Author Topic: Mason Dixon, by B73  (Read 13137 times)

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
Re: Mason Dixon, by B73
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2006, 02:47:03 am »
They are ALL sequeLs to "Mason Dixon," every last one...but I guesss "Unseasonable Storm" is the last of therm...I have takern to wearing a lot of amber...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 05:08:33 am by twistedude »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2006, 10:03:48 am »
I know, very interesting the way she ties them all together. I love that idea. I won't give too much away but the dream memory you talked about... wow.

Unseasonable storm isn't a finished story yet is it? Just making sure I wasn't missing chapters...
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline t_wistfulheart

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • "Do I really mean that much to him?"
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2006, 08:21:59 pm »
I know, very interesting the way she ties them all together. I love that idea. I won't give too much away but the dream memory you talked about... wow.

Unseasonable storm isn't a finished story yet is it? Just making sure I wasn't missing chapters...

Nope, Unseasonable Storm is still in progress.  She has several in progress.  Lake Geneva is completely wonderful - she's posted several chapters in the last couple days.  Jack and Ennis are 15-16 in that one.  Lovely writing.

The other series that is still in progress starts with Union Pacific - continues with Signal Crossing - and then Catch the Westbound.  They'll really take you through the emotional wringer, trust me.  But they're wonderful.  The last in the series is still going.  It has reached the "present day" and she said may continue for a while - I hope so... I've got a lot of hope wrapped up in those two men in that story.  It's really something.  Kind of epic in proportion - like BBM, itself.

Karen

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2006, 08:28:05 pm »
Nope, Unseasonable Storm is still in progress.  She has several in progress.  Lake Geneva is completely wonderful - she's posted several chapters in the last couple days.  Jack and Ennis are 15-16 in that one.  Lovely writing.

The other series that is still in progress starts with Union Pacific - continues with Signal Crossing - and then Catch the Westbound.  They'll really take you through the emotional wringer, trust me.  But they're wonderful.  The last in the series is still going.  It has reached the "present day" and she said may continue for a while - I hope so... I've got a lot of hope wrapped up in those two men in that story.  It's really something.  Kind of epic in proportion - like BBM, itself.

Karen

I'll have to check out the Union Pacific series... her writing is very beautiful and I think epic is the perfect word for it. I'm starting Lake Geneva tonight, but I swear with how good her stories are I'll probably get through all ten chapters very quickly and will want to start the next series almost immediately. Before reading these, I thought for sure I'd only want happy endings out of AUs... but she can give whatever ending she pleases because no matter what, I'm always left with a beautiful feeling.
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2006, 02:22:46 am »
Y.mean--there;s MORE to "Unseasonable Storm"?

Who knew that "B73" is a HYBRID OF CORN? (i MEAn that literally...)
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline t_wistfulheart

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • "Do I really mean that much to him?"
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2006, 01:58:05 am »
Y.mean--there;s MORE to "Unseasonable Storm"?

Who knew that "B73" is a HYBRID OF CORN? (i MEAn that literally...)

Ok, I PMed her and got the scoop.  Yes, there is one more chapter of Unseasonable Storm coming.  Yea!

Also, more CTW is on the way.      Karen

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2006, 05:20:45 pm »
Ok, I PMed her and got the scoop.  Yes, there is one more chapter of Unseasonable Storm coming.  Yea!

Also, more CTW is on the way.      Karen

Yeah! I can't wait, I'm loving that story!

Still haven't started Lake Geneva... but I plan to (It will be my reward for when I finally get my own chapter posted  ;) )

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2006, 05:21:15 pm »
Oh, what to say?

I don't read many fanfics and though I've read a couple of Maggie's and really liked them, I hadn't gotten around to reading this one yet - till now. I've just read through Mason Dixon in one go - couldn't tear myself away till it was done.

Wow.

That ending was...... amazing. Heart-squeezing. So terribly sad, so tragic, but still so very lyrical. Full of grace, and hope - and love. Here, Ennis actually did get around to telling Jack to his face that he loved him before it was too late - unlike in canon. The idea of the two souls winging away, free, together, - it's very moving.

And all of it so skilfully written, the emotions coming through; the poetry of their meetings, the imagery of the city in the clouds where the birds go......... - and it's so visual! I could see that ending scene in the middle of crazy battle clearly before my inner eye, and it's breathtaking - both the horror and the beauty.

Sigh.

I loved it, but now I'm in *such* a melancholy mood.  :'(

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2006, 08:43:43 pm »
I'm so so glad you've found Mason Dixon! If you liked it you should definitely check out some of Maggie's other stories. As far as I'm concerned, she is one of the most unique and gifted voices in this fandom and while I love Mason Dixon it only gets better from there where her stories are concerned. I'd recommend checking out Lake Geneva, Union Pacific/Signal Crossing/Catch the Westbound and her newest del Mar Painting is also brilliant. I seriously cannot gush enough when it comes to Maggie's work  ::)

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2006, 04:23:39 am »
I'm so so glad you've found Mason Dixon! If you liked it you should definitely check out some of Maggie's other stories. As far as I'm concerned, she is one of the most unique and gifted voices in this fandom and while I love Mason Dixon it only gets better from there where her stories are concerned. I'd recommend checking out Lake Geneva, Union Pacific/Signal Crossing/Catch the Westbound and her newest del Mar Painting is also brilliant. I seriously cannot gush enough when it comes to Maggie's work  ::)

I am completely and totally in love with Del Mar Painting, I literally squeee when I see a new chapter come up. It's so unique, so so funny ~ her paint colours are brilliant! LOLLOL and the dialogue is like nothing else! ~ and so utterly sweet, I'm so overwhelmed after reading one of her chapters. Her mumblin/ serious/ solid and 'totally in love with Jack' Ennis is beyond sweet and her braggin/arrogant/grinning/playful/smart and 'totally in love with Ennis' Jack is so adorable. God, I love them both so much. So grateful to Helen for telling me to read!
I still have to get started on her other stuff, I've been told time and time again to get started on that too but I'm a bit hesitant cause it's all so sad. Is all the stuff you mentioned sad, Mandy?