Author Topic: Jake Gyllenhaal's Source Code: BUMP THREAD for Amanda's Bowie Info (2011)  (Read 63284 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Jake Gyllenhaal's Source Code: The First Five Minutes
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2011, 02:43:59 pm »
^Wow, well that's quite the tabloid-esque piece. 

Angie certainly has her side of the story and has written at least one book about some of this (it came out in the mid-1990s, so way prior to Duncan's current career).

One of the funnier parts of that is the statement that "By the mid-Seventies, the marriage was a sham"... I think it was a kind of marriage of convenience from the very beginning.  It is one very slanted side of the story. 

I've read recent interviews with Duncan where he talks about really having seen everything through the craziest years of the 70s. The mid and late 70s were definitely Bowie's worst drug years and Angie wasn't really in any condition to be a responsible parent either.  So, it's really a good thing that Duncan had a reliable nanny (it's just the practical thing in a situation like that anyway, and is probably the case for most celebrity kids).  But, he says that by the 80s and after the actual divorce from Angie, Bowie tried really hard to be a good parent.  After the 70s, it seems to me that Bowie was quite level headed about raising Duncan as well as possible in the context of a rock and rolll lifestyle (touring all the time, etc.).  And, yeah, like I said he was shrouded in quite a bit of mystery for a long time since Bowie tried to shield him from the media.  It's particularly interesting to hear Duncan's side of things and realize that he has his own voice in this.  Both he and David really are quite level-headed these days.  They did manage to come through the craziest years pretty well, and I get the sense that they have a pretty good relationship.

Honestly, as wild as the 70s were... I think Duncan is very lucky to have some memories of that phase in his Dad's career.  It was all so important.

Here's an interesting bit of trivia... This Ziggy Stardust photoshoot with Mick Rock was done in Duncan's nursery room at Bowie's famous, early residence called Haddon Hall.  One of the photos was used as the back cover art for a re-issue of the Space Oddity album.  No wonder sci-fi metaphors are so prominent for Duncan these days.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2011, 05:33:33 pm »
If she was born in 1949, it seems to me that she would be 61, not 59. This article definitely needed some fact checking.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2011, 07:17:00 pm »

^Wow, well that's quite the tabloid-esque piece.  

Well, it's the Daily Mail,  after all!

Here's an interesting bit of trivia... This Ziggy Stardust photoshoot with Mick Rock was done in Duncan's nursery room at Bowie's famous, early residence called Haddon Hall.  One of the photos was used as the back cover art for a re-issue of the Space Oddity album.  No wonder sci-fi metaphors are so prominent for Duncan these days.

Dad

Lovely--thanks, Amanda!

If she was born in 1949, it seems to me that she would be 61, not 59. This article definitely needed some fact checking.

As bad as it is, Lee (again, Well, it's the Daily Mail ) the article was written nearly two years ago--hence the seeming discrepancy.

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2011, 08:21:43 am »
Angie
(Jagger-Richards, 1973)

Angie, Angie
When will those clouds all disappear?
Angie, Angie
Where will it lead us from here?
With no loving in our souls
And no money in our coats
You can't say we're satisfied
But Angie, Angie
You can't say we never tried
Angie, You're beautiful
But ain't it time we said goodbye
Angie, I still love you
Remember all those nights we cried?
All the dreams we held so close
Seemed to all go up in smoke
Let me whisper in your ear
Angie, Angie
Angie, don't you weep
All your kisses still taste sweet
I hate that sadness in your eyes
But Angie, Angie
Ain't it time we said goodbye?
But Angie, I still love you, baby
Everywhere I look I see your eyes
There ain't a woman that comes close to you
Come on baby dry your eyes
But Angie, Ain't it...
Ain't it good to be alive?
Angie, Angie

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2011, 08:37:24 am »
I saw the movie last night and thought it was pretty good.

