Author Topic: Is the cinematic age of the Period piece gone? 2011's Three Musketeers  (Read 14830 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Can't even begin to tell you how awful this looks.  If you can take casting as a hint, check out who plays the Duke of Buckingham:  :P :P :P

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi1451924505/

Can no history piece be done now - especially rollicking ones - without pandering to the teenage audiences with short-term attention spans?

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
Can't even begin to tell you how awful this looks.  If you can take casting as a hint, check out who plays the Duke of Buckingham:  :P :P :P

oh, who cares about Orlando Bloom when Matthew Macfadyen is in it??

O0

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Stupid video wouldn't load for me.  >:(

I'm an old troll who lives in a cave. I recognized only four names on the cast list.  :-\

I don't see anything wrong with Orlando Bloom as the duke of Buckingham. He's still pretty enough for the part. That was always Orlando's chief talent anyway, being pretty.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
 :laugh:

I didn't know there were so many opportunities for explosions in that time period.  They mined them all.  ;D

It reminds me of the Robert Downey, Jr., Sherlock Holmes movie.  Slick, sarcastic and swift, with nothing much to do with authenticity.  They'll leave the hard work to Masterpiece Theater.  In the meantime, Matthew Macfadyen, yay!  Ray Stevenson, too.  Anybody see him in HBO's "Rome"?  Lovely.  And Orlando is pretty and seems right at home.  Not much of a stretch from the Pirates movies.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline delalluvia

:laugh:

I didn't know there were so many opportunities for explosions in that time period.  They mined them all.  ;D

It reminds me of the Robert Downey, Jr., Sherlock Holmes movie.  Slick, sarcastic and swift, with nothing much to do with authenticity.  They'll leave the hard work to Masterpiece Theater.  In the meantime, Matthew Macfadyen, yay!  Ray Stevenson, too.  Anybody see him in HBO's "Rome"?  Lovely.  And Orlando is pretty and seems right at home.  Not much of a stretch from the Pirates movies.  8)

I didn't recognize MacFadyen - course, I never do unless he has the hair from Pride and Prejudice.  Ray Stevenson's Titus Pullo in HBO's Rome was my man.

OK, so while that particular Duke of Buckingham has been referred to by historians as a 'peacock with a pretty face' and the 'darling' of a couple of English kings and Orlando fits the bill...I dunno, I guess you're right, not much of a stretch, except for the 'taking over the world' bit.

But ye gods, from what girls school did they find the actor who plays D'Artagnan?

Offline delalluvia

Stupid video wouldn't load for me.  >:(

I'm an old troll who lives in a cave. I recognized only four names on the cast list.  :-\

I don't see anything wrong with Orlando Bloom as the duke of Buckingham. He's still pretty enough for the part. That was always Orlando's chief talent anyway, being pretty.

You didn't miss much,Jeff - except Matrix/Wanted-movie like stunts, women being 'expert' swordswomen and fighting in period dress and steampunk-like blimps firing guns at each other like pirate ships.  :P

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
You didn't miss much,Jeff - except Matrix/Wanted-movie like stunts, women being 'expert' swordswomen and fighting in period dress and steampunk-like blimps firing guns at each other like pirate ships.  :P

Ye gods ... and goddesses. ...  :P

Of course, I've seen plenty of women who are expert with a sword dueling in period dresses at SCA reenactment events. I once told a friend that she reminded me of the old line about Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers: She does everything her swordsman boyfriend does, but she does it in a corset and a dress.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

Ye gods ... and goddesses. ...  :P

Of course, I've seen plenty of women who are expert with a sword dueling in period dresses at SCA reenactment events. I once told a friend that she reminded me of the old line about Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers: She does everything her swordsman boyfriend does, but she does it in a corset and a dress.  ;D

Of course women can be expert swordswomen at SCA events in Period dress.  But I'd hate to try it in real life, in a life and death match when an opponent can simply grasp your big skirt and trip you up.

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
Of course women can be expert swordswomen at SCA events in Period dress.  But I'd hate to try it in real life, in a life and death match when an opponent can simply grasp your big skirt and trip you up.

Well, sure, if you just stand there and let him grab it.

Offline delalluvia

Well, sure, if you just stand there and let him grab it.

Spoken like a man who hasn't worn a period dress.  The dress doesn't always follow when and where you want it to.  ;D