Author Topic: Chihuly glass art at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts  (Read 8408 times)

Offline Andrew

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Chihuly glass art at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts
« on: June 08, 2011, 09:14:43 pm »

The largest single work and the signpost for the rest of the exhibit, is in the enclosed courtyard designed by Norman Foster, part of the wing which just opened this year.  At the right, the reflections of two visitors on the stairs outside the new Art of the Americas wing.  The little red flames are in the outdoor courtyard.  Night.

In the exhibit proper words are futile -

Offline Andrew

Re: Chihuly glass art at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 09:26:31 pm »

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 11:52:15 pm »
Wow!  Those are really beautiful, Andrew.  Thanks so much for posting them.  The close-ups are especially nice, but I also love seeing the big green tree reflected in the windows at night.  What a unique artist Chihuly is!  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 02:04:45 am »
Spectacutlar!
Thank you Andrew, for posting these. I will snatch one or two to use as avatar over on FB, if you don't mind.

The green huge tree/plant/cactus in the hall is impressive, and even better with all the reflections in your photos.

In the other picture with Meryl in front of the blue tangle I didn't see that they are installed an a way that they seem to levitate, which makes a good part of the fascination.

But my favorites are the "underwater" ones. I would soooo love to stand underneath them!

8) 8) 8)

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 06:06:41 am »
As I´m looking at these picture I am starting to realize that I´ve probably seen this display. At least I think so. It was when I visited the Swedish National Museum in Stockholm a few years back. I don´t recognize everything, but the "underwater world" looks very familiar. Maybe parts of it were on a tour?

In any case, fab pics Andrew!

Offline dejavu

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 12:08:13 pm »
But my favorites are the "underwater" ones. I would soooo love to stand underneath them!

Absolutely gorgeous, Andrew.  Thanks so much for posting them.  It's made me sad to realize I was so close, but didn't get to see these sculptures in person, but your pictures help to make up for it.

I especially like the "underwater" ones, too, Chrissi.
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?

Offline Andrew

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 08:53:37 pm »
Absolutely gorgeous, Andrew.  Thanks so much for posting them.  It's made me sad to realize I was so close, but didn't get to see these sculptures in person, but your pictures help to make up for it.

Even when I live just a mile away and have been able to go several times, I find that these pictures help make up for many things, too!  I really see things differently, and more fully, when I am sitting and the images are glowing on my screen, inviting true contemplation.  The zoom lens lets me savor so many things I only get a hint of with my unassisted eye. 

Offline Andrew

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 09:01:52 pm »
Here is a final series.

Offline Andrew

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 09:14:47 pm »

Offline Andrew

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 09:18:25 pm »
And one final, final picture - honest ! - which gets its own post because it is the very few of the human form, seemingly a water baby among the sea life, and its placement among the other pieces has the magic of a tale: