Author Topic: What do you put in your Irish corned beef?  (Read 34752 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: What do you put in your Irish corned beef?
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 04:24:12 pm »
Cabbage is just nasty. 

Cabbage is very good for you. It's enabled the Ukrainians to withstand centuries of domination by the Russians.

Or so some Ukrainian acquaintances tell me.

Since they're both hunks, I'm inclined to believe what they say about the virtues of cabbage.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 04:42:24 pm »
Cabbage seems to be good for digestion. I like it, but love Brussels sprouts. :)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 06:52:34 pm »
I love Brussels sprouts. :)

Me, too!  :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 08:45:14 pm »
A Yankee who doesn't like a "boiled dinnah"?  :o

;D

Next you'll be telling us you don't like B&M baked beans and brown bread, in which case we'll have to send Leslie after you.  ;D

I'm thankful my mother never served boiled dinnah to us.  The smell of cabbage would not be allowed in her kitchen!

However, we did have B&M baked beans and brown bread out of the can every Saturday night.  Some things are sacred!

Although I dislike cabbage, I do like brussel sprouts.  I know, they're just like baby cabbages.  It depends on how you cook 'em.  Steamed, they're awfully cabbage-like.  But, sliced thin and sautéed on very high heat, they're heavenly.  Or, even better, deep fried, as Lynne can attest, as our local joint serves 'em. 

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 08:54:12 pm »
I'm thankful my mother never served boiled dinnah to us.  The smell of cabbage would not be allowed in her kitchen!

However, we did have B&M baked beans and brown bread out of the can every Saturday night.  Some things are sacred!

Although I dislike cabbage, I do like brussel sprouts.  I know, they're just like baby cabbages.  It depends on how you cook 'em.  Steamed, they're awfully cabbage-like.  But, sliced thin and sautéed on very high heat, they're heavenly.  Or, even better, deep fried, as Lynne can attest, as our local joint serves 'em. 

The sprouts at your place were pretty amazing; I'm not sure whose I like better...I broil them and toss them with pesto, myself.

And although I like the baked beans just fine, I've never had the dubious pleasure of brown bread in a can.  I think I'll keep it that way.   ::)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 09:48:31 pm »
I vaguely remember having brown bread out of a can.  Our family's ethnic dishes weren't many, but once in awhile my mom made "Welsh rarebit", which consisted of cheese sauce (probably made with Velveeta) served over saltines.  You can't get much more trashy American processed than that.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 10:11:00 pm »
I vaguely remember having brown bread out of a can.  Our family's ethnic dishes weren't many, but once in awhile my mom made "Welsh rarebit", which consisted of cheese sauce (probably made with Velveeta) served over saltines.  You can't get much more trashy American processed than that.  ;D

Ooh, Velveeta on saltines.  Yum.

We used to call it Welsh Rabbit.  When made with cheddar cheese, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and beer, served over toast, it's actually pretty good.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 10:11:48 pm »
And although I like the baked beans just fine, I've never had the dubious pleasure of brown bread in a can.  I think I'll keep it that way.   ::)

Seriously, you should try it. It's really quite good, kind of more like cake than bread, or so it seems to me. It comes with raisins or without. I've never had it with raisins. The "without" is very "molasses-y."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 10:14:16 pm »

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2011, 11:53:01 pm »
Ooh, Velveeta on saltines.  Yum.

We thought so.  Somehow those other ingredients didn't filter down through the generations.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...