Author Topic: Mason Dixon, by B73  (Read 13164 times)

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
Mason Dixon, by B73
« on: October 04, 2006, 03:23:05 pm »
Jack and Ennis meet as a runaway and a Georgia cracker in 1857, and wind up on opposite sides of the Civil War, years later. But, as the author points out, this story has happened many times, and will happen many times in the future, as the reunion of that which cannot be separated restores, for a little while, the balence in the universe, and ,for a little while, all's right with the world.

http://b73.livejournal.com/24884.html

(Spelling of Story Name corrected: Louisev)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 04:09:16 pm by louisev »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline wonderland

• Don't Say Much
Re: Mason Dixon, by B73
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 08:27:10 am »
This is just beautiful...

Offline t_wistfulheart

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • "Do I really mean that much to him?"
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 07:24:29 pm »
This is one of my favorite stories by Maggie (B73).  Although, it is sad in some respects, its ending just seems to glow with grace.     Karen

mvansand76

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 02:35:06 pm »
Hiya, it's different and I haven't read all of it yet, but it's an interesting story, very sad though...

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 02:01:25 am »
But the end is so..joyful...
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

mvansand76

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 07:21:55 am »

Oh, it's a finished story? Great!  :)

mvansand76

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2006, 07:50:21 am »
____________________SPOILER_______________________________

That is not the word I would use, and it made me think of an entirely different ending... thanks...

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2006, 09:34:45 am »
I agree, Mel. Joyful is not exactly the word I would use either  :-\

Though, I couldn't have seen this story going any other way really

(spoilers ahead......................................................)

I did like that at least it was a bit hopeful with the discussion of the two souls meeting again and again.

Though the ending is heartbreaking, IMO, I still recommend this story. It is very beautifully written. I don't know what else to say about it, that's one of the reasons I haven't commented on this thread. This story absolutely took my breath away. I loved it.
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

mvansand76

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2006, 10:43:39 am »
I agree, Mel. Joyful is not exactly the word I would use either  :-\

Though, I couldn't have seen this story going any other way really

(spoilers ahead......................................................)

I did like that at least it was a bit hopeful with the discussion of the two souls meeting again and again.

Though the ending is heartbreaking, IMO, I still recommend this story. It is very beautifully written. I don't know what else to say about it, that's one of the reasons I haven't commented on this thread. This story absolutely took my breath away. I loved it.

Well, there was definitely something about it that struck me, it's very original and I did feel the love between them very well, so that was well done, but the ending was just so unexpected, maybe I should not have read the comment on here, which was probably meant to be sarcastic, but did not come over as such, so maybe I was subconsciously expecting a happy ending. Not a nice experience, I will tell you that.   :'(

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2006, 04:05:58 pm »
Yeah, I sobbed really hard after reading it... because even though I thought it would probably end the way it did, I had hoped it wouldn't. Though, I'm with you, I read it after finding this thread and didn't read the "joyful" comment as sarcastic at all and was really confused.
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73