Author Topic: New Documentary - Queens & Cowboys - A Straight Year On The Gay Rodeo  (Read 12766 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Hiya BetterMost friends!

I've been sent information on a new documentary coming out by Todd Garrett.  Todd is a friend of Gene & Rich, and a very active member of the IGRA (International Gay Rodeo Association).

A straight filmmaker has been creating a documentary that he hopes to get released soon, and Todd passed the link to the site for it on to you, so that you could see the trailer and learn about the movie.  His words were "I think the Brokies would like this."

Here is the link to the site, and the trailer is right on that page.  Gene is featured in the trailer a few times.  The movie is called "Queens & Cowboys - A Straight Year on the Gay Rodeo".

Check it out, I think you'll like it!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1104572845/queens-and-cowboys-a-straight-year-on-the-gay-rode

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: New Documentary - Queens & Cowboys - A Straight Year On The Gay Rodeo
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 11:08:07 am »
Sounds fab! Will have a look at this once I'm at home tonight!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 11:45:18 am »
You're right, I like it a lot! Sounds like a really interesting documentary. Hope it'll come to pass.
It's great seeing Gene in the trailer. :)

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 11:58:13 am »
I agree. It looks very interesting.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 12:37:12 pm »
Oh my gosh, this preview is beautiful, interesting, and very touching as well.   The sky and mountain scenery is just knock-out gorgeous too.    You can really see how Jake and I'm sure the others in the cast of Brokeback Mountain got their dialects just right - the young cowboy with the tattoos who injured his artery rodeoin', I can almost hear Jack Twist's voice saying "I might be back, etc. etc.".    A great story.  Thanks!  :)
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 08:36:23 pm »
Glad you all like it, hope more members see it and post up.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 05:26:58 pm »
Just a quick update from director Matt Livadary, with 9 days to go, the film is 70% funded.

;D

Looking to reach $35,000.00, the film is currently at $25,245.00.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1104572845/queens-and-cowboys-a-straight-year-on-the-gay-rode/posts/111005#comment-310571

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 08:06:58 pm »
Inching closer to the deadline, and getting closer to goal.

The total they're at is 31,100.00 raised.  Matt Livadary needs to get $3,900.00 more in 3 days.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 09:21:50 pm »

I watched the promo, and it certainly seems like a really cool project.  And, you also know that I'm quite a bull riding fan. 

My one major critique is that the women involved in this organization seem nearly invisible in the promo (and the title).  The mention the fact that "cowgirls" are involved in the gay rodeo, but their role is not explain and are given next to zero time in the promo.  It's certainly important to highlight the importance of gay men in the rodeo organization, but I hope the lesbians aren't completely marginalized.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 09:46:55 pm »
I agree with you on that, Amanda. Women are a driving force on the gay rodeo circuit and I doubt if it would exist without them!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 01:14:56 pm »
Hiya Amanda!

You could ask Matt Livadary yourself, if you like.  I've sent him messages on Facebook and he seems very friendly and accomodating.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=3409806

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 02:27:01 pm »
Just getting round to seeing this. Looks good. Have donated a tiny $5 as I'm feeling a little poor this monthg but hey, its better than nothing...

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 05:51:42 am »
I watched the promo, and it certainly seems like a really cool project.  And, you also know that I'm quite a bull riding fan. 

My one major critique is that the women involved in this organization seem nearly invisible in the promo (and the title).  The mention the fact that "cowgirls" are involved in the gay rodeo, but their role is not explain and are given next to zero time in the promo.  It's certainly important to highlight the importance of gay men in the rodeo organization, but I hope the lesbians aren't completely marginalized.

Hiya Amanda,

I spoke to Todd Garrett tonight, he is in the trailer, he is the one who makes the comment about Matt being able to become a cowboy, maybe an urban cowboy.

I mentioned your comments, and he said that (in his opinion) lesbians do get fair representation in the film.  He said that if you have any questions, you can get a message to him on his Facebook page, he'll be happy to answer questions.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 06:02:53 am »
Hiya Film fans!

Just wanted to give you an update regarding "Queens & Cowboys" that I mention at the top of page 128.

Here is some information about Matt:

Matt Livadary is a passionate filmmaker and proud Los Angeles native. After graduating from USC's Cinema School, he worked for several years at the prestigious Creative Artists Agency, where he worked with clients such as Ang Lee, Spike Jonze and Cameron Crowe. In 2008, Matt worked as a story editor for Apparatus, the film production company of acclaimed director Marc Forster (QUANTUM OF SOLACE, STRANGER THAN FICTION, FINDING NEVERLAND, MONSTER'S BALL, etc) whose diverse projects appealed to Matt's eclectic taste. Armed with an arsenal of story development and production experience, Matt amicably left the company in 2010 in order to direct full time.

Matt prides with a talent for showcasing sentimental but still broadly appealing content -- a filmmaker unafraid to show the size of his heart onscreen. He's a jolly optimist, a ruthless self-critic and believes in expanding his own potential daily.

Film maker Matt Livadary was using the Kickstart website to get funding to help the film get off the ground.  He wants to raise $35,000.00 by the end of today (8/31/2011).  As of today, he surpassed that goal, raising $35,728.00.

Todd Garrett (who is in the film, and told me about this project) asked me to thank you all for any support you gave to Matt.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 06:30:47 pm »
I want to share this with you.  It's a Facebook update from Matt Livadary.  Todd Garrett told him that word of his movie had been spread to the Brokeback forums, and that some of us supported his project.

