Author Topic: Jake Gyllenhaal's Source Code: BUMP THREAD for Amanda's Bowie Info (2011)  (Read 63827 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Jake Gyllenhaal's Source Code: The First Five Minutes
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2011, 01:07:51 am »
1985 is also the year that David Bowie's brother committed suicide.

This was after a decade and a half of Terry being institutionalized for schizophrenia (his brother, Terry threw himself under a train).   Terry was put in a mental hospital around 1970, and many think this situation relates strongly to the lyrics in Bowie's  The Man Who Sold the World album, way back when.  There's a song on that album called "All the Madmen."  And, the lyrics of "Width of a Circle" combine Bowie's experience of witnessing Terry's first schizophrenic break (where he apparently thought the sidewalk was splitting in two) with David's own experience of losing his own virginity with a man.

The lyrical theme of insanity that runs through all of Bowie's lyrics relates not only to Terry, but a huge, scary history in Bowie's (maternal) line with a disposition towards schizophrenia.  Many think that Bowie's complex adoption of multiple personae has do to with an active desire to stave of insanity.

Some biographers say that he never wanted to have children because he was afraid of passing this on... but, now he has Duncan and a daughter (and a step-daughter) with Iman -clearly good things.  But, I think this family history probably worries him profoundly.

(This is two parts because the guitar solo is so long in the middle, LOL)
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agMCN8DlX9g[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP1KKW6VxUs&feature=related[/youtube]

"Width of a Circle"
In the corner of the morning in the past
I would sit and blame the master first and last
All the roads were straight and narrow
And the prayers were small and yellow
And the rumour spread that I was aging fast
Then I ran across a monster who was sleeping by a tree.
And I looked and frowned and the monster was me

Well, I said hello and I said hello
And I asked "Why not?" and I replied "I don't know"
So we asked a simple black bird, who was happy as can be
And he laughed insane and quipped "KAHLIL GIBRAN"
So I cried for all the others till the day was nearly through
For I realized that God's a young man too

So I said "So long" and I waved "Bye-bye"
And I smashed my soul and traded my mind
Got laid by a young bordello
I was vaguely half asleep
For which my reputation swept back home in drag
And the moral of this magic spell
Negotiates my hide
When God did take my logic for a ride
(Riding along)

He swallowed his pride and puckered his lips
And showed me the leather belt round his hips
My knees were shaking my cheeks aflame
He said "You'll never go down to the Gods again"
(Turn around,go back!)

He struck the ground, a cavern appeared
And I smelt the burning pit of fear
We crashed a thousand yards below
I said "Do it again, do it again"
(Turn around,go back!)

His nebulous body swayed above
His tongue swollen with devil's love
The snake and I, a venom high
I said "Do it again, do it again"
(Turn around, go back!)

Breathe, breathe, breathe deeply
And I was seething, breathing deeply
Spitting sentry, horned and tailed
Waiting for you."

« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 08:17:17 am by atz75 »
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2011, 08:01:41 am »

1985 is also the year that David Bowie's brother committed suicide.

omg.

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2011, 08:12:40 am »

Sorry for taking us a bit off-topic.

I did see Source Code over the weekend and I liked it.  I agree with what people are saying about this being a really good performance for Jake. :)

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2011, 10:03:01 am »

Not at all, Amanda--I think you might have revealed a hidden line in the real source code of Source Code...

:)

"Camping Out"

Offline Sophia

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2011, 02:44:13 pm »

I did see Source Code over the weekend and I liked it.  I agree with what people are saying about this being a really good performance for Jake. :)

Thank you Amanda for the information, I learned a lot new interesting things. And I could only agree with John you definitely have found a hidden line in the real source code of  the movie SOURCE CODE

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2011, 05:04:20 pm »

Thanks Buds. :)  I just get overly excited when I get an opportunity to talk about Bowie.  ;D

And, I still can't believe how Jake/Brokie interests have so closely intersected with that.
But, it's very cool.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2011, 12:38:10 am »
I feel the need to add a bit more detail about Terry (Bowie's older half-brother).  Terry was Bowie's mother's son from a relationship previous to her marriage to David's father.  Terry and David were very close growing up, David idolized Terry as the "cool older brother" and I think Bowie truly loved Terry. Anyway, early on Terry had some interest in jazz music in London and was very handsome and smart, etc..  So, when David was a teenager and Terry was older, Terry would take David out to music clubs (somewhat important to Bowie's musical development).  Terry's schizophrenia didn't manifest until he was in his 20s (which, I guess is common with that disease).  Terry's first episode happened when David was out with him (I think coming back from a club) and Terry thought the sidewalk was breaking in two and turning into a pit of fire (the reference in "Width of a Circle").  

I guess Terry's illness was very severe and he was institutionalized for most of his life.  There are about a million lyrical references to Terry/insanity in Bowie's music.  So, I won't get into all of that.  

The train symbolism is important though... Terry tried to kill himself at least one time before he was successful.  In his first attempt (I can't recall when it was) he laid on train tracks, but lost his nerve and curled up so that the train went over him, but did not kill him.  Ultimately this is how he died in late 1985 (by lying on train tracks).

There is strange resonance in some of Bowie's music... most prominently his important song "Station to Station" (1976)... which begins with the sound of a train.  And, live (I've seen only one performance of this live in 1990)... what Bowie does (and has staged it this way since the 70s) is he has the lights sweep over the crowd and the roof of the arena so, with the loud sound and the lighting... you really feel like a train is coming or going over you.  I think this song pre-dates Terry's first suicide attempt.... And, I think that staging of the song also pre-dates all of the Terry-suicide story.  But, it clearly has profound links to the Terry story post-1985.  It's scary-chilling.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 11:20:40 am by atz75 »

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2011, 03:29:19 am »
Anyone else who have seen Source Code yet? I wanna hear what you all think!

and still bummed about the movie not opening here until August 5th. I´m gonna watch it long before then, but I had been looking forward to seeing it on the big screen.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2011, 08:26:43 pm »

The train symbolism is important though... Terry tried to kill himself at least one time before he was successful.  In his first attempt (I can't recall when it was) he laid on train tracks, but lost his nerve and curled up so that the train went over him, but did not kill him.  Ultimately this is how he died in late 1985 (by lying on train tracks).

Oh my. I won't say anything more at present other than, yes, the source code inside Source Code.  Thanks, Amanda, I would not have known about Terry and....

Two other things: people have mentioned, I think, that Scott Bakula of Quantum Leap  has a sort of off-camera cameo as Jake's character's father. But. One thing I noticed hidden in the middle of the long end-credits: "Editorial Spirit (sic) de Corps: Eleanor Rigby." A punster, our Mr. Jones.

And, I must say, because of--well, again, won't say more at present, but--

Mr. Jones is, I think, a truly nice man.  

:)

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2011, 08:33:17 pm »

and still bummed about the movie not opening here until August 5th. I´m gonna watch it long before then, but I had been looking forward to seeing it on the big screen.

Sorry, Monika--what's up with that? Have the Swedish Consulate in Hollywood complain!

>:( ;) :D

"Camping Out"