Author Topic: And what about the choice of our user name ?  (Read 32233 times)

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
And what about the choice of our user name ?
« on: April 04, 2006, 12:55:50 pm »
Since we are telling each other everything about ourselves, even showing pics of our PETS to each other, I thought it wouldn't be TOO daring to ask what influenced your choice for a user name.
My real name is Isabelle, but you may remember 'milena-covic' from IMDb? That was my user name there. I took it because it didn't let on I was French (I then realized it was sometimes a good idea on the BBM board!), but still looked foreign. Milena was the name of the wife of F. Kafka, an author I love, and Covic is the last name of a Croatian writer who wrote a harrowing (and frightening) book about the 1992 former Yugoslavia war. And I have always hated the army. (Not saying I hate the persons who are/have been in it). (Err... I am not usually THIS serious...)

What about you all?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 02:23:13 pm by isabelle »
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

EnnisDelMar

Re: And what about the choice of our user name ?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 12:57:47 pm »
Me and Ennis, were pals. Lol actually I'm a lot like Ennis so that's why my name is what it is.

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 01:11:47 pm »
Sparkle Motion - name of the dance team on Donnie Darko.

Brandon, I've said it before and I'll say it again, I LOVE YOUR AVATAR. Everytime I see it, it makes my stomach flip.
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 01:13:22 pm »
well my passion and avocation has been cooking since I was about 6 years old so hence my name - although I do not cook professionally at the moment, it is always a possibility and I still keep up on the latest food trends.................... :)
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

Offline DeeDee

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 01:15:03 pm »
Mine's not so hard.  My name is Diane and my last name starts with a D, so my niece started calling me deedee some years ago...So as you can see, I have NO imagination.
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 01:29:39 pm »
...So as you can see, I have NO imagination.

Not true at all! You never know what it might mean to people. I thought for a minute you might be called 'Dédé', as this is how a French person would pronounce Deedee. And Dédé is short for André. But you're a girl... Imagine, MY initials are ID, exactly what I do not like giving!
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 01:52:34 pm »
yaadpyar:  - mine is from two Hindi words - yaad & pyar.  Yaad is love, and pyar is memory or remembrances.  They are not used as one word, but I've combined them for my user name.  It basically means that pure spiritual love is available through remembrance of G*d.  I practice meditation, and this is a basic principle of that practice.

"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 01:56:50 pm »
That's really cool, Celeste.
I've always pronounced your name Yard Par. I know that is not correct though. It's just easiest. Why did you put an asterisks?
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 02:06:24 pm »
Ruby-my nickname=RouxB-the name of my red car. My name is Sherrill (and I am some kind of an aholic)

Heathen

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 02:09:57 pm »
That's really cool, Celeste.
I've always pronounced your name Yard Par. I know that is not correct though. It's just easiest. Why did you put an asterisks?

Well - thanks.  It's pronounced: yad pee-ar.  I feel funny typing "God", especially since that word elicits such strong repsonses, positive and negative, from so many folks.  Plus - there's an idea in some religions that the name "God" is sacred and so shouldn't be written as such.  

Also - in the same way vowels are left out of swear words to minimize their impact, I guess I put in an asterisk to do the same...sort of.  Don't know why exactly - just always felt right...

You know I love your name.  I totally don't doubt your commitment anymore!!!!!
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)