So if Angie Bowie sees Moon as a metaphor for her son's feelings of abandonment, then in Source Code Vera Farmiga's and Jeffrey Wright's characters -- the military scientists who keep relentlessly sending Jake onto the doomed train, giving him little information about his situation or his fate, harshly circumscribing his personal freedom -- must represent his parents.

But wait, Vera Farmiga's character is much more sympathetic. Maybe Duncan Jones switched the parents' genders just to mix things up a bit, or maybe he has warmer feelings toward Angie than we thought, or ...

Or maybe it's just a cigar.  ???

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2011, 08:49:58 am »
A little trivia:  Vera Farmiga has acted both with Jake and with Heath.  She was in "Roar", playing Caitlin to Heath's Conor, in the Australian TV series from the '90s.

good find, Paul!

I can´t even find a release date for Source Code in Sweden. Maybe it won´t open here.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2011, 08:55:20 am »
Oh - just found the release date for Sweden.

August 5

can you believe it? In the rest of Europe it will open in April through June.

I was intending to wait and watch it in a cinema, but no way that I will wait that long

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2011, 09:55:47 pm »
                         Dad

Yes! His Dad is a genius... and, for better or worse, Duncan's building a lot of these films off of his Dad's old metaphors.  FWIW, Bowie has never been genuinely interested in sci-fi... it's all about the metaphor of the outsider / the outcast / someone looking at earth and humans from a detached perspective.   There was actually a smart interview with Duncan about Moon where the interviewer asked him why he made a movie about "Space Oddity" (which was based on a movie to begin with).....  He had no good answer other than to say that he was raised surrounded with that kind of imagery.

Some of those old Mick Rock photos are so beautiful. This is another one.  The Ziggy project was very serious.  There's a lot of interesting history to the costume... some related to Japanese theatre and some related to an underground gay culture in London (both the Japanese and the London related to androgyny).  The haircut came from the underground gay scene in London as a reaction to hippie trends re: long hair.  It's also about identity - persona on top of persona... the key is to understand that Bowie is a persona for David Robert Jones.  Nothing he ever does as "Bowie" can be considered completely real - including interviews.

Anyway, about Angie...

I love how in the article John posted, Angie blames a 14 year old for rejecting her.  That just seems harsh and unrealistic (when it comes to expectations regarding 14 year olds).  Also, as far as I understand, Bowie had a restraining order against Angie for a long time - so that may have a lot to do with that circumstance.

I feel bad for Angie in a lot of ways... but, she is her own worst enemy in a lot of ways.

Angie
(Jagger-Richards, 1973)

Angie, Angie
When will those clouds all disappear?
Angie, Angie
But Angie, Angie
Angie, You're beautiful
But ain't it time we said goodbye
Angie, I still love you
Remember all those nights we cried?
All the dreams we held so close
Seemed to all go up in smoke
Let me whisper in your ear
Angie, Angie
Angie, don't you weep
All your kisses still taste sweet
I hate that sadness in your eyes
But Angie, Angie
Ain't it time we said goodbye?
But Angie, I still love you, baby
Everywhere I look I see your eyes
There ain't a woman that comes close to you
Come on baby dry your eyes
But Angie, Ain't it...
Ain't it good to be alive?
Angie, Angie

"Drive in Saturday"
(Bowie, '73 - from Aladdin Sane... the same album where he covers the Stones "Let's Spend the Night Together" <- which by the way, he dedicated to Mick live on stage at the final Ziggy concert in 73)

Let me put my arms around your head
Gee, it's hot, let's go to bed
Don't forget to turn on the light
Don't laugh babe, it'll be alright
Pour me out another phone
I'll ring and see if your friends are home
Perhaps the strange ones in the dome
Can lend us a book we can read up alone

And try to get it on like once before
When people stared in Jagger's eyes and scored
Like the video films we saw

His name was always Buddy
And he'd shrug and ask to stay
She'd sigh like Twig the Wonder Kid
And turn her face away

She's uncertain if she likes him
But she knows she really loves him
It's a crash course for the ravers
It's a Drive-in Saturday

