Author Topic: Christian Domestic Discipline  (Read 231779 times)

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Christian Domestic Discipline
« Reply #90 on: September 19, 2011, 10:33:05 pm »
Yes, it is. It isn't necessarily where people want it--and perhaps you missed my parenthetical comment about Texas, which was not meant as a joke--but the total amount of water on the planet is not diminishing. It's easier to clean up water than it is to go on indefinitely taking up land to bury poopie disposable diapers.

I agree with you about the fountains in Las Vegas. I also remember when people moved to the Southwest to escape the flora and climate of the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic, and instead they've just replicated that flora in the Southwest (lawns, plants not native to the area), and it takes water to do that. That was just plain stupid.

But ill-advised and stupid misuse of water resources by ill-advised and stupid people does not mean that water is not a renewable resource. As long as rain continues on the planet, water will be a renewable resource.

Yeah, I've always thought that was a misunderstood problem. I can see why it's not wise to waste water in the West. But in Minnesota, Land of 10,000 Lakes (and actually more than that), it always seems like kind of a non-issue.

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #91 on: September 19, 2011, 10:51:28 pm »
Fresh water isn't a renewable resource.

Nuclear reactors are used to de-salinize sea water in some places.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #92 on: September 19, 2011, 10:57:44 pm »
Letting God do his will is basically letting nature take its course.  If it meant his death or his health was at risk, I daresay he'd interrupt God's will with medical treatment and surgery, but not when it comes to family planning and birth control.

LOL!!!

Del, men have been putting themselves at personal risk in a multitude of ways for humanity's entire history in order to ensure the survival of the species, tribe, country, and family. So I don't think men would shirk the responsibility of bearing children if that were the case. Honorable men would step up to the plate and do what was needed.  
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #93 on: September 20, 2011, 12:08:49 am »
LOL!!!

Del, men have been putting themselves at personal risk in a multitude of ways for humanity's entire history in order to ensure the survival of the species, tribe, country, and family. So I don't think men would shirk the responsibility of bearing children if that were the case. Honorable men would step up to the plate and do what was needed.

LOL, indeed.

Milo, up until about the past century, women of childbearing age had a much higher mortality rate than men. Can you guess why? Yep, that's right, they were putting themselves at personal risk in order to ensure the survival of the species, tribe, country and family.

Still, men's life expectancies -- especially in older age groups -- weren't always dramatically higher, despite their lower mortality rate in childbearing years. Why not? Says Wikipedia: "Traditional arguments tend to favor socio-environmental factors: historically, men have generally consumed more tobacco, alcohol and drugs than females in most societies, and are more likely to die from many associated diseases such as lung cancer, tuberculosis and cirrhosis of the liver."

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #94 on: September 20, 2011, 12:24:44 am »
LOL, indeed.

Milo, up until about the past century, women of childbearing age had a much higher mortality rate than men. Can you guess why? Yep, that's right, they were putting themselves at personal risk in order to ensure the survival of the species, tribe, country and family.

Still, men's life expectancies -- especially in older age groups -- weren't always dramatically higher, despite their lower mortality rate in childbearing years. Why not? Says Wikipedia: "Traditional arguments tend to favor socio-environmental factors: historically, men have generally consumed more tobacco, alcohol and drugs than females in most societies, and are more likely to die from many associated diseases such as lung cancer, tuberculosis and cirrhosis of the liver."

I get that. What Del is saying is that men wouldn't man-up if they had to bear children, and my point is that the history of men putting themselves at personal risk for the greater good suggests otherwise Hunting large mammals, defense, and working with potentially deadly machinery has been putting men at personal risk far more often than once every 9 months.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #95 on: September 20, 2011, 12:37:42 am »
LOL!!!

