Author Topic: Annie Proulx open to stage version of Brokeback Mountain  (Read 12088 times)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Annie Proulx open to stage version of Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2011, 06:21:15 pm »
    Brokeback Mountain
« on: Yesterday at 02:21:40 am »

Tonight, Annie Proulx led off the 2011-22012 season of Portland's Arts & Lectures to a sold out house of over 2500.  Oregondoggie was there.

In a relaxed and twinkling mood, she spoke for an hour about herself and her writing with an understandable emphasis on a new work under way whose theme is world-wide forest degradation. The loss of chestnuts, elms, butternuts, etc.. Then the microphones were opened up for questioning.

I was the first to step forward: "Ms. Proulx," I said, "The Laramie Project, the play based on the murder of Matthew Shepard, has become a formidable vehicle against Gay bashing and hatred. I know you have said, unlike Charles Dickens, story telling trumps social issues, but given that Brokeback Mountain changed many lives, brought resolution to long lost love, would you bless a stage version that could be performed in rural colleges and by local theater groups? If not, why not?"

With a big smile, she said at the moment no one except some Finns are interested. She looked at me. "If you are in theater, perhaps you can take on Brokeback Mountain!" She then went on to recall seeing the Laramie Project in the town of Laramie and the reaction of the local people. After the program I caught her exiting the stage door giving her a post card from Hamley's Saddle Store. "In honor Ennis Del Mar," I said. (It was the only thing Ennis read.)  "Why I didn't know Hamleys was still around," she said grinning like the cheshire cat. "Sure is", I said. "Over in Pendleton. Love Brokeback Mountain.  Like to leave copies in motels on top of Gideon Bibles!." We shook hands and she was off.

=====================
   This was quite surprising to me.  After the remark she made about the story she
had previously written.  "I wish I had never written it."  That was so disturbing to me, that I can sadly never place a lot of respect to her anymore.  It is obvious if it will help her in some way, like add more money or publicity to her new projects, it must have more import now.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 09:54:03 pm by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2011, 04:39:22 pm »
This is exciting news. Well done, Larry!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Oregondoggie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2011, 05:08:40 pm »
Wish I was a young actor.  What roles to sink one's teeth into!  What nuances to chew!
Each stage production a different part of the mountain.  Different weather.  
Imagine the opening scene.... On one side, in a shabby trailer, an aging man stirs his boiling coffee, looks through a window.

Then the lights come up outside another trailer.  
One by one, two ranch hands approach, not movie stars, just average looking boys, Ennis Del Mar and Jack Twist.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2011, 10:02:20 pm »
Wish I was a young actor.  What roles to sink one's teeth into!  What nuances to chew!

I think you'd make a perfect John C. Twist. You should audition for the part.

Offline Oregondoggie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2011, 01:20:07 am »

Hell, I kinda picture you as Laureen's father L.D. Newsome.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2011, 02:28:37 pm »
The cast is getting set, it seems. All we need now is the play.  8)  ;D
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 03:55:22 pm by Sason »

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2011, 02:52:33 pm »
Thank for your report Larry. How exciting! And very good to hear that Annie Proulx seemed relaxed and happy.