Author Topic: Christian Domestic Discipline  (Read 231749 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Christian Domestic Discipline
« Reply #160 on: August 27, 2014, 08:42:11 pm »
I still am curious, though, why if you accuse people like Selfish Reasons to Have More Kids author Bryan Caplan (economics professor at George Mason University, blogger for EconLog, writer for the New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal etc., author of an earlier book called "the best political book of the year" by the New York Times) -- if you accuse him of being an undercover white supremacist, then why you don't do the same for NYT columnist Ross Douthat, who is also white and has also argued in favor of the general public increasing their procreation rates, primarily (he claimed!) for economic reasons.

I'll respond to that when you respond to my question as to why something specifically urging white peope to have more kids isn't racist.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #161 on: August 27, 2014, 10:57:00 pm »
I'll respond to that when you respond to my question as to why something specifically urging white peope to have more kids isn't racist.

Hunh? Something specifically urging white people to have more kids obviously is racist.

My point is that if race isn't mentioned anywhere i the text, even if the author is white, his/her motivations aren't necessarily racist.

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #162 on: August 28, 2014, 08:44:19 am »
Not as long as you're not encouraging them to breed more babies so they don't get overwhelmed by people of other races.

Well, in the case of the NAACP, its a matter of becoming educated so that blacks can stop being overwhelmed by people of other races. Whether its babies or college degrees, its about competition.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #163 on: August 28, 2014, 09:29:07 am »
Hunh? Something specifically urging white people to have more kids obviously is racist.

My point is that if race isn't mentioned anywhere i the text, even if the author is white, his/her motivations aren't necessarily racist.

I'm not disputing that point. I agree with you. Nothing wrong at all with urging everyone to be fruitful and multiply for the good of the economy. But I confuse very easily these days, and I was under the impression we were discussing something and someone that was specifically complaining that white people weren't having enough babies.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #164 on: August 28, 2014, 12:49:50 pm »
I realize this was three years ago. But it started with me posting an article in which male authors advocated that people should have more babies. You said

And I bet all these authors, even any not mentioned here, are all white guys?  8)

and because the answer happens to be yes, you posited that they were instructing white people specifically to have more babies.

In any case, it sounds like we agree at this point. If a writer specifically urges white people to have more babies, it's probably racist (unless maybe s/he makes very clear that s/he's addressing white people specifically only because they're the demographic that has fallen behind in birth rate). If s/he doesn't specify race at all, then the message itself, at least, is not racist.

So after much confusion, it looks like we can conclude the debate, don't you think?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #165 on: August 28, 2014, 02:28:49 pm »
I realize this was three years ago. But it started with me posting an article in which male authors advocated that people should have more babies. You said

and because the answer happens to be yes, you posited that they were instructing white people specifically to have more babies.

In any case, it sounds like we agree at this point. If a writer specifically urges white people to have more babies, it's probably racist (unless maybe s/he makes very clear that s/he's addressing white people specifically only because they're the demographic that has fallen behind in birth rate). If s/he doesn't specify race at all, then the message itself, at least, is not racist.

So after much confusion, it looks like we can conclude the debate, don't you think?

Ay-yup.