Author Topic: Masculinity in Brokeback Mountain  (Read 15208 times)

Offline Espresso

• Don't Say Much
Masculinity in Brokeback Mountain
« on: May 18, 2011, 08:14:28 am »
Hello to everyone! I'm writing my course paper on topic "Masculinity in Annie Proulx's short story Brokeback Mountain" I've just finished my theoreticall part of the course paper, and now i'm lookin forward to write analysis of masculinity in the textual representation of this story. I've couple of minds in my head according to this topic, but in general I need your HELP! :) So i've decided to divide my analysis into two parts: 1.analysis of spiritual world of major characters 2. analysis of external world. I'm going to talk about poor childhood and it's influence in part 1, while in second part of my analysis i'm going to cover some social problems (like homophobia). The problem is that it's not enough for this paper, therefore i please you to help me, i'll appreciate any kind of help, good minds, quotations, and so on.
 8)
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE. ;)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Masculinity in Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 09:19:07 am »
Hi and welcome, Espresso! I'd say you've come to the right place. First, I'm curious why you have chosen the topic of masculinity as it's portrayed in Brokeback Mountain. It's a great topic, but daunting!! Dividing it into the internal and external aspects is good and helps organize the paper.

My first thought is that Annie Proulx starts the story, after the prologue, by describing the two young men and prominently mentioning where they are from. Ennis is from Sage, in the extreme SW corner of Wyoming, and Jack is from Lightning Flat way up on the NE Wyoming border. Proulx nearly always places her characters in a setting because she believes that our environment shapes our character. Plus, their origins show how they were marginalized people from remote, estranged areas, nearly ghost towns. Ennis and Jack came together in the Big Horn Mountains which make a backbone down the north central part of Wyoming.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 10:31:23 am »
What stands out for me is that we are given (in the short story) a glimpse into each of their childhoods, with Ennis it is the murder of Earl, and with Jack it is the "hard scene" that Ennis remembers Jack talking about later, it comes in almost as an afterthought.

With the Earl murder you have Ennis being instilled with a sense of danger, that this sort of behavior will result in death, and of course he finds himself facing that situation in his own life. With Jack, we have no such points of reference saying the behavior is wrong, only his father imprinting on him he is more of a man than Jack will ever be because he has a foreskin.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Espresso

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 12:25:31 pm »
Big Thanks!! these posts enriched me with some material. :) I'm thinking now how to explicate the topic of inner feelings, yeah, argument of childhood is great, but I need more here... Talking about external world, I think that the scene with that observing guy is very useful, because it implicates the way how people of different sexual orientation were threatened in 1960'. As I understand, poor childhood of Ennis and Jack (To be more concrete, their indelible experiences related to gays), forces to hide their feelings, because it was inappropriate for that time society. Great example of how they are scared to confess, is a negation even to each other "I ain't queer" says Ennis "I'm too" says Jack. On the other hand, this scene makes wonder are they really gays, or they are just two allied souls, whom sex is just the highest kind of expression of their feelings??

If you will have some more good minds, quotations, scenes, or other useful stuff for my analysis on major characters inner world, and how they are threatened in the external world, don't be shy write it down, you are welcome to do this.

Big thanks for YOU TWO again.  O0

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 12:48:27 pm »
Thank you, for coming along and asking these interesting questions! Your comments reminded me of a fascinating discussion that atz75 started after she viewed the movie with some other members of BetterMost. In the story, AP talks about Ennis getting sick after he and Jack split up for the first time. In the movie, this is expanded with a stranger walking by, hesitating, and then Ennis yells "What the f** you lookin' at?"

And later, Ennis asks Jack if all the people out on the pavement know. No, they don't know, or care, but in Ennis's internal world this is a matter of life or death. Jack doesn't see it that way either. He sees Ennis's internal strugglese as a way to get closer to Ennis, so he says, "Maybe you oughta get out of there...move to Texas." But Ennis knows he can never move away from his fears.

Amanda's thread "What Are You Lookin At", stalled after just three posts, way back in 2008. It should be revived!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 02:05:51 pm »
You might also like to check out our book discussion at:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,8238.0/all.html

Offline Espresso

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 02:09:48 pm »
Thanks Man! It will really help me :)

I think that I get the point why both Ennis and Jack are characterized using wide variety of masculinity elements. Masculinity itself is something very close to the animalistic roots of man, so it explains why rising feeling of nearness ends up in sex scene. What is more, both Ennis and Jack  are fairly rough characters, I mean their clothing, behavior, the way they speak, all these things proves the proposition that physically they look like masculine characters, but looking through the inner world perception, both characters (especially Ennis) are very sensitive. Ennis and Jack are experiencing different inner struggles, main point of ennis struggle is to remain unnoticed, while Jack struggles with his desires to live with Ennis till the end of their lives.

Sorry for grammatical issues, English is not my mother-tongue language, and I have written it quickly.
:D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 07:21:31 pm »
I am impressed that you are studying Annie Proulx when English is not your mother tongue!! So don't worry about small errors. Jack's and Ennis' English was far from perfect too!

AP's writing is controversial; it seems people either love it or hate it. However most agree that Brokeback Mountain is her masterwork, even though she won a Pulitzer Prize for another book. IMO, she is a master of exposition and her descriptions of the surroundings give clues to the internal workings of her characters. Here's an example taken from the lake scene where the two men clashed at the end of the story:

"Like vast clouds of steam from thermal springs in winter the years of things unsaid and now unsayable--admissions, declarations, shames, guilts, fears--rose around them."

