Author Topic: American teen's unusual talent - singing Chinese opera  (Read 1840 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
American teen's unusual talent - singing Chinese opera
« on: July 27, 2011, 07:13:03 pm »
Wow, that can't be easy!

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) — Tyler Thompson is an unlikely star in the world of Chinese opera.
The black teenager from Oakland has captivated audiences in the U.S. and China with his ability to sing pitch-perfect Mandarin and perform the ancient Chinese art form.

http://news.yahoo.com/black-teens-unusual-talent-singing-chinese-opera-070331935.html

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: American teen's unusual talent - singing Chinese opera
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 08:24:30 pm »
Thanks for posting, as my mom and I were wondering what happened to this child.  He was a student at Lincoln School which is almost 90% Asian, and began his singing career there.  He was often on the local news.  I was surprised to see that he also is/was a student at my daughter's alma mater: Oakland School for The Arts.  Kids at OSA are doing great things; a group who are currently finalists on America's Got Talent are OSA students.

I'll have to ask my daughter if she knows Tyler.  OSA is so small that the kids all know one another.  But he could have arrived as she was leaving.  She definitely knows all the kids on America's Got Talent.