Author Topic: Good books on Wyoming?  (Read 9839 times)

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
Re: Good books on Wyoming?
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 12:13:07 pm »
I would be happy to send you Crazy Woman Creek.

And, here's the discussion thread from The Virginian. Let's revive it, it's only been four effin' years!!
That´s awful nice of you, Lee, but I´ll buy it from eBay and save you the trouble.

Oh, a whole thread! very cool. I´ll check it out.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 05:07:01 pm »
. John McPhee wrote a three-volume nonfiction series including Rising from the Plain about Wyoming geology.
I´m currently reding this one and finding it quite useful as well as entertaining. Next time I visit Wyoming, I will for sure look at the landscape around me in a different light.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 08:28:29 pm »
At a recent party at my local bookstore, a person recommended the novels of Craig Johnson when I said I liked C. J. Box. I'm reading his The Dark Horse now. I found his style clipped and annoying at first but now I'm really starting to like it. The novel is about a Wyoming misfit, Walt Longmire. Stay tuned.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 03:34:55 pm »
I can't say that I would recommend Craig Johnson's books. In fact, I'm just about ready to jettison The Dark Horse in the middle of it for several reasons.

Are you familiar with the Roundup Magazine published by the Western Writers of America? It isn't published very often but is full of writing samples, photos, and articles about the profession.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2011, 04:14:02 pm »
I can't say that I would recommend Craig Johnson's books. In fact, I'm just about ready to jettison The Dark Horse in the middle of it for several reasons.

Are you familiar with the Roundup Magazine published by the Western Writers of America? It isn't published very often but is full of writing samples, photos, and articles about the profession.
Too bad The Dark Horse didn´t live up to your expectations, Lee!

No, I´ve never heard of it. I´ll definately check it out. Thanks, Lee!

I´ve been looking up Wyoming bloggers as of late, but it´s been hard to find much of interest. One blogger I do follow is a woman writing about her´s and her husband´s move from California to Wyoming and their new life there. They bought a piece of land near Cody and then built their own house.
http://newlifewy.blogspot.com/

This might be a longshot, but does anyone know anything about the northern alignment of the Lincoln Highway, that is pictured on the attached postcard (and that bypasses Sage)? I´ve never seen it on other maps of the Lincoln Highway, but just the southern one. It´s a mystery to me.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2011, 06:38:33 pm »
Thanks for the link to that blog. Now I'm a follower too! I'm very interested in the chicken coop they're putting in.

Maybe Pete Tannen would know about that stretch of the Lincoln Highway. He knows a lot about history and geography. He hardly ever comes here anymore so you should send him a PM. I was just on that road in early October, returning to Denver from Salt Lake City. I had hoped to see some scenic country after reading Annie Proulx's Red Desert, but alas, it was pretty nondescript. I couldn't see far enough to the south to see the Flaming Gorge area which I'm told is very scenic. Then, around Wolcott, I wanted to turn south and go into Colorado on the west side of the Continental Divide, but I could see that a storm was brewing that way, so I went over to Laramie and down the 127 Highway through Tie Siding and some pastoral country to the sprawling metropolis of Fort Collins. It was bumper to bumper going across town where I caught I-25 for the cruise into Denver and back, sigh, to civilization.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2011, 03:00:56 pm »
Thanks for reminding me Lee!

Monika, you should ask Fritz! He knows everything about driving in the USA!!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2011, 03:10:38 pm »
Thanks, Lee and Sonja! I´ll get in touch with both Pete and Fritz.

Thanks for describing your drive, Lee. To have those areas so close to home...*sigh*  :)

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 12:56:28 pm »
Today I got my last book purchase in the mail.

Ancient Visions - Petroglyphs and Pictographs of the Wind River and Bighorn Country, Wyoming and Montana
(Phew! that´s one long title)

Looks interesting!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2012, 10:51:02 am »
At a recent party at my local bookstore, a person recommended the novels of Craig Johnson when I said I liked C. J. Box. I'm reading his The Dark Horse now. I found his style clipped and annoying at first but now I'm really starting to like it. The novel is about a Wyoming misfit, Walt Longmire. Stay tuned.

Craig Johnson's Walt Longmire mysteries have now inspired a TV series on A&E. The series just had it's season finale last night (Sunday, Aug. 12, 2012), and I was happy to learn that it has been renewed for a second season.

I don't know how close the series resembles the novels, or whether any of the episodes are taken from the novels. I also haven't read any of the novels, but I want to check them out. But in any case I have really gotten into this series--which is possibly a reflection of how much I miss Wyoming. It's also true that show combines two genres, contemporary Western and police procedural, both of which I enjoy.

In the TV series anyway, Walt Longmire is the sheriff of the fictional Absaroka County, Wyoming. I bear in mind, however,  that "Absaroka" is sort of the nickname for the region east of the Big Horn Mountains and extending up into Montana "where the rivers run north." Also, Craig Johnson, author of the novels, lives in Ucross, which is on the county line between Johnson and Sheridan counties, Wyoming. So those of us who have been to Buffalo and Sheridan and across and up to Lightning Flat can enivision the geography of the area. Unfortunately the series is not actually filmed in Wyoming; it's filmed in New Mexico, near Santa Fe. Still, the show has a real feel of place to it. I've also gotten into all the characters.

If the first season is released on DVD I expect I will buy it.

Here's a link to the IMdB entry for the show:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1836037/

FRiend Lee, is there any update on The Dark Horse?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.