She helps us imagine the ghosts of a life they once could have had, their hopes and dreams rising around them as vapors and fading away into nothingness. Very moving.  :'(

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 12:04:58 am »
One very important thing about kids who grow up poor is that they often lack access to thoughts, ideas, influences, or stimulus from anything outside their immediate environment. And sometimes when they do get it, they don't have the skills to process what they are experiencing. I think this was more of an issue with Ennis than with Jack, but they both suffered because of it individually and together.

More specifically, when it came to their discovery of their feelings for each other, neither of them really knew what to do about it. They were both certainly fearful. And it was something foreign for both. Jack--because he had been exposed to a wider world than Ennis--was at least willing to travel down the path his love laid out for him. Ennis could only react with 1 of 2 primal responses: sex and fear.

Had these two men been less poor, they would have been less isolated. Less isolation in turn leads to broader knowledge, understanding, and experience. So I think their poverty was a major contribution to their tragic circumstances.   

What is more, both Ennis and Jack  are fairly rough characters, I mean their clothing, behavior, the way they speak, all these things proves the proposition that physically they look like masculine characters, but looking through the inner world perception, both characters (especially Ennis) are very sensitive.

Both Jack and Ennis were indeed masculine to the core. It was not just their clothing, speech, or behavior. And please don't make the mistake of putting masculinity and sensitivity in opposition. The two are not mutually exclusive. I have written much here about the way men express their feelings, both in general and between each other.

If your project needs another topic of analysis in order to fill it out, I suggest an analysis of the relationship between masculinity and homosexuality, and how society has viewed that relationship over time and across cultures. Of course, you'll have to be careful to make sure that your analytical points tie back to the situation in Brokeback. I can point you to a number of resources if you need them.

Buona fortuna col tuo progetto.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 12:53:13 pm »
Thank you for joining us, Espresso, and best of luck on your paper!  I hope more people add their thoughts on this thread in order to help you.

The subject of masculinity is certainly a strong one in terms of BM.  We have the stereotypical father of Ennis bashing gays and forcing his sons to witness the repercussions of such behavior, the cold-hearted, bitter and disappointed and jaded father of Jack who seems to be mortified that he could have possibly raised a gay son.  Then we have the tough-guy bravado of Ennis as the result of his upbringing, and the sensitive and open but still strong antithesis of that in Jack.  It's a topic that one could go on exploring for a hundred pages, I should think.

I hope your teacher/professor knows something of Brokeback, either the book or the film?
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Espresso

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 04:04:29 pm »
Long time no see :)

Thank you guys, your's posts enriched me with good material.

To millomorris:
Actually, my second part of analysis will be based on homosexuality in society. I have covered it more or less in my theoretical part of course paper, therefore I'm going to analyse it in BM, I have noticed one scene where one guy stares at Ennis and Jack through binoculars, I think it reflects social situation of that time, but in this case I need more scenes, quotations that may reflect the way how these two men were threatened in the external world. Anyway, I have a lot of good material here, in this thread, which is not deeply covered by me yet.

To Mandy21:

Believe me or not, my professor knows more than I can even imagine :D Though my essay, course paper, or everything else may look quite perfect for me, my professor would say that is worth no more than 7 :D cruel reality....

Offline Espresso

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 09:56:52 am »
Hello guys, i need your help again.

My course paper is more or less good but I need to write one more section called "Analysis of external world in brokeback mountain" I should write about the way society had viewed jack and ennis.

Thanks in advance.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 10:09:05 am »
Hello guys, i need your help again.

My course paper is more or less good but I need to write one more section called "Analysis of external world in brokeback mountain" I should write about the way society had viewed jack and ennis.

Thanks in advance.

As usual, there are several levels going on here...

1. There's the way the other characters in Brokeback Mountain viewed Jack & Ennis.
2. There's the way society viewed homosexuals
3. There's the way Jack & Ennis perceived society's view of them, and of homosexuals.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 10:16:33 am »
Yes, we have discussed in several threads on the Open Forum how different Numbers 1, 2, and 3 were. There were debates about whether Aguirre or Old Man Twist really were homophobic at all. In the movie, it seemed clear that men in Texas were homophobic, but in the story this is less clear. Ennis' father was clearly homophobic but Ennis seemed to respect him anyway. Although Annie Proulx said one time that the story is about rural homophobia, much of this is in the background taking second place to the primary subject of the relationship of two people.

Offline Espresso

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 10:23:14 am »
Thanks!

In addition, numbers 1. and 3. are clear.
On number 1. I may talk about ennis's wife and Joe aguirre. Is there anything more that I should talk about?
On number 3. I may talk about ennis' and jack's fears, how they are intimidated and so on...
But what scenes from the short story may be given as an examples of number 2.?

Offline Espresso

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 11:44:14 am »
Could you please copy the links to the threads where I could find more on this ?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 04:07:24 pm »

Offline Espresso

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2011, 03:26:15 am »
Thanks for the given links. I have just finished my part on external world of brokeback mountain. One thing that made my analysis of external world very easy was structure based on these 3 "ways" given. I'm wondering to re-write my analysis of internal world of major characters. What I need is similar structure to the one given before. Therefore, I'm asking you guys, is it possible to "structurize" the internal world of the Ennis and Jack. I need your replies till the end of this day.

Once again, THANKS!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2011, 10:27:29 am »
How about if you take the first stab at it and we can give you our comments? We'll be standing by!

Offline Espresso

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2011, 10:38:32 am »
i would like to do so, but I can't because than, my professor may find it here and my teacher do not know that my nick is "Espresso" so it would be clear case of plagiarism... I will post my whole course paper when I will get mark on it. But now the only possible way is to discuss with you guys