We were talking about a specific case here, Milo. ´

Besides, men can´t bear children so it must be up to the woman to decide how many kids she wants to have. Alma had a point  O0
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 04:16:06 am by Buffymon »

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #96 on: September 20, 2011, 06:03:10 am »
You sound angry about something or other, or so I gather from your use of "bloody well" as an adverb. But once again, I don't really know what you're getting at. Are you saying that Louise need not call herself a feminist because she can bloody well look after herself (requiring no help from feminism), or that by linking to her post I am implying she can not bloody well look after herself well enough to provide her own link? If it's the latter, is it your opinion that providing a link to other people's germane writing on a topic implies some sort of assumed helplessness on the part of the person who is linked? That would be a notion I haven't encountered before on the internet, where links to other writing are actually quite common. Me, I generally like it when someone provides a link to something I have written, and don't take it to mean the linker considers me incapable of bloody well looking after myself.

I gather you’d like a clarification, so here it is:

I mean that women who have benefitted from over 150 years of feminism, a legacy left to them by women who faced jail, ostracism and assaults just to be able to vote let alone anything else pertaining to women’s rights, but who coyly tell you that ‘I believe in equal rights but I’m not a feminist, you betcha’ deserve no concern from feminists on any occasion they have to deal with sexism.  

If a woman doesn’t want to get pregnant, or needs to terminate an unwanted or dangerous pregnancy, and she doesn’t have to resort to Preggers Roulette (a/k/a ‘natural family planning’) or a coat hangar, she’s benefitting from feminism, however put off she might be that some feminists don’t shave their legs.  Same goes for a woman who uses a credit card, who buys a house or car in her own name, who becomes a doctor or attorney or is able to divorce an abusive husband.  That’s a legacy that many women, and some far-sighted men, worked and sacrificed for and those people deserve better than to be blown off by those who have benefitted.

It’s a little like your car breaking down on a dark, isolated road in a cold rain and a truck driver picks you up.  He calls a tow truck to take your car to the nearest truck stop and gives you a ride there with the heater in the truck cab going full blast, and even offers to buy you a meal while your car is being repaired.  But on arrival, you tell him that you appreciate his help and you’ll definitely accept the offer of a meal, but can he please sit at a separate table and not let on that you’re with him?  After all, his shoes are muddy and he isn’t exactly young and cute so of course you don’t want to be seen with him; you have your image to think of – surely he understands, right?  

So no, I don’t respect that “I’m not a feminist” song and dance, and women past their 20s have even less justification for it than younger women.  They should know better; be they active on Bettermost or otherwise.  In that context I’d have more respect for women in the “full quiver” movement – they might be rejecting feminism but they’re at least being honest and consistent about it.  They’re not mooching off the efforts of women they openly despise.  And on occasions that women who are doing that find out that OMG, sexism isn’t dead after all and not all the battles have been won – well, they’ll have to deal with that on their own.  After all, that’s what they want.

All that said,, I did find the first post you directed me to unintentionally funny.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #97 on: September 20, 2011, 06:10:58 am »
Less people for more jobs means we can demand higher salaries.  Higher salaries, larger taxes.  It works out.  ;D

But I wonder how many people do have kids as part of their investment and retirement portfolio.  That would be an interesting question for Dave Ramsey to answer. 

I'm not being facetious.  In the good ol' days that Ron Paul wants to take us back to (e.g., Galveston in 1900), it was a common practice to take in a foster child to use as a free servant. 

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #98 on: September 20, 2011, 06:13:07 am »

Letting God do his will is basically letting nature take its course.  If it meant his death or his health was at risk, I daresay he'd interrupt God's will with medical treatment and surgery, but not when it comes to family planning and birth control.

Some animals 'know' better than peoiple in that respect.  Hens won't even lay eggs when the conditions aren't favorable for the babies' survival.  Nature doesn't necessarily go gaga over quantity in reproduction, at least not with mammals.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #99 on: September 20, 2011, 07:52:54 am »
Besides, men can´t bear children so it must be up to the woman to decide how many kids she wants to have. Alma had a point  O0

I would hope that a husband and wife would do the family planning together.