Matt Livadary
GRATITUDE

For every piece of borrowed equipment all year, Tweets sent to Ellen Degeneres, emails sent to friends, re-emails sent to friends, couches to crash on, Facebook likes & re-posts, messages of support, rides to and from airports, Brokeback Mountain enthusiasts, articles and features written, the generosity of friends and strangers, the heart of the IGRA, a family whose support is beyond com...parison, and every single dollar from 320 people who came together in their belief in this enough to chip in during one of the most inopportune economic times. It's certainly a lot to live up to, but I can't tell you what an honor it is to get such an opportunity -- I'm excited to show what all of our hard work can amount to. Sincerely, thank you everyone.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 05:52:39 am »
A recent posting from Matt Livadary on Kickstarter.

A HUGE THANK YOU TO EVERYONE!

WE DID IT!! I know I've worn out the term by now, but thank you. I can't tell you how overwhelmed with gratitude I am for everyone banding together to make this happen. It was an insanely difficult feat to overcome, but it's now a huge vote of confidence for this film's potential. It wouldn't have been possible without every person who pledged, re-posted, sent the link out to friends and family (and apparently repeated posts to an entire international underworld of Brokeback Mountain enthusiasts?? Awesome.). You all humble and honor me with your encouragement over the past 30 days, and I'll continue working until the final frame is done in order to deserve it.

I'm so touched by the new names I learned on the backers list, as well as IGRA members, old friends and family who came together to make this campaign a success. The support, feedback and kind messages and comments you've given me are what will continue to drive me forward in making the best film I possibly can, one that I hope will make you proud. As I've said to some, this is certainly a great deal to live up to, but I couldn't be more honored or thrilled to get the chance.

As for the timeline of the film, I'm hoping to be able to release in Spring of 2012. The IGRA still has another 2 months of events, so principal photography will officially conclude in November, but I'll be sure to keep everyone updated as to how post-production is going -- I'm going to design a blog into the upcoming www.queensandcowboys.com that will soon host updates and pertinent info.

Over the next week or so, those who donated will be receiving an email requesting information so we can get you your hard earned swag! -- things like addresses, t-shirt sizes, etc. There are many people from all over the country who have graciously donated for this cause, so most items will be delivered after Finals in October (minus, obviously, the dvd of the film). Thank you all for your patience while we collect all the donations and prepare them for shipment.

But man, what a relief! This has been a long, stressful and crazy month, but one of the most fulfilling I've ever had. Thank you all for being a part of it, for your hard work and dedication in getting us funded, and for believing in me and this project. I can't wait to show off the final product!

With huge appreciation,

Matt

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2011, 05:55:09 am »
Great news that it made its target - it was a few thousand pound off earlier in the week when I sponsored it, and i wondered if it would make it. So the £35K allows it to be produced properly and then aired at cinemas? Presumably he has all the footage already and just needs to get it in to a workable format.

How much will gene be featured? I noticed his feature in the trailer and of course it made me think of Rich and how proud he would be.  

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2011, 07:42:30 am »
A recent posting from Matt Livadary on Kickstarter.

A HUGE THANK YOU TO EVERYONE!

WE DID IT!! I know I've worn out the term by now, but thank you. I can't tell you how overwhelmed with gratitude I am for everyone banding together to make this happen. It was an insanely difficult feat to overcome, but it's now a huge vote of confidence for this film's potential. It wouldn't have been possible without every person who pledged, re-posted, sent the link out to friends and family (and apparently repeated posts to an entire international underworld of Brokeback Mountain enthusiasts?? Awesome.). You all humble and honor me with your encouragement over the past 30 days, and I'll continue working until the final frame is done in order to deserve it.

Hello, my name is Chrissi and I'm a member of an international underworld.... ;) :laugh:

Chuckie, you should contatct the guy (Matt) directly thru his FB site, or leave a comment on the kickstarter site, tell him a short sentence about our community.

I'm glad to see he reached his goal and this project will come off the gound! :)

Keep us updated, Chuckie, when it's done, willya?

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2011, 09:25:43 am »

Hello, my name is Chrissi and I'm a member of an international underworld.... ;) :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh:

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2011, 03:01:14 pm »
Maybe his next project could be a documentary featuring an entire international underworld of Brokeback Mountain enthusiasts....? 

Just saying.....   8) 8)

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2011, 03:21:51 pm »
And here I thought the first rule of the international underworld of Brokeback Mountain club was "Do not talk about the international underworld of Brokeback Mountain club"...

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2011, 03:41:36 pm »
And here I thought the first rule of the international underworld of Brokeback Mountain club was "Do not talk about the international underworld of Brokeback Mountain club"...

I like the Ed Norton. :)

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2012, 07:33:18 pm »

A message from Matt Livadary (above) arrived today to say that the official website for the movie is up.

You can find links for The Story, updates, press, a place for further donations, and a contact section, as well as a list of supporters (I found my name ;) ) on the site.  You can also scroll down and see the trailer for the movie.

http://www.queensandcowboys.com/

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2012, 01:35:18 pm »
oooh.. so is mine...

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2023, 03:40:30 pm »
I just found out that this is on YouTube for free during pride month.

Queens and Cowboys: A Straight Year on the Gay Rodeo

Directors:  Tyler Kellner & Matt Livadary
Writer:  Matt Livadary

Queens & Cowboys chronicles a complete season of the International Gay Rodeo Association. Roping and riding across North America for the past 30 years, the IGRA's courageous cowboys and cowgirls brave challenges both in and out of the arena on their quest to qualify for the World Finals at the end of the season. And along the way, they'll bust every stereotype in the book.

The trailer: 

Full movie: 

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2023, 11:17:56 pm »
Wow, that's something I want to watch...thanks, friend!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2023, 02:52:21 pm »
You're welcome, Lee!

I watched it yesterday, it was really well done!