Author Topic: Chaz Bono  (Read 6767 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Chaz Bono
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 10:08:52 am »
I dunno.  That critique is basically telling everyone how Chaz SHOULD feel.  Only Chaz knows how he feels and it's pretty presumptuous IMO that anyone else can tell him that he's really not feeling what he's feeling.

That is pretty much how I took it, too.  How presumptuous is it, to presume that 'if he thought it through' then he would feel the way the FtM author of the piece does?  The big unspoken issue here is that the 'typical' transsexual experience is not boys playing with dolls and wearing dresses during early childhood and insisting that they are girls, (and vice versa), the typical experience occurs in adulthood, after many years of belonging to and having relationships, either hetero or gay, which is why so many transsexuals have 'heartbreaking family stories' because they make the transition after marrying, fathering or mothering children, and living an adult life as they were born.  The ones who post in activist forums will claim a retroactive misery, but looking back at my own life and my own marriage and background from the perspective of middle age, it is hard for me to not agree to some extent with Camille Paglia that there are those who are now getting sex reassignment surgery because 'it's out there' as a gender choice.  Her comments on this - and on Chaz Bono - have infuriated the transsexual community; but she is speaking from the standpoint of lesbian activists, and from their perspective, they see long-time lesbian feminist women having FtM surgery and think, what the hell is that about?
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Chaz Bono
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 11:20:02 am »
The ones who post in activist forums will claim a retroactive misery, but looking back at my own life and my own marriage and background from the perspective of middle age, it is hard for me to not agree to some extent with Camille Paglia that there are those who are now getting sex reassignment surgery because 'it's out there' as a gender choice.  Her comments on this - and on Chaz Bono - have infuriated the transsexual community; but she is speaking from the standpoint of lesbian activists, and from their perspective, they see long-time lesbian feminist women having FtM surgery and think, what the hell is that about?

OT, perhaps, but I wonder whether they feel somehow betrayed? Are they thinking that a lesbian who has FtM reassignment surgery "selling out"?  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.