Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain on Oprah  (Read 21897 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Brokeback Mountain on Oprah
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 01:23:48 pm »
I think Oprah is an idiot.  I've thought so for a long time, and this show just proved it all the more to me.  I agree that the "questions" she asked showed that she either a.) didn't get the film or b.) didn't watch it.  I'm leaning towards the former.  Anyone who can say it didn't occur to them that Lureen knew who Ennis was when he said "Me and Jack herded sheep up on Brokeback in the summer of '63" missed one helluva good movie.

And I agree, too, that the cast were quite gracious, all things considered.  I especially enjoyed Jake's "What're ya gettin' at?" when she kept pressing the kiss thing.  Heath was particularly lovely, I thought.

And yes, campaigning for a movie to win the Best Picture Oscar when you are not a paid representative of that movie's production company is flat out wrong.  I don't care if you're Jesus Christ (and God knows she thinks she is).
No more beans!

Offline HerrKaiser

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 01:33:06 pm »
I think Oprah is an idiot.  I've thought so for a long time, and this show just proved it all the more to me.  I agree that the "questions" she asked showed that she either a.) didn't get the film or b.) didn't watch it.  I'm leaning towards the former.  Anyone who can say it didn't occur to them that Lureen knew who Ennis was when he said "Me and Jack herded sheep up on Brokeback in the summer of '63" missed one helluva good movie.

And I agree, too, that the cast were quite gracious, all things considered.  I especially enjoyed Jake's "What're ya gettin' at?" when she kept pressing the kiss thing.  Heath was particularly lovely, I thought.

And yes, campaigning for a movie to win the Best Picture Oscar when you are not a paid representative of that movie's production company is flat out wrong.  I don't care if you're Jesus Christ (and God knows she thinks she is).

AMEN BABY!

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2006, 01:59:36 pm »
Yeah ednbarby that makes me think of the interview the McMurtry and Ossana gave, he says when Ennis goes tothe Twist's house it becomes a great movie, I think when he calls Lureen it becomes great, the account have to start being paid at that point.

Sorry to get off on a tangent.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2006, 02:01:41 pm »
I agree, the interview was typical Oprah.

Curiously, why do so many refer to Ennis and Jack as "the boys"; and their being "cute" to me deflates them to children-ish level...needing coddling and sort of unable to handle their lives; somehow deficient which is how so many people think about gay men. To me, the spirit of each man and that of the film as well as the larger gay arena should grant them the status of "the men". Just my opinion! thanks!

I don't see anything wrong with referring to Jack and Ennis as "the boys". I do it all the time, and I'm gay. Let's face it, when they first met each other in 1963, they were still teenagers.... boys.

I think most people say it because they feel affection for the boys.  They certainly don't say it to demean or ridicule gay people. If it was demeaning, why in the world would I say it?
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2006, 02:14:00 pm »
Curiously, why do so many refer to Ennis and Jack as "the boys"; and their being "cute" to me deflates them to children-ish level...needing coddling and sort of unable to handle their lives; somehow deficient which is how so many people think about gay men. To me, the spirit of each man and that of the film as well as the larger gay arena should grant them the status of "the men". Just my opinion! thanks!

I know what you mean, but I've seen Annie herself refer to Ennis and Jack as "the boys" from time to time, at least when speaking about their days on the mountain.   On this site, depending on the context, I mostly see the term as affectionate.  :)

I don't care if you're Jesus Christ (and God knows she thinks she is).

:laugh:

Y'get yer point across, Barb.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2006, 03:06:07 pm »
In the collection "Boys Like Us" Allen Gurganius (author of Last Surviving Confederate Widow Tells All) speaks of the buy term. In his small town in North Carolina, the librarian and florist and their friends were refered to as "The Boys", which he didn't perceive maliciously, but it seemed to him like the towns people were saying they were less than men.

But yeah, Jack and Ennis will always be my boys. 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 08:13:16 am by shakestheground »
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline HerrKaiser

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2006, 03:49:29 pm »
If it was demeaning, why in the world would I say it?

Don't know. Often, terms used and words spoken are viewed as demeaning or offensive by others than those who speak them. That's why we have political correctness.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2006, 12:19:06 am »
Don't know. Often, terms used and words spoken are viewed as demeaning or offensive by others than those who speak them. That's why we have political correctness.

Bullshit. How can I be politically incorrect towards myself or my orientation?
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

mvansand76

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2006, 07:29:31 am »
Bullshit. How can I be politically incorrect towards myself or my orientation?

I completely agree... let's go back and see where this discussion started... calling them 'the boys', now how did we get from that innocent phrasing to a serious subject such as political correctness?

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2006, 07:52:24 am »
Calling Jack and Ennis "the boys",is definately a term of affection, and is not meant as demeaning or childish towards them....

When I say "the boys", thats all I need to say, everyone on here knows who I mean.....I think it makes them feel like family......

I still refer to my two sons as "the boys", and they are 35 and 31 yrs old......
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection