Author Topic: Sweetgrass  (Read 34573 times)

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Sweetgrass
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 12:46:51 pm »
Halfway through this film now.  Kind of sickening and sad what sheepherders had/have to go through -- I had no idea.  BBM makes it look so romantic and dreamy, but reality seems to be that it's just kind of incredibly lonely and gross and hard.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2010, 11:32:54 pm »
No offense meant toward those who liked this movie, but between the one guy handling sheep shit with his bare hands, the other guy urinating in front of the camera, the dogs eating the dead sheep's entrails, and the young guy using every curse word in the book within the span of two minutes, I was not too entertained by it.  I finally gave up at the 1:32 mark when the old guy punches the horse in the face.  Didn't really care to see what happened after that point.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2011, 10:10:01 am »
Sweetgrass will be on the PBS show "POV" tonight!  :)

http://www.pbs.org/pov/sweetgrass/photo_gallery_sweetgrass.php
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2011, 10:22:43 am »
I noticed the listing in TV Guide. I thought the title sounded familiar.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2011, 10:58:33 am »
Thanks for the heads up, I wouil like to see that again.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2011, 11:52:34 am »
Thanks for the heads up, I wouil like to see that again.

Hello, I've been meaning to thank you for your review of the film, but I never got around to it.  Forgive me.   :-*  I want you to know that I did read it, and I found it very entertaining and helpful.  I never had a chance to see Sweetgrass in the theaters, and I'm going to try and watch it on PBS.  I'm looking forward to it!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2011, 12:19:09 pm »
I watched an hour of the film last night. It came on our local PBS affiliate at 10:00 p.m., and I quit at 11:00 p.m. because I had to be up for work this morning.

I felt that what I saw was interesting, but I also feel it would have benefited from some voice-over narration, for example, some information behind the history of taking the flocks of sheep to the high pastures for the summer, who owned the sheep, some information on the guys who were tending the sheep, that sort of things. Without this, I found it a little boring at times.

Still, in the hour of the program that I watched, it was amazing how many sights looked familiar. They certainly "got it right" in Brokeback Mountain.

As I watched the one guy put up that pyramind tent, I found myself saying to myself, "Tent don't look right."  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2011, 02:41:07 pm »
Thanks for the review, friend. People have compared it to the recent film Tree of Life in that way.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2011, 03:15:48 pm »
Thanks for the review, friend. People have compared it to the recent film Tree of Life in that way.

I would have liked to have seen the whole movie. I just couldn't sit up that late on a "school night."  :-\

In one scene, I felt sort of sorry for the ewe when the hand sort of yanks the lamb out of her vagina.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2011, 12:23:23 am »
I´ve had Sweergrass on my HD for months, it´s about time I got around to watch it ::)