came to D.enver one time. There are frog's legs in my freezer right now. Chicken livers are divine the way they prepare them in Italy. I definitely prefer my mountain oysters on the young side, not those steak-sized things. Kelda introduced me to haggis, and I'm so disappointed that it can't be obtained in the States, but maybe soon. New regulations are being pondered...perhaps in time for the Celtic Days at Estes Park this year!!

Later addition: Annie also raves about turbot cheeks!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 12:47:20 pm by Front-Ranger »
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2011, 10:47:19 am »
That plant doesn't look like the wintergreen I know, Paul. That's why I guess you have to use the Latin name. There must be a dozen plants called wintergreen! You should hear Joan Allen breeze through all the Latin names in Bird Cloud. She's a real trooper (and thinker, too!)
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2011, 12:32:04 pm »
Wow, some of these food items are really something.

I don't eat anything I find disgusting.   If I don't like the looks of something, I don't eat it.   Otherwise, I'll make myself sick thinking of it too much.    Cottage cheese once did that to me.  :)

I no longer eat red meat, but I do still eat chicken and fish, and I have cheated and had bacon on occasion (bad semi-vegetarian that I am).   I did that number I mentioned above on my mind so that I could give up eating meat.   I loooooooove oysters, Louisiana deep-fried especially, crawfish, and I love mint - it's a beautiful plant and I can't wait to have it come up in my garden this year.    Maybe the most exotic things I have ever eaten, for me,  are fish eggs of some sort, salmon I think and I like unagi (Japanese-style soy sauce-grilled [kabayaki] or smoked eel sushi, wrapped in nori [seaweed] - delish!), in fact seaweed is delicious; I tried alligator once (blech!), and I am curious about rattlesnake.   :)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 12:33:00 pm by Marina »
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2011, 02:09:59 pm »
Actually, wintergreen, as the name implies, is an evergreen shrub of the genus Gaultheria in the heath(!) family (Ericaceae) and not a mint at all .  Its oil, methyl salicylate, is related to aspirin.

I'm sure that my interest goes back to the memory that my father always had a roll of wint-o-green Lifesavers in his pocket.  

Mint is in the family Lamiaceae and includes basil, sage and oregano.  Most mint grows like a weed, and is gross.

exactly right.  I can't stand mint, and I love wintergreen.  I used to buy only Wint O Green lifesavers too!!!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2011, 02:37:26 pm »
Chicken livers are divine the way they prepare them in Italy.

That sounds interesting. I had no idea Italians ate them.

What's that?? I've never heard of it.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2011, 03:06:55 pm »
turbot is a fish.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2011, 04:15:58 pm »

That brings back memories - I remember walking with my grandmother as a child, past the local fishmarket -  and you'd see a carboard sign in the window advertising cod cheeks (and tongues) when they were available, at $x.xx/lb.   I would read the sign aloud to her and laugh, thinking of a fish having cheeks.  lol  This is the fleshy part of the "cheek" or jaw muscle of a fish, like a scallop.   I've never tried them, but I think my grandmother had.   For anyone who's interested, my husband says they are stringy.  :)  

That's another thing I love about our grandparents and forebears; if they did eat a living creature, whether due to economics, necessity, or what, they ate everything, wasted nothing.   Nowadays, fish cheeks, tripe, chicken feet ... IDK.  :)  I haven't tried chicken livers and I would love to.

Speaking of Annie P., I loved her book The Shipping News.   Her description of fried bologna curling up in the pan gave me a chuckle.  :laugh:   I think she may have mentioned cod cheeks too.  What a great book.

Sorry to drift off topic a bit.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 12:33:23 pm by Marina »
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love