Jung the foreman prayed at work
That neither hands nor limbs would burst
It's hard enough to keep formation with this fall out saturation
Cursing at the Astronette
Who stands in steel by his cabinet
He's crashing out with Sylvian
The Bureau Supply for ageing men
With snorting head he gazes to the shore
Which once had raised a sea that raged no more
Like the video films we saw

His name was always Buddy
And he'd shrug and ask to stay
She'd sigh like Twig the Wonder Kid
And turn her face away

She's uncertain if she likes him
But she knows she really loves him
It's a crash course for the ravers
It's a Drive-in Saturday"

This song, is widely interpreted to be about people in some strange futuristic society who have forgotten about romance, learning how to have sex again (though there are clearly lots of ways to interpret it).  They read books, and watch video tapes of Mick Jagger! And the woman referenced in the part I put in bold is often interpreted to be Angie (and her famous rejection of Mick).  It's also a not-so subtle reference to his own affair with Mick.  "Buddy" was apparently Mick's hotel pseudonym for a while.

In more recent years, Angie has tried to use her knowledge of this affair to embarass David and/or Mick... but, what I think she doesn't understand (and she should) is that neither one of them deny it... and I think they both think it's a major score.  I think it's very easy to see them as groupies for one another... and Bowie even chose his stage name in the beginning based on Jagger's last name.
 :D

*Also as a complete side note... the second line that I put in bold about the "ravers" is believed to be the source for our modern-day concept of "rave" parties.  T.Rex also used this word -"rave"- in lyrics from this same glam era... so it could be a combo of influences from Bowie and T.Rex.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 11:33:46 pm by atz75 »

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2011, 11:58:16 pm »
p.s. an amazing photo of Mick Rock with David...  Rock is a Cambridge University educated artist.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2011, 12:00:28 am »

Anyway, about Angie...

I love how in the article John posted, Angie blames a 14 year old for rejecting her.  That just seems harsh and unrealistic (when it comes to expectations regarding 14 year olds).  Also, as far as I understand, Bowie had a restraining order against Angie for a long time - so that may have a lot to do with that circumstance.

I feel bad for Angie in a lot of ways... but, she is her own worst enemy in a lot of ways.

'Zowie came to see me when he was 14 and I was living on 8th Street in New York, which was a Bohemian neighbourhood,' she says.

'Zowie looked around at my place, and said, "This is horrid." I screamed at him, "Don't be so bourgeois!" It's something I regret to this day. He looked at me and said, "I hate you."'

Angie did not hear from her son again until six years ago. 'My daughter Stasha found him on the internet,' she says. 'He emailed me and I didn't know what to say. So I put them together. They corresponded for a bit and then that stopped. He is cold, like his father. David cut me off. Zowie, or Duncan, cut me and Stasha off.'

(....)

'I love my son but I was never there for him, so I understand why he hates me.'

Sigh.

Poor Duncan. (And poor Angie--but really --isn't it time  for her to use the name that Duncan so obviously prefers? God.)

The visit with his mother--gosh, what a nightmare. I know the entire length of Eighth Street (including St. Mark's Place, the stretch between Third Avenue and Avenue 'A'--one of my dearest friends lived on the corner of St. Mark's and First Avenue in the late Seventies and early Eighties). Anyway. In 1985, when Duncan was 14 years old, it was--well, it was still raw and rough. All I can say, is--it must have been a shock. If he had been a few years older, it would have seemed cool,  but at 14, some boys are still--boy-ish. I wonder if he had any friends there? The actor, Liev Shrieber, just four years older (and with an incredibly difficult mother!) lived there quite fearlessly, but, at that age, four years is just too big a gap--

Poor Duncan.

Oh well.

Sad.

Maybe not, though. He has an amazing career ahead of him--

(postscript re: the neighborhood and changing times and utter irony --for ten years Bowie and Iman have lived in a luxuriously 'bourgeois' penthouse in a renovated historic building just minutes away from the 'horrid' bohemian pad. I'm sure Duncan is fully aware of the irony--)
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"