Author Topic: UPDATE 2012 - Wish me luck  (Read 22726 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
UPDATE 2012 - Wish me luck
« on: June 21, 2011, 07:14:40 pm »
Hi all,

Last week I went and had my yearly mammogram.

Today for the first time ever, the office called, left me a message and asked me to call them back.

Of course, I got the message too late to call them back.  I will have to wait until morning to see what they want.

Trying to stay positive, but am feeling resigned.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 11:17:44 pm by delalluvia »

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Wish me luck
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 07:53:51 pm »
My thoughts are with you, friend. Don't get too resigned...oftentimes women are asked to come in for "more views." This can be more mammogram views or maybe a sonogram. I have dense breasts  (:P) so I always have to get more views or a sonogram. I also had a prominent lump in my right breast which my doctor pointed out to me when I had my yearly exam on the last day of June several years ago. She advised me to make an appointment for a mammogram immediately. I called all around but nobody could see me until after the July 4 holiday. So, I had to go through all the festivities thinking I was going to die soon! When I finally was able to have my sonogram, the nurse said, "I think this is a good lump." I didn't know a lump could be good! But it was...the doctor confirmed that it was a harmless cyst filled with water. I could have it "aspirated" if I wanted, but I declined. A few months later, it went away.

Take heart, friend.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 08:12:58 pm »
This is quite typical.  If they thought it was a serious problem they would have kept phoning until they got you to come in RIGHT DAMN NOW.  Leaving a message is because they need an additional view or two because mammograms are simply x-rays and they throw shadows.  I've had the call-back thing twice out of three mammograms - and I was almost surprised the third time that I DIDN't get a callback.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 08:19:46 pm »
Thanks friends.  Will keep these in mind.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 09:15:53 am »
*sigh*

I had hoped to have an answer today, but I don't.  The person said, "Oh, there was movement on one of your scans and they want you come back in."

So I was relieved for a split second as I said, "Oh it was just a bad scan?"

She said, "Yes, can you come in Thursday?  We want you to take a scan while the doctor is here and she can see them right away."

My heart sunk and I was like, "Why does the doctor need to see them right away?"

The woman replied, "Oh we don't want you to go home and the doctor find something that she wants you to have more tests on and then have to have you come in a 3rd time."

It didn't sound convincing to me, but then nothing right now would sound convincing.

But there is still some hope.

I will let you know [fingers crossed].

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 09:46:46 am »
My fingers are crossed for you too! In the meantime, try to relax. Hopefully you have some project you could lose yourself in. Or maybe a good movie??
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 10:53:29 am »
Good luck, del!  These things often turn out to be okay.  My last mammo had a similar recall and outcome.  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 11:56:25 am »
*fingers crossed*

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 01:52:48 pm »
I have my fingers crossed for you. I'm sure its just precaution and a nurse with bad customer skills.

But its good you get them done yearly. In Scotland you dont get a mammogram on a regular basis (actaully at all unless there is a reason) until you are 50.

If you are aged between 50 and 70, you will be routinely invited for mammograms every three years.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 03:11:44 pm »
Good luck Del! :-*
I know the feeling of someone pulling the rug out under you that you have when you get such a call.
The good news is that in by far the most cases everything turns out to be all right.

Also, mammogramms are known to tend to give wrong possitive results.
This tendency is higher, the younger women are. That's why in Germany (I guess it's similar in Scotland) only women between 50 and 70 are routinely screened. For women under 50, the densitiy of the breat tissue is higher, which leads to a too high quote of wrong positive results. So there are no mass screenings in the <50 age group.

I know, all available info can't take away the fear. But maybe it helps to handle it better.
(((Del)))