Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain on Oprah  (Read 21681 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Brokeback Mountain on Oprah
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2006, 05:53:46 pm »
Who said that?????

Jake said that on Oprah.  Not in exactly those words.  I think he was saying that had they known it would be such a cultural phenomenon, they might not have done it.  Which is not to say they regretted doing it - they just may have seen it as a more daunting task from the beginning.

And I don't think Oprah's questions were good in any context.  But then I think she asks idiotic questions about everything, so I'm not the most objective person in the world when it comes to her.  I will say that the question that annoyed me the most (and that's saying a lot) was the one about their relationship with each other after they were both married being "conflicting" and the way she emphasized that word.   ::)

To me, if all you see in this movie is a couple of guys having an illicit affair and hurting their wives and families in the process, you've totally missed the boat.  And to me, that's all she saw.
No more beans!

Offline HerrKaiser

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2006, 06:07:38 pm »

To me, if all you see in this movie is a couple of guys having an illicit affair and hurting their wives and families in the process, you've totally missed the boat.  And to me, that's all she saw.

True enough. Oprah is simply way too busy to be any more than extremely superficial on most subjects she covers. Planning daily shows is daunting and she is just very, very topline; no depth or true 'getting into the meat' of it; even though BBM should not have required a course to 'get it'! A good friend of mine is a good friend of hers, and that is how she apparently has to be for her particular business situation. too bad since for the BBM segment, it really could have been much better.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2006, 06:08:52 pm »
Who said that?????

Jake did  - somebody's having trouble typing - like that never happens to the rest of us boys (right David & Bill(seaweed)?)
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

injest

« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2006, 08:19:52 pm »
Jake did  - somebody's having trouble typing - like that never happens to the rest of us boys (right David & Bill(seaweed)?)

no I think you did ok with THIS particular post....now all the other posts you have made...... :-\

;D

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2006, 09:35:53 pm »
I wasnt being critical of your spelling or your post.....I really did think you meant to write "Kake", and I wondered who the hell that was..

Its been a while since I saw the tape of that Oprah show, so cant remember all the text, I just remember, that I didnt much like the way Oprah pressed embarrassing questions at them.

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2006, 09:45:48 pm »
I wasnt being critical of your spelling or your post.....I really did think you meant to write "Kake", and I wondered who the hell that was..

Its been a while since I saw the tape of that Oprah show, so cant remember all the text, I just remember, that I didnt much like the way Oprah pressed embarrassing questions at them.

Hi Katie
I was the one that wrote Kake, cant type worth s****. I thought the Opral show, taken in the context it was presented was positive and not meant to reslove any deep questions. All the actors were in every way supportive of the film.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2006, 09:50:24 pm »
yaeh......i mkae spllellign eorros two.....we aill dooooo.....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2006, 12:08:04 am »

What the hell does it mean? I'm not entirely sure either Sue.

It's a television station isn't it?

Or does it mean something else?

God. What the hell does it mean?
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2006, 12:14:18 am »
What the hell does it mean? I'm not entirely sure either Sue.

It's a television station isn't it?

Or does it mean something else?

God. What the hell does it mean?

Ah C'mon David - It's just a small typo the"J" of Jake is right there next to the "K" of Kake on your keyboard - He intended the word Jake - just a small typo (It's not like we're on a Tom of Finland site here, you know (HAHA))
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2006, 12:19:44 am »
I completely agree... let's go back and see where this discussion started... calling them 'the boys', now how did we get from that innocent phrasing to a serious subject such as political correctness?

It's even worse than that Melissa. This thread started by you innocently asking where on the Internet you could find a copy of the "Oprah" show.

These threads sometimes remind me of that "telephone" game. You know the game, don't you? One person will whisper something into the next person's ear; something like "President Bush is an idiot" and by the time it gets to the last person in the line it has changed to something completely different, like "Your dog needs a bath".

It certainly keeps things interesting. But it's very weird.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.