Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain on Oprah  (Read 21680 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Brokeback Mountain on Oprah
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2006, 12:14:08 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I have seen the Oprah BBM show twice, neither time recently.  But I remember being so annoyed with her reaction.  Didn't she show great astonishment that men like the Ennis and Jack characters could be gay?  I think she marvelled something like, "And not a lisp or a swish between them!"  That she would perpetuate a stereotype out loud like that was very offensive to me.  I agree with what's been said here about how well Heath and Jake and Anne and Michelle handled it. 

As for calling them 'the boys,' my only disagreement is over the spelling - I feel much more comfortable with the appropriately proper-nouned Our Boys. :)  I try to use that appelation for Ennis and Jack only, not Heath and Jake the real people. 

Offline Br. Patrick

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "So what're we gonna do now?"
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2006, 02:35:09 pm »
I have seen the Oprah BBM show twice, neither time recently.  But I remember being so annoyed with her reaction.  Didn't she show great astonishment that men like the Ennis and Jack characters could be gay?  I think she marvelled something like, "And not a lisp or a swish between them!"  That she would perpetuate a stereotype out loud like that was very offensive to me.  I agree with what's been said here about how well Heath and Jake and Anne and Michelle handled it. 

I downloaded the show from the link above.  I couldn't believe the way she treated OUR BOYS.  Limp wrists and swishing indeed.   She just missed the whole point.  Heath and Jake handled it Very Well!
Lean on me, let our hearts beat in time,
Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long.
Who cares where we go on this rugged old road
In a world that may say that we're wrong.

...Cause I know - A love that will never grow old.

Gustavo Santaolalla & Bernie Taupin

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2006, 03:05:56 pm »
I downloaded the show from the link above.  I couldn't believe the way she treated OUR BOYS.  Limp wrists and swishing indeed.   She just missed the whole point.  Heath and Jake handled it Very Well!

Yep.  She just sank the nail into her own coffin for me on that one and proved what I'd known for a long time.  Idiot.  And Heath and Jake and Michelle and Anne just made me adore all four of them more.
No more beans!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2008, 05:22:46 pm »
Any video link(s) on Oprah and Brokeback Mountain still working?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2008, 06:13:50 pm »
IHeartJake has it. here's the link. Scroll down towards the end of that page.

Yes, this link provided by Mikaela still seems to be working.
"chewing gum and duct tape"